Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Nov 2, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #376 of 2,082
Impedances for different ports are on the ak website. Anyway:

0.8 from 3.5
1.8 from 4.4
2 from 2.5

For me 2 for Andros is good since with too much low impedance they become warmer and less sparkly
Oh sorry I didn’t realise they publish the ratings. Thanks again :)

I’m going to pick up an Alpha on Wednesday. Can’t wait to hear it!

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #377 of 2,082
Oh sorry I didn’t realise they publish the ratings. Thanks again :)

I’m going to pick up an Alpha on Wednesday. Can’t wait to hear it!

If you try it with sensitive iems let me know if you can detect hiss. I still can believe it’s so silent in low gain...:)

Nov 2, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #379 of 2,082
Has anyone tried sensitive IEM’s with an alpha? Any hiss?
O hiss with CA Dorado 2020 which says a lot. In fact id go as far to say that the key to this device's sweet sound is the quiet background, all A&K have this to some extent, here this is even better with the extra mellow but highly resolving character. A winner really, sounds fun and sophisticated at the same time.
Downsides for me:
1 weight (whilst very comfortable and ergonomically brilliant it's still heavier than my other daps)
2 Tidal, can't download albums to device.

And..i wish there'll be a special light for MQA
Add amp gain and filter to notification menu.

All fixable and simples!

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #381 of 2,082
O hiss with CA Dorado 2020 which says a lot. In fact id go as far to say that the key to this device's sweet sound is the quiet background, all A&K have this to some extent, here this is even better with the extra mellow but highly resolving character. A winner really, sounds fun and sophisticated at the same time.
Downsides for me:
1 weight (whilst very comfortable and ergonomically brilliant it's still heavier than my other daps)
2 Tidal, can't download albums to device.

And..i wish there'll be a special light for MQA
Add amp gain and filter to notification menu.

All fixable and simples!
For me its weight of 318g is an advantage given its small size (it helps it feel solid in the hand and there are no unwanted falls). You can easily download albums from side-loading Tidal applications. It can be accessed from any point to the gain and filter by swiping the screen with your finger down and clicking on settings (all without leaving the service you are using). I agree on the soft and fun sound at the same time. I think it's a very complete Hi-Fi experience. Greetings and enjoy your Kann ALpha.

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #382 of 2,082
For me its weight of 318g is an advantage given its small size (it helps it feel solid in the hand and there are no unwanted falls). You can easily download albums from side-loading Tidal applications. It can be accessed from any point to the gain and filter by swiping the screen with your finger down and clicking on settings (all without leaving the service you are using). I agree on the soft and fun sound at the same time. I think it's a very complete Hi-Fi experience. Greetings and enjoy your Kann ALpha.
Thank you, I'm not really in the know of the extra ways, side loading apps?
Is there a link to some info.
Yes, of course you can go to the settings menu, but I'll be nice to have a shortcut instead of less useful ones there, it's very doable, that's the point.

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #383 of 2,082
Thank you, I'm not really in the know of the extra ways, side loading apps?
Is there a link to some info.
Yes, of course you can go to the settings menu, but I'll be nice to have a shortcut instead of less useful ones there, it's very doable, that's the point.
You can see all the information about Open App https://us.astellnkern.com/apps/help-center#hc-what-music-streaming-services-are-supported-by-openapp if you have any problems after reading and installing what you need, feel free to ask me.

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #385 of 2,082
Well it seems for now the Alpha doesn't support offline Tidal content unlike the other daps in the family.
Not with the installed app anyway.
Found this though
Tidal Mid Apk and it looks and works like the one on my phone.
Yeyy😇👍

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #386 of 2,082
Well it seems for now the Alpha doesn't support offline Tidal content unlike the other daps in the family
You have to select in Open App side loading Tidal (offline content only). You can save offline downloads to both internal and microSD memory.

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #387 of 2,082
You have to select in Open App side loading Tidal (offline content only). You can save offline downloads to both internal and microSD memory.
Not sure i understand, tried everything on the pre installed app, no options for offline there

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #388 of 2,082
Thats ver. 2.32.1 doesn't seem to have offline option
An older version i downloaded works with the old interface but all options are there plus pop up screen on notification panel which is missing in new version

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #389 of 2,082
Not sure i understand, tried everything on the pre installed app, no options for offline there
You need to download the APK version of tidal (not the preinstalled one), and then you’ll be able to download stuff. You can get it at a website like apkpure

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #390 of 2,082
You need to download the APK version of tidal (not the preinstalled one), and then you’ll be able to download stuff. You can get it at a website like apkpure
I did, but there's only one version there, same one sadly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back