Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Nov 7, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #421 of 2,084
im a SE200 owner i can tell the SQ is better in built in Tidal vs side loaded Tidal.AB test the same song in master.
Better in transparency, tighter bass response, imaging. I dunno if AK has done someone on built in Tidal or side loaded Tidal is not playing in bit perfect.

New A&K Kann Alpha owner here, using it with the Meze Empyreans. Long time audiophile who took the last 10 years off due to having built-in in-wall speakers at my current home (can't have floor standing larger speakers with wiring everywhere), miss my audiophile hobby for the last 10 years, just came back a couple of weeks ago via the Empyrean headphones and the Kann Alpha in hopes of having some level of enjoyment despite not being able to have floor standing large speakers.

Thus far, for the last week or so having this 2-component set up, using Tidal Hifi MQA, the sound has been quite good. Different experience from listening to full range floor standing speakers, as there is no visceral impact at all listening through headphones (of course), but at the same time, there is a different sense of intimacy that i haven't experienced in many years now (a long long time ago, i had Stax electrostatics along with large floor standing speakers, when my then home could accommodate floorstanding speakers).

Listening to rock/pop, solo classical piano (big fan of classical piano), orchestral pieces, tons of details that i haven't heard previously via floor standing speakers.

With that long preamble, may i ask if anyone compared the Kann Alpha's performance versus a very good current generation desktop DAC w/MQA? Example, how would the Kann Alpha compare with, say, a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ or similar? Topping D90 w/MQA?

Thank you all in advance.

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #422 of 2,084
PS: has anyone used the Kann Alpha connected to their desktop Windows 10 PC?

can we use the Tidal desktop app (on a Windows 10 PC) and connect the Kann Alpha to the desktop PC's USB port and have the Kann Alpha work as a DAC with MQA?

thank you.

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #423 of 2,084
PS: has anyone used the Kann Alpha connected to their desktop Windows 10 PC?

can we use the Tidal desktop app (on a Windows 10 PC) and connect the Kann Alpha to the desktop PC's USB port and have the Kann Alpha work as a DAC with MQA?

thank you.

I have, but not with 100% success. For example, I couldn't get the Spotify desktop app to play through it no matter what I did, but had no trouble with the web version (or anything on the web, for that matter, or on my computer in general). I haven't tried Tidal, so can't speak to that specifically. I suspect this may come down to growing pains that will eventually go away after a firmware update or two...

Nov 8, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #424 of 2,084
Hi guys. Considering to upgrade from SR25 to Alpha and to drive the new Audio Technica 2000Ti instead of my current ath a1000z. I really like the signature of both but want more details and punch also overall higher level. My main source are Tidal and local DSD/Hi res PCM collection.

Did you compare the SR25 and Alpha. Is sonical perfomance significnatly better? What are main improvements?

Did you compare the Alpha and SE200. Is price difference making SE200 better only in terms of double dac set-up (flexibility of sonic perfomance adjustment)?

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #425 of 2,084
New KANN ALPHA owner here and I'm wondering how I confirm MQA is unfolding properly on the side-loaded Tidal app. Playing the same song on the native app and the side-loaded app has a different color on the LED indicator:

Side-loaded app: Shows Master on the screen, blue LED (32bit?)
IMG_5106.jpeg

Native app: Blue dot on player, green LED (24bit?)
IMG_5107.jpeg

Why isn't the LED color the same for the same stream between the two different apps? I tried multiple tracks and it appears on the native app the LED is always green with MQA and the side-loaded app is blue. Is this how it should be? Thanks for any insight @JasonNYC or any users who have any have any input!

EDIT: Similar behavior in Qobuz. LED is always red, even for a 24/96 or 24/192 file. Is this normal? How do you validate it's actually playing bit perfect?

I am a bit concerned on that matter too.

Considering that you can't use apps like UAPP on this kind of OS (if I got It right) then can you confirm me this DAP can work out bit perfect and MQA at a system level, regardless of the app used?

