Astell&Kern Launches New R-2R DAP and IEMs at High End Munich 2023
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #391 of 732
If you don't understand, that's your problem.
Maybe you should organize a listening session of the SE300, and then, perhaps, you will understand the real quality of this DAP.

P..S of course SP1000 and SP2000 are fantastic DAPS . And SP3000 is the real TOTL of A&K .
But SE300 is a great product .
My opinion
I understand because ive compared them for 2 days. That was a rhetorical question.

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #392 of 732
Guys, catch a couple of life hacks that will come in handy and allow you to use the SE300 pleasantly with a minimum of difficulties.

1. Turn off the SE300 only if you will not use it for a long time. I never turn it off. It is enough to turn off wi-fi in the curtain from above and switch to AB mode, in this case the player practically does not discharge and spends the charge minimally. At the same time, I am always ready to play! Instantly, plugged in headphones, turned on wi-fi and go ahead. If you turn the player off and on every time, you will wait a long time until the player finally loads.

2. Update all applications manually. This is done elementary. Download new versions, connect the player to your PC \ laptop and drop it into the OpenService -> Download folder. Rename everything there according to the names of installed applications, go to the Download tab in the player and install new versions.

3. Turn off inactive applications. In the player, in the Open Service tab, next to each application that you rarely use, click on the "i" icon and select Force Stop.

These actions will allow you to get a more pleasant experience using the SE300. Peace!

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #393 of 732
Could someone explain one thing to me please: why would I buy a 2100e mid tier player when I can get a used sp1000 for half of the price, with more responsive UI, still more refined sound and smaller size.
4.4mm out isn't the reason I hope?
I have the SP1000 and also the SE300. Playing them both side by side the SE300 sounds better to me. The R2R dac produces a much more natural less "silicon" sound.

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #394 of 732
I have the SP1000 and also the SE300. Playing them both side by side the SE300 sounds better to me. The R2R dac produces a much more natural less "silicon" sound.
Completely opposite impressions. With u12t, Monarch 2, Softears Twilight, fostex th610, the se300 was definitely more digital sounding, with less refined, sharper notes. Also the layering was more flat, with weaker separation of plans in depth than on the sp1000. It was more like a flatter wall of sound. 4 other people shared the same impressions, including the owner of the audio shop who was more biased towards se300 wanting to sell it (one of the guys was an educated musician and an active sound engineer).
The sp1000 is more subtle, sweet, more analog and complex sounding. The se300 sounds rawer, more aggressive and energetic, which isnt a bad thing at all. It also has a very wide soundstage.
Great sounding device but overpriced imho. It should cost not more than the IBasso dx320 which is on the same level.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #395 of 732
Completely opposite impressions. With u12t, Monarch 2, Softears Twilight, fostex th610, the se300 was definitely more digital sounding, with less refined, sharper notes. Also the layering was more flat, with weaker separation of plans in depth than on the sp1000. It was more like a flatter wall of sound. 4 other people shared the same impressions, including the owner of the audio shop who was more biased towards se300 wanting to sell it (one of the guys was an educated musician and an active sound engineer).
The sp1000 is more subtle, sweet, more analog and complex sounding. The se300 sounds rawer, more aggressive and energetic, which isnt a bad thing at all. It also has a very wide soundstage.
Great sounding device but overpriced imho. It should cost not more than the IBasso dx320 which is on the same level.
I am playing it balanced through HE1000SE using NOS, Class A, low gain.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #397 of 732
does se300 play bit perfect through streaming app?

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #398 of 732
does se300 play bit perfect through streaming app?
Yes, there is just a little lag when opening and viewing the streaming app you are using. Fantastic sound

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #399 of 732
Yes, there is just a little lag when opening and viewing the streaming app you are using. Fantastic sound
No dap is perfect, each with different quirks but you lived with it for their respective different sound signature.

My 1am2 is considered slow & outdated cpu by many user when it was first launched. NOW it's considered super fast to me, after i used ak se300. But se300 r2r is really fantasic sounding, so i just have to bear with the lag during streaming.

I think the wifi performance is causing streaming app to have significant delay and lag. If you run streaming app in offline mode, its perfectly smooth and no lag

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #400 of 732
No dap is perfect, each with different quirks but you lived with it for their respective different sound signature.

My 1am2 is considered slow & outdated cpu by many user when it was first launched. NOW it's considered super fast to me, after i used ak se300. But se300 r2r is really fantasic sounding, so i just have to bear with the lag during streaming.

I think the wifi performance is causing streaming app to have significant delay and lag. If you run streaming app in offline mode, its perfectly smooth and no lag
Agree with this. After all it’s an balancing act between speed, sound and price. If you want insane speed and sound, you pay through your nose.

Personally sound is the most important to me, I’m not multitasking on my daps anw. Off the wifi, play downloaded songs from the streaming services and just enjoy the music.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #401 of 732
Jason can we find out what changes are in the new firmware SE300 v.1.06 It seems that the sound has become better, more voluminous in Nos + AB. I began to work faster. In OS mode, it looks like there are some positive changes in the upper frequencies. I would like to know what has been changed in more detail, but clearly something has been changed. It got better. My friends and I are laughing, the firmware from the titanium version SE300 turned out great :)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #402 of 732
Jason can we find out what changes are in the new firmware SE300 v.1.06 It seems that the sound has become better, more voluminous in Nos + AB. I began to work faster. In OS mode, it looks like there are some positive changes in the upper frequencies. I would like to know what has been changed in more detail, but clearly something has been changed. It got better. My friends and I are laughing, the firmware from the titanium version SE300 turned out great :)
1.06 fixes a bug that was introduced in 1.05 where APE files would not play at all or would stop during playback.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #403 of 732
Hey guys is it possible to use the SE300 via Bluetooth on Apple devices? (they need AAC and the support is not listed on different retailer pages).
If yes, could someone test if there is any lipsync delay on YouTube Videos or movies using a Mac?
I bought the Shanling H7 and I experienced this issue and now searching for an alternativ.

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #404 of 732
I am considering getting a se300. But disappointed to hear there some speed issues. Looks like the cheaper new kann has a 8core cpu but the se300 only has a 4core.

Nov 20, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #405 of 732
I am considering getting a se300. But disappointed to hear there some speed issues. Looks like the cheaper new kann has a 8core cpu but the se300 only has a 4core.
I recently purchased an SE300. Mostly happy with it but it is on the slower side, but still faster than my older AK players. I too wonder if I should have bought the new kann instead for better CPU and Roon ARC support. But I don't have any high impedance headphones that need the extra power of the Kann.
I also have Sony Android DAP and I would say for loading Qobuz or Apple Music similar levels of lag between the two. Neither is iPhone speed of course but still tolerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back