Astell&Kern Launches New R-2R DAP and IEMs at High End Munich 2023
Oct 28, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #378 of 732
update no good for Tidal or Qobuz. This is the only device company I keep spending money on and hoping the manufacturer desire their customers enjoy the full benefits from the products as advertised. I’d never accept these shortcomings from anything else this expensive. Same when I finally gave up on the SE2000. It’s not enough to just sound good when you’ve assured the capacity to use wireless and stream and playback stored items without stutter. If you’d indicated that these wouldn’t be possible, I would have invested differently. Sorry for venting, but…

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #379 of 732
update no good for Tidal or Qobuz. This is the only device company I keep spending money on and hoping the manufacturer desire their customers enjoy the full benefits from the products as advertised. I’d never accept these shortcomings from anything else this expensive. Same when I finally gave up on the SE2000. It’s not enough to just sound good when you’ve assured the capacity to use wireless and stream and playback stored items without stutter. If you’d indicated that these wouldn’t be possible, I would have invested differently. Sorry for venting, but…
Not at all, thank you for sharing your impressions, there is no way I’d buy a device with these issues.

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #380 of 732
Cancelled my SE300 purchase, after reading all this

Oct 29, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #381 of 732
Cancelled my SE300 purchase, after reading all this
Some problems are exaggerated. Yes, weak hardware is installed in the SE300. But this is a player, not a smartphone. In flash drive mode, it works smartly. But I'm 95% using only Qobuz/Tidal streaming services. It also works there without any problems. It cannot be said that it is very slow or bad. Update the apps manually. install the latest versions.
WiFi works well. Always a stable connection. After updating the firmware, I connected to Wifi5. If you have weak WiFi operation, upgrade your router.

Everything works stably. After the last firmware, it became more responsive. It cannot be said that there are any critical problems. All players have their own nuances. Judging by the price / quality / sound, the SE300 confidently takes top places.

In AK, over time, they may still improve their work, but they hope for global changes, of course, it's not worth it because of weak hardware. But in general, the player works well, there are no serious complaints and there can not be. And everything sounds great in general!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #383 of 732
Some problems are exaggerated. Yes, weak hardware is installed in the SE300. But this is a player, not a smartphone. In flash drive mode, it works smartly. But I'm 95% using only Qobuz/Tidal streaming services. It also works there without any problems. It cannot be said that it is very slow or bad. Update the apps manually. install the latest versions.
WiFi works well. Always a stable connection. After updating the firmware, I connected to Wifi5. If you have weak WiFi operation, upgrade your router.

Everything works stably. After the last firmware, it became more responsive. It cannot be said that there are any critical problems. All players have their own nuances. Judging by the price / quality / sound, the SE300 confidently takes top places.

In AK, over time, they may still improve their work, but they hope for global changes, of course, it's not worth it because of weak hardware. But in general, the player works well, there are no serious complaints and there can not be. And everything sounds great in general!
Thanks for sharing this

Oct 29, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #384 of 732

Thanks for sharing this
I totally agree with this point of view. The se300 sound amazing and I tried a lot before choosing this one.

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #387 of 732
Could someone explain one thing to me please: why would I buy a 2100e mid tier player when I can get a used sp1000 for half of the price, with more responsive UI, still more refined sound and smaller size.
4.4mm out isn't the reason I hope?

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #388 of 732
Could someone explain one thing to me please: why would I buy a 2100e mid tier player when I can get a used sp1000 for half of the price, with more responsive UI, still more refined sound and smaller size.
4.4mm out isn't the reason I hope?
1) SE300 has the new user interface (like SP3000 for example) and it is much better and faster than the old one which you can find in SP1000/2000
2) the sound in the SE300 is absolutely fantastic, with R2R DAC (first time for A&K), with A and AB amplification options, high/low gain, NOS/OS .
3) the SE300 has a light weight, just the right size to be truly portable.
4) The SE300 has 4.4 balanced output which is the standard of all IEMs released recently.

The SE300 has only 1 problem : CPU !
This causes some annoying lag when using streaming apps (startup and slowness in the app interface, for example Qobuz).
But the sound has no problems and is absolutely wonderful

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #389 of 732
1) SE300 has the new user interface (like SP3000 for example) and it is much better and faster than the old one which you can find in SP1000/2000
2) the sound in the SE300 is absolutely fantastic, with R2R DAC (first time for A&K), with A and AB amplification options, high/low gain, NOS/OS .
3) the SE300 has a light weight, just the right size to be truly portable.
4) The SE300 has 4.4 balanced output which is the standard of all IEMs released recently.

The SE300 has only 1 problem : CPU !
This causes some annoying lag when using streaming apps (startup and slowness in the app interface, for example Qobuz).
But the sound has no problems and is absolutely wonderful
I still cant see any advantage over the used sp1000 or sp2000. Not in speed operation and not in sound.

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #390 of 732
I still cant see any advantage over the used sp1000 or sp2000. Not in speed operation and not in sound.
If you don't understand, that's your problem.
Maybe you should organize a listening session of the SE300, and then, perhaps, you will understand the real quality of this DAP.

P..S of course SP1000 and SP2000 are fantastic DAPS . And SP3000 is the real TOTL of A&K .
But SE300 is a great product .
My opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back