Astell&Kern Launches KANN ALPHA Digital Audio Player
Oct 15, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #226 of 2,084
Could anyone explain to us which CPU processor carries exactly KANN ALPHA?. Why do they keep it so secret? He doesn't show up anywhere and that's something I don't like at all. you seem to want to hide intentionally...

Could be to avoid all the drama around it. If (and it likely is not because it doesn't have to) it is not using the latest and greatest, people will complain. That is what happened on the upcoming Shanling M8 thread. Some people seem to care about a DAP rivaling the latest phones and tablets in processing power. Who would have thought playing music and scrolling album needed so much cpu power! :)

My ZX507 works perfectly fine with a no name 1.8ghz, 4 cores cpu on Android 9 that is.

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #227 of 2,084
Could be to avoid all the drama around it. If (and it likely is not because it doesn't have to) it is not using the latest and greatest, people will complain. That is what happened on the upcoming Shanling M8 thread. Some people seem to care about a DAP rivaling the latest phones and tablets in processing power. Who would have thought playing music and scrolling album needed so much cpu power! :)

My ZX507 works perfectly fine with a no name 1.8ghz, 4 cores cpu on Android 9 that is.

Some of us are simply looking for transparency from companies so that we can decide on the product we are going to buy... I do not complain in the threads of daps in which brands fully advertise the characteristics of their products and allow people to freely choose between high competition... I don't like A&K's lack of transparency in that regard and I have every right in the world to complain about it... You are very free to buy without requiring transparency from Sony or another company... I don't think it's normal for technical data to be intentionally hidden in products that sometimes cost thousands of dollars regardless of whether they're good or bad... And they do it because people don't complain about it (that's the real drama).

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #228 of 2,084
Note that I made an assumption on why they are not providing the information and not because I don't want to know about it. Transparency is key.

All in all, I am still curious about this DAP even not knowing exactly what the CPU is. Unless a reviewer show us that the CPU doesn't keep up with today's DAP standards, it doesn't really matter to me which one they used.

If you didn't know which DAC chip it was using but tried it and love the sound, would you buy it?

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #229 of 2,084
Looking at purchasing the KANN Alpha as I've had an Empyrean since May and my only source that I have is a Mac Mini to Questyle CMA400i and an iPhone to iFi Hip Dac.

After reading some of the posts my concern is with support after purchase. I have also looked at the FiiO M11 Pro as an option but hear that the Empyrean sound unbelievable with the KANN Alpha.

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #230 of 2,084
Looking at purchasing the KANN Alpha as I've had an Empyrean since May and my only source that I have is a Mac Mini to Questyle CMA400i and an iPhone to iFi Hip Dac.

After reading some of the posts my concern is with support after purchase. I have also looked at the FiiO M11 Pro as an option but hear that the Empyrean sound unbelievable with the KANN Alpha.

Based on my testing, if I were buying a DAP specifically for the Meze Empyrean, it would have to be the KANN Alpha. I can honestly say that I have not heard another portable DAP that can get as much dynamic, physical response from the Empyrean as the Alpha.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Oct 16, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #232 of 2,084
How do we get the proper lineout signal from Kann Alpha? I enable the lineout option in the top, drop-down menu and use the 2.5mm/3.5mm cable to XLR connectors but the signal at the amplier is too low. I use this cable for Ak100ii /AK120Ii without any issue. Do I have to use 4.4mm for lineout instead?

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #233 of 2,084
Any Alpha owners running

Amazon Music HD
or
Qobuz
or
Tidal

With a large 100+ Album offline download collection.

Please report how its going

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #234 of 2,084
How do we get the proper lineout signal from Kann Alpha? I enable the lineout option in the top, drop-down menu and use the 2.5mm/3.5mm cable to XLR connectors but the signal at the amplier is too low. I use this cable for Ak100ii /AK120Ii without any issue. Do I have to use 4.4mm for lineout instead?
Once you turn on Line Out, turn the volume wheel and you will see a Line Out button appear on screen. Press the on screen Line Out button to enable Line Out. The extra step is a safety feature to prevent someone from turning line out on accidently with headphones on.

Line out voltage output can be adjusted in the settings menu - settings -> Line Out

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 16, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #235 of 2,084

Let us know your Alpha impressions when you try it properly. We'll really appreciate it.

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #236 of 2,084
Once you turn on Line Out, turn the volume wheel and you will see a Line Out button appear on screen. Press the on screen Line Out button to enable Line Out. The extra step is a safety feature to prevent someone from turning line out on accidently with headphones on.

Line out voltage output can be adjusted in the settings menu - settings -> Line Out
OK.. Thank a lot. It works great and pairs with my Liquid Carbon amp really well.

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #237 of 2,084
Let us know your Alpha impressions when you try it properly. We'll really appreciate it.
Sure..with the steps @JasonNYC mentioned, XLR lineout works fine with my liquid carbon amp. Very great matching

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_233144.jpg
    IMG_20201016_233144.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 16, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #238 of 2,084
Sure..with the steps @JasonNYC mentioned, XLR lineout works fine with my liquid carbon amp. Very great matching

¿?. You can explain those connections a little bit... I see a mobile phone that puts Kann Alpha and behind a double cable that comes out of a Dap...

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #239 of 2,084
¿?. You can explain those connections a little bit... I see a mobile phone that puts Kann Alpha and behind a double cable that comes out of a Dap...
I run the app "AK Connect" to remotely control my Alpha. The "AK connect" app talks to Alpha via my home wifi network.

For the cable, it's just my DIY cable by using Alpha's +R/-R/-L/+L from 2.5mm connector and signal ground (GND) from 3.5mm, combining together to XLR connection (+R/-R/GND and +L/-L/GND) at the amp side. The cable looks similar to this:- (pic from internet)

Attachments

• images (63).jpeg
    images (63).jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #240 of 2,084
I run the app "AK Connect" to remotely control my Alpha. The "AK connect" app talks to Alpha via my home wifi network.

For the cable, it's just my DIY cable by using Alpha's +R/-R/-L/+L from 2.5mm connector and signal ground (GND) from 3.5mm, combining together to XLR connection (+R/-R/GND and +L/-L/GND) at the amp side. The cable looks similar to this:- (pic from internet)

Interesting... and can you stream with AK connect several applications or services, such as youtube or others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back