Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Nov 6, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #406 of 2,082
How’s the WiFi on this model? I was surprised to see there is still no 5GHz.

Wifi works perfectly. In fact, I prefer 2.4GZ to 5Gz ... There are many people complaining about other DAPs with 5G because of interference and noise ... This does not happen in Kann Alpha.

Nov 6, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #408 of 2,082
How’s the WiFi on this model? I was surprised to see there is still no 5GHz.

Ok, but not great. This was actually my biggest concern before I bought it, since I pretty much listen to 100% streamed music... In my home office, I've got two computers and my phone on wifi. None of those devices have *ever* dropped a connection, and have zero problems. Kann Alpha? Craps out all the time. I've found that if I set it up on its bottom, it works much better than if it is laying flat. But if the door is closed, I can only get through like 2 songs. It's not a deal breaker, and I'd buy it again because I love it otherwise, but it is definitely my least favorite aspect of the device.

Nov 6, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #409 of 2,082
Ok, but not great. This was actually my biggest concern before I bought it, since I pretty much listen to 100% streamed music... In my home office, I've got two computers and my phone on wifi. None of those devices have *ever* dropped a connection, and have zero problems. Kann Alpha? Craps out all the time. I've found that if I set it up on its bottom, it works much better than if it is laying flat. But if the door is closed, I can only get through like 2 songs. It's not a deal breaker, and I'd buy it again because I love it otherwise, but it is definitely my least favorite aspect of the device.

All those Wi-Fi equipment could be stealing Kann Alpha's bandwidth? That possibility is possible ... You could also try installing a wifi repeater in your home office if you are going to close the door to work and your router is far away ... Another option is the offline Tidal-Qpbuz ... No closed doors I don't have any problem with the connection ... I've been streaming Tidal for 10 hours straight today and not a single cut in playback (even downloading to the offline folder at the same time on the micro-sd).

Nov 6, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #410 of 2,082
All those Wi-Fi equipment could be stealing Kann Alpha's bandwidth? That possibility is possible ... You could also try installing a wifi repeater in your home office if you are going to close the door to work and your router is far away ... Another option is the offline Tidal-Qpbuz ... No closed doors I don't have any problem with the connection ... I've been streaming Tidal for 10 hours straight today and not a single cut in playback (even downloading to the offline folder at the same time on the micro-sd).

It's not a bandwidth stealing issue. It's just that the Alpha doesn't have as robust a receiver as the other stuff. (I'll have full 5 bars on everything else, but the Kann is like 1 bar.) A wifi extender would probably help, but it hasn't gotten irritating enough for me to go down that route yet. We'll see. I might get a longer cable (was going to do that anyway), then see if I can put it on the other side of all the stuff on my desk.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #412 of 2,082
New KANN ALPHA owner here and I'm wondering how I confirm MQA is unfolding properly on the side-loaded Tidal app. Playing the same song on the native app and the side-loaded app has a different color on the LED indicator:

Side-loaded app: Shows Master on the screen, blue LED (32bit?)
IMG_5106.jpeg

Native app: Blue dot on player, green LED (24bit?)
IMG_5107.jpeg

Why isn't the LED color the same for the same stream between the two different apps? I tried multiple tracks and it appears on the native app the LED is always green with MQA and the side-loaded app is blue. Is this how it should be? Thanks for any insight @JasonNYC or any users who have any have any input!

EDIT: Similar behavior in Qobuz. LED is always red, even for a 24/96 or 24/192 file. Is this normal? How do you validate it's actually playing bit perfect?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #413 of 2,082
Second issue, in Qobuz when I try to move the download location to the SD card it doesn't work. First prompt says "Switching storage locations ill move Qobuz files from an old folder to a new one. This may take some time. Please check your device power supply and keep the app alive." There are no files since it's a new device/install. Hit okay then new prompt "If you attempt to move to sd card, reboot your device and try again." Which I have done, but it still keeps the download destination as the internal storage. I confirmed the app has storage authority in the "app authority" section. Has anyone got this working?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #414 of 2,082
New KANN ALPHA owner here and I'm wondering how I confirm MQA is unfolding properly on the side-loaded Tidal app. Playing the same song on the native app and the side-loaded app has a different color on the LED indicator:

IMG_5106.jpeg

IMG_5107.jpeg

Why isn't the LED color the same for the same stream between the two different apps? I tried multiple tracks and it appears on the native app the LED is always green with MQA and the side-loaded app is blue. Is this how it should be? Thanks for any insight @JasonNYC or any users who have any have any input!

Looks real nice. How does it sound?

