Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Oct 16, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #241 of 2,082
Interesting... and can you stream with AK connect several applications or services, such as youtube or others?
Yes you can stream music (i.e Tidal) thru the app “AK connect” I also use this app to control and stream music with my Chord Poly/Mojo as well.

Attachments

• A976CD06-7115-4AB6-AA28-FBA548A30054.png
    A976CD06-7115-4AB6-AA28-FBA548A30054.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #242 of 2,082
Anyone have any updated impressions. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on purchasing but want to make sure it's a good pairing for my Empyrean's and I'm getting a Clear and Sundara as well.

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #244 of 2,082
I received my A&K KANN ALPHA yesterday (ordered from HeadAmp and got free overnight shipping). Because it's newer technology, I was hoping it would sound better than my Sony NW-WM1A Walkman. I've never had an A&K player before, but decided to buy it due to the inclusion of a 4.4mm balanced output.
I've now used it with these 'phones: Meze Empyrean, Dan Clark Ether 2, Focal Stellia, Shure SE846, Massdrop x Noble Kaiser 10, and a Drop + THX Panda wireless headphone. Only the Stellia didn't seem to be a good match with the KANN ALPHA. All of the others are sounding really good with the ALPHA; possibly the Ether 2 is the very best and most neutral with this player. This new A&K is certainly a sonic upgrade compared to my Sony Walkman, and the A&K is less expensive. The A&K is more refined and also more detailed and transparent. Some users might want a more aggressive high end if they are into electronic music or rock. I mainly listen to classical, jazz & folk, and this player is just fine for my taste in music.
Only a few complaints: The internal memory is only 64GB. My Sony Walkman has 128GB. You can add a microSD up to 1TB for the KANN ALPHA. I went to my local Micro Center store and bought their 512GB microSD for $60. It's working fine so far.
The A&K is a bit bulkier and heavier than my Walkman, but I can carry it comfortably in a shirt pocket. I would prefer more rounded edges, but that's not a deal breaker. It also gets surprisingly warm in use, unlike my Walkman.
If you buy one, look for the user manual in a directory of the internal memory. I didn't find the manual on the A&K website. A printed Quick Start Guide is included in the package.

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #245 of 2,082
I received my A&K KANN ALPHA yesterday (ordered from HeadAmp and got free overnight shipping). Because it's newer technology, I was hoping it would sound better than my Sony NW-WM1A Walkman. I've never had an A&K player before, but decided to buy it due to the inclusion of a 4.4mm balanced output.
I've now used it with these 'phones: Meze Empyrean, Dan Clark Ether 2, Focal Stellia, Shure SE846, Massdrop x Noble Kaiser 10, and a Drop + THX Panda wireless headphone. Only the Stellia didn't seem to be a good match with the KANN ALPHA. All of the others are sounding really good with the ALPHA; possibly the Ether 2 is the very best and most neutral with this player. This new A&K is certainly a sonic upgrade compared to my Sony Walkman, and the A&K is less expensive. The A&K is more refined and also more detailed and transparent. Some users might want a more aggressive high end if they are into electronic music or rock. I mainly listen to classical, jazz & folk, and this player is just fine for my taste in music.
Only a few complaints: The internal memory is only 64GB. My Sony Walkman has 128GB. You can add a microSD up to 1TB for the KANN ALPHA. I went to my local Micro Center store and bought their 512GB microSD for $60. It's working fine so far.
The A&K is a bit bulkier and heavier than my Walkman, but I can carry it comfortably in a shirt pocket. I would prefer more rounded edges, but that's not a deal breaker. It also gets surprisingly warm in use, unlike my Walkman.
If you buy one, look for the user manual in a directory of the internal memory. I didn't find the manual on the A&K website. A printed Quick Start Guide is included in the package.

Also make sure your memory card is formatted as Fat32 so it would be most compatible with Astell&Kern players.

For music files and folders on the micro sd card, make sure you let the player run the automatic media scan from boot and then after that finishes, do a manual media scan from the restore tab in settings. Now everytime you boot your AK player, media scaning from the micro sd should finish much faster.

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #247 of 2,082
Anyone got a chance to compare this with Cayin n6ii. Both are in same ballpark price wise and looking for a DAP with bigger headstage to pair with FDX01

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #248 of 2,082
Anyone got a chance to compare this with Cayin n6ii. Both are in same ballpark price wise and looking for a DAP with bigger headstage to pair with FDX01
Good question. One year ago I preferred the cayin n6 II to Cube without any hesitation, sound wise. Wonder if Alhpa can compete with n6 II.

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #250 of 2,082
Which output did you listen to on the Cube to come to that conclusion?
2.5 mm with my neutral S-EM6 V2. That was too much lows in Cube, too much emphasized bass to my taste and not even close to a neutral tuning. I wonder how Alpha is tuned. The n6ii A01 is not neutral too but it is more balanced overall and has a very nice synergy with neutral earsonics.

On the other hand I like the SE100's sound and it pairs very good with my IEM.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #251 of 2,082
2.5 mm with my neutral S-EM6 V2. That was too much lows in Cube, too much emphasized bass to my taste and not even close to a neutral tuning. I wonder how Alpha is tuned. The n6ii A01 is not neutral too but it is more balanced overall and has a very nice synergy with neutral earsonics.

On the other hand I like the SE100's sound and it pairs very good with my IEM.

Thanks for clarifying. I would tend to agree with you on the bass tuning of the Cube. It was quite overbearing with the Legend X but it worked magic with the Z1R on high gain. The SE200 is much tighter and more balanced overall.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #252 of 2,082
Can anyone report on the stability of the wifi on this? I mostly like to stream, and almost bought an A&K SR25 but got scared away by all the reports of unstable wifi. I'm really hoping they fixed that piece.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #253 of 2,082

I just came across this YT video that talks about N6ii/E02 vs Alpha. Unfortunately, it's Japanese only. The summary of his impressions are:
  • Alpha has more mid & bass weight when compared to E02
  • E02 has higher noise floor
  • Alpha presents vocals closer
His blog says he used FAudio Major for this comparison.

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #255 of 2,082
I'm deciding on either the A&K KANN Alpha or the Sony ZX-507. they're more similarly priced and both have 4.4
Which would you rec? does anyone also own the sony? im currently on my A&K SR15 i kinda want to upgrade because i was disappointed by the SR15 after the first year of ownership. battery life is terrible, power output isnt good and i had problems with build QC with the top power button and sometimes unresponsive UI on boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back