Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Nov 1, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #361 of 2,084
I think if you read, I've answered the question. It's quite simple to understand if you read between the lines... And I've not taken it at all like no attack on the DAP... What's more I have no interest in defending any DAP or any iem or any audio brand... I just don't think there's a player that at some point doesn't whistle with the combination of thousands of iems and billions of songs. Greetings. :beerchug:
Okay so what’s your answer? That you haven’t noticed any hiss?

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #362 of 2,084
Okay so what’s your answer? That you haven’t noticed any hiss?
I understand hissing as an emphasis on 'S' eses in some songs. In that sense, yes. In some songs... If we're talking about nasty whistles that produce rejection,,, in that case, no.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #363 of 2,084
I think if you read, I've answered the question. It's quite simple to understand if you read between the lines... And I've not taken it at all like no attack on the DAP... What's more I have no interest in defending any DAP or any iem or any audio brand... I just don't think there's a player that at some point doesn't whistle with the combination of thousands of iems and billions of songs. Greetings. :beerchug:

Edit: with my Iem Dunu DK-3001pro (18 ohms and 112db sensitivity) in some song I noticed Hiss...

Okay I see that you’ve edited your post with an answer. That’s great, thank you for letting me know. :)

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #364 of 2,084
I think the general consensus on sensitive IEMs hissing doesn't have to do with songs but the amp part of the players or any amp. I have the CA Polaris V2 IEMs and they hiss crazy with my DAC-9H but it is 1W output with no gain options so not for IEMs. My Hip DAC causes hissing, even on low gain and so did my red and cobalt dragonfly when I still had them. Now my ZX507 doesn't cause any hiss, silent dead with the Polaris V2. Same with the DX160 when I had it, no hissing on low or high gain. Hissing at listening levels or a little louder that is. If I crank both DAPs up, I have hiss but if you play something at that level, your ears or IEMs will blow up!

I have a profound hate for amp hiss, when present, it ruins my experience completely. Some recordings have hiss/artefacts too and nothing we can do about those. I hate them too.

Still very interested in this DAP, waiting for people to use it and review it.

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #366 of 2,084
I understand hissing as an emphasis on 'S' eses in some songs. In that sense, yes. In some songs... If we're talking about nasty whistles that produce rejection,,, in that case, no.
What you're describing is sibilance. Hiss is the transducer picking the noise floor of the amp. Certain sensitive IEMs will do this on certain DAPs, but it has nothing to do with the recording itself (or sibilance).

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #367 of 2,084
What you're describing is sibilance. Hiss is the transducer picking the noise floor of the amp. Certain sensitive IEMs will do this on certain DAPs, but it has nothing to do with the recording itself (or sibilance).
Well, thanks for the correction. In that case what I perceive is wheezing in some songs with my iem Dunu (which does not happen when I plug them into other sources). Background noise is not at all. It's a very clear player. It's clearer than my desktop DAC.

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #369 of 2,084
I'm getting some music playing interruptions could be because I'm downloading a lot of music for offline folder.

I get them too, but I notice that it happens when the wifi craps out, and then the device gets confused and sits there rather than reconnecting. Once I mess with it, then it reconnects and everything is fine again.

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #371 of 2,084
I get them too, but I notice that it happens when the wifi craps out, and then the device gets confused and sits there rather than reconnecting. Once I mess with it, then it reconnects and everything is fine again.
Right, same here. But I don't see it as something to worry about.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #372 of 2,084
Has anyone tried sensitive IEM’s with an alpha? Any hiss?

Yesterday I tested Andromeda 2019 with Kann Alpha, low gain, balanced 2.5 streaming from Apple music. Started a song and decreased the volume down to 0. No hiss, absolutely silent. I was really surprised tbh. I don’t know how they did it considering the power of the Kann amp..

If someone else can check with andros or solaris and let us know, I start to doubt my ears haah

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #373 of 2,084
Yesterday I tested Andromeda 2019 with Kann Alpha, low gain, balanced 2.5 streaming from Apple music. Started a song and decreased the volume down to 0. No hiss, absolutely silent. I was really surprised tbh
That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing that. I’m guessing AK don’t share output impedance ratings but did it sound like the impedance was low with the Andro?

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #374 of 2,084
That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing that. I’m guessing AK don’t share output impedance ratings but did it sound like the impedance was low with the Andro?

Impedances for different ports are on the ak website. Anyway:

0.8 from 3.5
1.8 from 4.4
2 from 2.5

For me 2 for Andros is good since with too much low impedance they become warmer and less sparkly

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #375 of 2,084

DDFF7628-8D1D-43A5-A3A7-F05C923537EA.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back