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #415 of 2,082
Second issue, in Qobuz when I try to move the download location to the SD card it doesn't work. First prompt says "Switching storage locations ill move Qobuz files from an old folder to a new one. This may take some time. Please check your device power supply and keep the app alive." There are no files since it's a new device/install. Hit okay then new prompt "If you attempt to move to sd card, reboot your device and try again." Which I have done, but it still keeps the download destination as the internal storage. I confirmed the app has storage authority in the "app authority" section. Has anyone got this working?
You have to select the import option and there select the sd card. You have probably selected the 'downloads' option (which is for purchased music). To me, works perfectly.

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #416 of 2,082

IMG_5106.jpeg

IMG_5107.jpeg

Jason explained that the light, even though it is displayed in blue, MQA is displaying well. The important thing is that in side loading the 'Master' screen appears on the screen, and above all and more important ... that it sounds good ... :darthsmile:

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #417 of 2,082
You have to select the import option and there select the sd card. You have probably selected the 'downloads' option (which is for purchased music). To me, works perfectly.
That was it. I thought downloads meant downloads for offline listening (how silly of me) :wink:
Jason explained that the light, even though it is displayed in blue, MQA is displaying well. The important thing is that in side loading the 'Master' screen appears on the screen, and above all and more important ... that it sounds good ... :darthsmile:
That's unfortunate because that doesn't necessarily validate anything is happening beyond the Tidal app doing the core unfold. The "Master" logo displays on Tidal for iOS, even if you're listening through non-MQA compatible devices like bluetooth or you're listening through a MFi certified lightning device (like the Audeze Cipher cable), which is limited to 24/48. Same with Android even though the OS resamples everything 48kHz. The Android app will show Master, but you're definitely not hearing MQA on most Android phones (some like LG support). There should be some other kind of visual validation, like on the native app that shows MQA and the blue or yellow dot indicator. Other DAP manufactures show the sample rate in the notification bar (like HiBy) and some have the MQA logo itself along with the sample rate (like FiiO).

EDIT: Can you link to the post? I can't find it.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #418 of 2,082
That was it. I thought downloads meant downloads for offline listening (how silly of me) :wink:
That's unfortunate because that doesn't necessarily validate anything is happening beyond the Tidal app doing the core unfold. The "Master" logo displays on Tidal for iOS, even if you're listening through non-MQA compatible devices like bluetooth or you're listening through a MFi certified lightning device (like the Audeze Cipher cable), which is limited to 24/48. Same with Android even though the OS resamples everything 48kHz. The Android app will show Master, but you're definitely not hearing MQA on most Android phones (some like LG support). There should be some other kind of visual validation, like on the native app that shows MQA and the blue or yellow dot indicator. Other DAP manufactures show the sample rate in the notification bar (like HiBy) and some have the MQA logo itself along with the sample rate (like FiiO).

EDIT: Can you link to the post? I can't find it.

I'm glad you fixed the Qobuz thing. As for MQA, you may be right and of course a visual validation would be better ... But I play MQA on LgV30 and Pro-ject Prebox S2 and the truth is that it sounds just as good to me in Alpha (side loading and app default). I know well the resampling of Android to 48Kh (for which I use Uapp in LgV30), but the fact is that in Kann Alpha it does not sound bad to me as it does in Android without Uapp. .. Anyway, I trust my ears more than the lights ... In fact, I don't use the color led much in Kann ALpha, I prefer to extend the quality of battery life ... Try to do a test (a / b) with the same track in default Tidal Vs Side Tidal heeding your ears ... we'll see what happens ...

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #419 of 2,082
I'm glad you fixed the Qobuz thing. As for MQA, you may be right and of course a visual validation would be better ... But I play MQA on LgV30 and Pro-ject Prebox S2 and the truth is that it sounds just as good to me in Alpha (side loading and app default). I know well the resampling of Android to 48Kh (for which I use Uapp in LgV30), but the fact is that in Kann Alpha it does not sound bad to me as it does in Android without Uapp. .. Anyway, I trust my ears more than the lights ... In fact, I don't use the color led much in Kann ALpha, I prefer to extend the quality of battery life ... Try to do a test (a / b) with the same track in default Tidal Vs Side Tidal heeding your ears ... we'll see what happens ...

im a SE200 owner i can tell the SQ is better in built in Tidal vs side loaded Tidal.AB test the same song in master.
Better in transparency, tighter bass response, imaging. I dunno if AK has done someone on built in Tidal or side loaded Tidal is not playing in bit perfect.

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #420 of 2,082
All these positive reviews is pushing me to get a new KANN ALPHA over a steal priced used HiBy R8! :gs1000smile:

Still on the same fence I am afraid.. :)

P.s. btw where Is the R8 deal? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back