I would be buying It only if sure I can get same (or Better) quality of processing ie. A Tidal Master in the same stream I would have with UAPP+Tidal on a smartphone, sent It to an external DAC/amp. :)

Btw, I also did not get in the end if you think this DAP being superior to the N6ii and, in case, under what parameter (SQ, usability, ability to drive stuff, ease of sinergy, etc ..).

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #426 of 2,084
Hi guys. Considering to upgrade from SR25 to Alpha and to drive the new Audio Technica 2000Ti instead of my current ath a1000z. I really like the signature of both but want more details and punch also overall higher level. My main source are Tidal and local DSD/Hi res PCM collection.

Did you compare the SR25 and Alpha. Is sonical perfomance significnatly better? What are main improvements?

Did you compare the Alpha and SE200. Is price difference making SE200 better only in terms of double dac set-up (flexibility of sonic perfomance adjustment)?

I've directly compared SR25 and SE200, owning the former. SE200 is extremely resolving on the AKM side, less so on the ESS DAC's. DAC filters can be user selected with a minimal change to sound signature. To me the SE200 is a rather analytical DAP that looks to achieve technical prowess above all else including musicality. SE200 is built to a higher standard than SR25. Personally very much liking the design, however I wont opt for the SE200 as I far prefer more natural sources, wanting to enjoy my music, not have it picked apart Bit by Bit so to speak.

SR25 ticks a lot of of boxes, has a smooth well balanced tonality. The DAP is mostly a well rounded package, doesn't excel sonically in any singular or specific manner. More that the SR25 is enjoyable for what it is, yet retains the A&K house sound. Some have had issue with WiFi, my own SR25 has not had any problems on the home network. I rather suspect the wireless issues are a combination of A&K's power saving measures and some wireless routers compatibility. For a portable the SR25 does excel as it's major strong points being; battery runtime, pocketable size, smooth UI all with a very good level of audio performance.

SA700 is very mid focused, heavy, runs hot and the UI is significantly slower than SR25 & SE200. SA700 feels in use like a generation or two behind. Again build quality exceeds SR25, sound signature you could become accustomed too, initially feels like the low end and top end are reassessed. Reality, it's more related to the boosted mid's which tend to dominate the listening experience. With SA700 you'd certainly want to pick the HP/IEM with some consideration given the elevated mid's.

Waiting on the Kann Alpha locally to listen to directly. There's a lot of talk on the DAP, yet very little as to exactly how the DAP sounds/leans, which tends to make me think that the Alpha will be a very neutral DAP and potentially less natural. Have read a couple of posts stating that the Alpha may not be the best option to pair with brighter IEM's which again reinforces a neutral tendency and potentially a touch brighter with A&K's house sound, personally preferring a signature edging more towards the Kann Cube with a tighter control of the bass. I'll see soon enough...

Q-6

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #427 of 2,084
Hi,
im strongly considering this Dap but have some questions. Has anyone been able to sideload Roon? Has anyone had good luck powering some HD800s’? The power specs make it hard to determine if they will power them well. These headphones are tricky To power. I also use iems but curious about the Senns.
thanks

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #428 of 2,084
Considering this DAP as an upgrade for my current SR25 and pair it with the new Audio Technica Technica closed flagship models. I want more details and a bit more punchy bass.

As Tidal active user and also MQA curious about that Alpha feature - hardware full decoder.

How it performs in terms of MQA decoding comparing SR25? What is MQA 8x means, is it support by SR25? Or it is exclusive for Alpha?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #429 of 2,084
Hi,
im strongly considering this Dap but have some questions. Has anyone been able to sideload Roon? Has anyone had good luck powering some HD800s’? The power specs make it hard to determine if they will power them well. These headphones are tricky To power. I also use iems but curious about the Senns.
thanks

I was able to power the HD800s with my Alpha no problem on mid gain.

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #431 of 2,084
Nov 10, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #432 of 2,084
Well, it has been fast ... Did you update? What changes are there?
Cant see anything else than the bit rate info being added, but yeah, great to see they're on it fast👍

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #433 of 2,084
Cant see anything else than the bit rate info being added, but yeah, great to see they're on it fast👍

In streaming apps is the bit rate shown on the screen also added?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back