Astell&Kern Launches New R-2R DAP and IEMs at High End Munich 2023
Oct 23, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #361 of 746
I agree. I could understand if this was a completely costly and difficult situation not already solved my nearly every other streaming DAP company. AK, why not just do it right?
@JasonNYC can perhaps explain better, but the AK OS Is built around a walled garden principle. It is not an open android system unlike other brands. So, if what you want is a fully open android system, then you are better served with other brands of DAP. I think AK has always had the same architecture ever since they went on their modified android system from some time back. Unless AK overhauls their approach. I have other brands of DAPs which do not have the same issue logging on to hotel wifi. Flight wifi will work but intermittently because of the poor bandwidth. :)

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #362 of 746
FYI, next firmware update is expected to be released tomorrow, October 24 for the SE300. Expected early afternoon Korea time, middle of the night US. Firmware update contains a number of stability and bug fixes.
Quick check: don‘t suppose team has had time to look into installing QQ app into the SE300? Thanks!

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #363 of 746
I spoke to the team again last night and they confirmed that just like any of the previous AK players, the new players with the new UI also can sign into Wi-Fi sites requiring login through a captive portal. I have done this myself with the SR35 at the AXPONA show in April and the team sent someout out of the office to a Starbucks and hotel today in Korea and confirmed after connecting to the Wi-Fi access point at both with the SE300, after a minute, they swiped down from the top of the screen and there was a message in the notification bar saying to sign into Wi-Fi. They were able to click on it, open a browser page, log in and connect without issue on the previos firmware.

I will try and get to a hotel lobby or public Wi-Fi access point later today or tomorrow and confirm for myself.

Again, if this is not appearing on your player, I would recommend trying a soft reset to see if it fixes the issue. To soft reset - while the player is turned on, press and hold the power button for 8 - 10 seconds until the player shuts down, then press the power button to restart it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 24, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #365 of 746
Oct 24, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #366 of 746
I spoke to the team again last night and they confirmed that just like any of the previous AK players, the new players with the new UI also can sign into Wi-Fi sites requiring login through a captive portal. I have done this myself with the SR35 at the AXPONA show in April and the team sent someout out of the office to a Starbucks and hotel today in Korea and confirmed after connecting to the Wi-Fi access point at both with the SE300, after a minute, they swiped down from the top of the screen and there was a message in the notification bar saying to sign into Wi-Fi. They were able to click on it, open a browser page, log in and connect without issue on the previos firmware.

I will try and get to a hotel lobby or public Wi-Fi access point later today or tomorrow and confirm for myself.

Again, if this is not appearing on your player, I would recommend trying a soft reset to see if it fixes the issue. To soft reset - while the player is turned on, press and hold the power button for 8 - 10 seconds until the player shuts down, then press the power button to restart it.
On post #2923, in the SP3000 thread, I asked this question and you wrote:

If the wifi access point directs you to a login page after you xonnext, you should get the notification in the notification bar. If you have to manually go to a separate page in a browser you enter user name and password, then it would not work.

I understand that Wi-Fi will work in the case where only a password is needed, but many hotels and other venues require a browser login. This currently can not be done on A&K daps, correct?

The issue we have is browser oriented Wi-Fi sign in. Please clarify.

The SE300 sounds great, in my opinion, and I’m not expecting it A&K to switch to full android. But adding this capability would certainly be a welcome improvement. Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #367 of 746
On post #2923, in the SP3000 thread, I asked this question and you wrote:

If the wifi access point directs you to a login page after you xonnext, you should get the notification in the notification bar. If you have to manually go to a separate page in a browser you enter user name and password, then it would not work.

I understand that Wi-Fi will work in the case where only a password is needed, but many hotels and other venues require a browser login. This current can not be done on A&K daps, correct?

The issue we have is browser oriented Wi-Fi sign in. Please clarify.

The SE300 sounds great, in my opinion, and I’m not expecting it A&K to switch to full android. But adding this capability would certainly be a welcome improvement. Thanks.
Can we have browser access without full blown Android? Seems like something that is possible!?!?

Oct 25, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #368 of 746
Even with the latest update, the lag when opening and using Qobuz (installed with the latest version) has not disappeared.
At this point, I think it's a clear deficiency in the installed CPU.
It's a real shame that this amazing DAP has this hardware limitation

Oct 25, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #369 of 746
Even with the latest update, the lag when opening and using Qobuz (installed with the latest version) has not disappeared.
At this point, I think it's a clear deficiency in the installed CPU.
It's a real shame that this amazing DAP has this hardware limitation
Yes. SE300 is using old Rockchip RK3326. Even laggy DX170 has better CPU (RK356x?)

Oct 25, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #371 of 746
It's already a tradition, every new Astell&Kern product is great in its concept, but... there always has to be something wrong and there has to be some imperfection that spoils the whole really great idea.
In the case of A&K SE300 - it is its efficiency and speed of operation. :rolling_eyes:
and I guess that's all... because read this detailed review by friend SandalAudio from Japan (warm regards) where he explains the possibilities of this model, especially with OS and NOS - I think it is best described and explained here.
SE300 It's a great product, I listened to it myself - but the speed of operation is just very slow.
Maybe there is still a chance to improve something with the new firmware ?
I am optimistic.:thumbsup:

https://sandalaudio-blogspot-com.tr...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=pl&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #372 of 746
Honestly, I don’t regret buying the SE300, I’m not selling it and I’d buy it again knowing all that I know. Lagginess is bothersome, I’m even more bothered by the web page login in issue. I have three DAPs from three different companies and none are perfect, I think maybe that’s the nature of highly specialized items that have relatively small production runs. However, they are expensive and it’s not wrong to have high expectations. My comments (and I hope the comments of others) are not meant to trash A&K but to offer constructive comments on what customers want and how they can improve their products.

Oct 25, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #373 of 746
Honestly, I don’t regret buying the SE300, I’m not selling it and I’d buy it again knowing all that I know. Lagginess is bothersome, I’m even more bothered by the web page login in issue. I have three DAPs from three different companies and none are perfect, I think maybe that’s the nature of highly specialized items that have relatively small production runs. However, they are expensive and it’s not wrong to have high expectations. My comments (and I hope the comments of others) are not meant to trash A&K but to offer constructive comments on what customers want and how they can improve their products.
Fully agree. The machine sounds great. I know that’s the emphasis of the creation, but the limits are infuriating…especially given the cost.

Oct 27, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #374 of 746
A&K SE300 what Android version is it based on?
After the last firmware update v1.050 from 24.10.2023 what has changed,services work faster - is there an improvement?

Does the Titanium version always have a leather cover included?
Is it a separate, limited version of 600 pieces with a cover - opinions are divided.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #375 of 746
A&K SE300 what Android version is it based on?
After the last firmware update v1.050 from 24.10.2023 what has changed,services work faster - is there an improvement?

Does the Titanium version always have a leather cover included?
Is it a separate, limited version of 600 pieces with a cover - opinions are divided.
It is based on Android 9(Pie).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back