Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Nov 1, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #346 of 2,084
Yeah, try to keep it between 20% and 90%, maybe run dry til auto shutoff and then fully charge to 100% every 60-90 days to calibrate battery (though not sure if this is needed with more modern Li-Ion, I still do it with rechargeable-battery powered devices)

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #347 of 2,084
charge it to 90% then use it down to 20%.
Yeah, try to keep it between 20% and 90%, maybe run dry til auto shutoff and then fully charge to 100% every 60-90 days to calibrate battery (though not sure if this is needed with more modern Li-Ion, I still do it with rechargeable-battery powered devices)

@simon740 and @feverfive: thank you both kindly for your replies. yes, my limited understanding is that lithium batteries do NOT like to be drained down to zero, nor does it like to be topped off to 100%.

question: is my usage scenario for a portable like the Alpha totally unorthodox? after all, this is a portable device, as they took great pains to have special circuit parts made in Japan in order to miniaturize the Alpha. still, do folks really use it at the desk 90%+ of the time like i intend to do? my original idea was to buy a Mytel Brooklyn DAC+ to use at my computer desk, where i spend 5+ hours per day at, and then buy a portable device for the rare times when i wish to walk over to lay down/recline at my sofa for a little time. Then, i thought, hey self: why bother with the Mytek box sitting at my computer desktop (with a usb connected to my PC tower)? why not just forgo the Mytek DAC+ and just use the just introduced Alpha for all of my usage scenarios? that's how all this came to be.

then, i was concerned about how quickly the Alpha might go bad (i.e. its lithium battery) due to my type of usage?

btw, you guys will advise against leaving the USB plugged in at all times, right?

thank you.

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #348 of 2,084
Honestly, if I had your use case, I'd look for a non-battery powered device, like a USB DAC-Amp to plug into my computer for at-desk usage. Maybe store music files on USB stick/drive and attach to work station as well? Sorry, quick thoughts as that is not my use case, though I have been thinking more lately about what kind of device I want to buy next.....and I am heavily leaning towards such a non-battery-powered (or, USB/device powered) gadget, like the Lotoo S1, for example.

I hate spending so much on a device only to run up against device life effectively limited due to battery decay, especially since battery replacement can be a pain or very expensive, even assuming you know how or know someone who can do it for you. YMMV.

Nov 1, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #349 of 2,084
Honestly, if I had your use case, I'd look for a non-battery powered device, like a USB DAC-Amp to plug into my computer for at-desk usage. Maybe store music files on USB stick/drive and attach to work station as well? Sorry, quick thoughts as that is not my use case, though I have been thinking more lately about what kind of device I want to buy next.....and I am heavily leaning towards such a non-battery-powered (or, USB/device powered) gadget, like the Lotoo S1, for example.

I hate spending so much on a device only to run up against device life effectively limited due to battery decay, especially since battery replacement can be a pain or very expensive, even assuming you know how or know someone who can do it for you. YMMV.

@feverfive: thanks for your thoughts. well, your suggestion is the same as my original Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ idea, right? the Mytek would connect via USB to my desktop PC.

the issue there, as i wrote in my previous message, is that i'll be exclusively tethered to my computer desk if i wanted to enjoy my Empyreans. Even if i wanted to, say, lay down on the sofa for 30 minutes, i wouldn't be able to. So my original idea was to have the Mytek at my desk, and buy a portable unit for the sofa. Then, i thought, that would mean spending virtually double the amount of money for the streaming device (meaning i'd have to buy two, one for the desk, one for the sofa). Considering the performance of the Alpha, why would i want to spend twice the amount of money for TWO streaming devices if the portable option performs almost as well as the computer desk streaming device?

furthermore, is it certain that the lithium battery will go bad THAT quickly? i.e. would it be one year, two years? more?

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #352 of 2,084
I’m considering this DAP but I’d like to know if someone auctioned both Alpha and FiiO M15? Any advice which one to choose?

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #353 of 2,084
Has anyone tried sensitive IEM’s with an alpha? Any hiss?

Is there a player in the world that doesn't have any Hiss depending on the iems and millions of different songs and streaming platforms that can be played?

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #355 of 2,084
Yes. The DMP-Z1 doesn’t hiss.

But my question still stands. Has anyone tried any sensitive IEM’s and noticed any hiss?

Have you listened to the DMP-Z1 with all the iems on the market and with all the millions of songs on the market to check that there are no Hiss?. I have noticed Hiss with some sensitive iem depending on the songs... And I think anyone who has a player will have noticed Hiss at some point with his sensitive iems. I don't think there's a portable player in the world that doesn't have some Hiss at some point with certain iems. Of course I'm sure not at the price of $1099. Greetings.

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #356 of 2,084
Kann Alpha is an extremely versatile player and an incredible value for its price of $1099. It's obviously not perfect, as nothing is at that price. Paying 3 * 1099$ may be lucky enough not to find Hiss in any song and with the thousands of iems on the market... I don't think so...

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #357 of 2,084
Have you listened to the DMP-Z1 with all the iems on the market and with all the millions of songs on the market to check that there are no Hiss?. I have noticed Hiss with some sensitive iem depending on the songs... And I think anyone who has a player will have noticed Hiss at some point with his sensitive iems. I don't think there's a portable player in the world that doesn't have some Hiss at some point with certain iems. Of course I'm sure not at the price of $1099. Greetings.

Well obviously not. I used to own the Campfire Andromeda & Solaris which are regarded as one of the most sensitive IEM’s available, and they didn’t hiss with the DMP-Z1.

I’m not asking whether it will ever hiss. I’m asking if anyone has noticed any hiss with any pair ups they’ve tried.

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #358 of 2,084
Well obviously not. I used to own the Campfire Andromeda & Solaris which are regarded as one of the most sensitive IEM’s available, and they didn’t hiss with the DMP-Z1.

I’m not asking whether it will ever hiss. I’m asking if anyone has noticed any hiss with any pair ups they’ve tried.

Well, KAnn Alpha can do a lot of things well... If you are looking for a player (of any price and only for iems) you never have Hiss with sensitive iems in any song from the millions of the world... Then I wouldn't buy Kann Alpha... I'd look at another player.

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #359 of 2,084
Well, KAnn Alpha can do a lot of things well... If you are looking for a player (of any price and only for iems) you never have Hiss with sensitive iems in any song from the millions of the world... Then I wouldn't buy Kann Alpha... I'd look at another player.
Lol... Mate, that’s not what I’m looking for or expecting. My question was pretty simple, whether anyone has noticed any hissing with any sensitive IEM’s. It’s not a criticism of the DAP. Just looking for user feedback.

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #360 of 2,084
Lol... Mate, that’s not what I’m looking for or expecting. My question was pretty simple, whether anyone has noticed any hissing with any sensitive IEM’s. It’s not a criticism of the DAP. Just looking for user feedback.

I think if you read, I've answered the question. It's quite simple to understand if you read between the lines... And I've not taken it at all like no attack on the DAP... What's more I have no interest in defending any DAP or any iem or any audio brand... I just don't think there's a player that at some point doesn't whistle with the combination of thousands of iems and billions of songs. Greetings. :beerchug:

Edit: with my Iem Dunu DK-3001pro (18 ohms and 112db sensitivity) in some song I noticed Hiss...

Edit: I was wrong and what I noticed was wheezing in some songs with my Iems. No Hiss on Kann Alpha's amplifier. I'm sorry if I've been able to confuse some people with my post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back