Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Apr 15, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #1,936 of 2,698
Has anyone figured out how to use Khan as a digital transport

As in use the USB out on Kaan into a separate external DAC, I haven't had much luck lately

Apr 15, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #1,937 of 2,698
Has anyone figured out how to use Khan as a digital transport

As in use the USB out on Kaan into a separate external DAC, I haven't had much luck lately

Yes. Connect your DAC to the micro USB connector on the Kann using a micro USB OTG connector and follow the instructions on page 34 of the Kann manual.

Sorry, but you didn’t tell much about your problem or equipment.

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #1,938 of 2,698
Yes. Connect your DAC to the micro USB connector on the Kann using a micro USB OTG connector and follow the instructions on page 34 of the Kann manual.

Sorry, but you didn’t tell much about your problem or equipment.

I've tried using stuff like EL Dac n Sokeris with no success even with micro otg

I'll try again after reading manual

In case I have lost the manual can you screenshot me what page 34 says

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #1,940 of 2,698
I've tried using stuff like EL Dac n Sokeris with no success even with micro otg

I'll try again after reading manual

In case I have lost the manual can you screenshot me what page 34 says

I sent you to the wrong page. The right page is 37 and it says this:

How to Link Portable USB DAC
1. Connect the device’s micro USB jack with the portable
USB DAC using a dedicated cable.
2. Press [USB icon] after swiping down the notification bar.
3. Once [USB icon] is activated, you can enjoy the music through
the portable USB DAC’s audio output jack.

It also has the following note:

The USB Type-C cable provided with the device is to be used to
connect to the computer for data transfer or to charge the device.
For instructions on the dedicated cable, please refer to the manual
of the portable USB DAC manufacturer.

Most common mistakes seems to be trying to use the USB C connection or not manually activating it after connecting the DAP and turning it on.

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,942 of 2,698
Apr 17, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #1,943 of 2,698
I sent you to the wrong page. The right page is 37 and it says this:

How to Link Portable USB DAC
1. Connect the device’s micro USB jack with the portable
USB DAC using a dedicated cable.
2. Press [USB icon] after swiping down the notification bar.
3. Once [USB icon] is activated, you can enjoy the music through
the portable USB DAC’s audio output jack.

It also has the following note:

The USB Type-C cable provided with the device is to be used to
connect to the computer for data transfer or to charge the device.
For instructions on the dedicated cable, please refer to the manual
of the portable USB DAC manufacturer.

Most common mistakes seems to be trying to use the USB C connection or not manually activating it after connecting the DAP and turning it on.

Now here's the issue

Before I started trouble shooting I did reset to default settings, second I am using a new iFi Micro USB OTB Adapter. Their USB c adapters work beautifully with dozens of pieces of equipment

Let's start with a very basic Behringer UCA 202, this thing literally works with EVERYTHING I've tried it with. Very straight forward and caps at 24/96

Going through the instructions I am able to get power to the UCA 202 from Kaan but no audio output, nothing with 16/44.1 nor 24/96 and I am using the Micro USB out with an iFi Audio Micro OTG Cable

On the plus side I can hear some pops once it recognizes and powers the UCA 202 but again NO audio output from the 202

Let's try a Fiio E17, again I follow thru the instructions and I get power to the device, now how about audio?

Nothing, only the pop of power

I also tried removing the USB OTG Cable and running direct with a Micro to USB C I use with yet another product that works fine

And again, I see that there is power but NO audio

I will see if there is a software update before I do a full factory reset...

Nope, no new software updates... will a Factory restore even do anything? Going to do a full ghosting on the unit before anything else, @JasonNYC would you happen to have any idea's of what may resolve this issue

One of the best things about Kann and the A&K Line is the mix of hardware and software, and I'd like to be able to showcase that super smooth Software with more resolving hardware. As often time's people enjoy seeing how a modern DAP can seamless transition from their desktop systems to running entirely on it's own in portable situations!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #1,944 of 2,698
It looks to me like the USB on the Behringer UCA 202 is a digital output so it won’t accept an output from the Kann. The Fiio E17 can accept the USB output from the Kann but the E17 has to be turned on and the USB Audio has to be enabled (step 2 of the instructions on page 37) AFTER the E17 is connected and turned on.

Good luck, but since I do not have any of what you are connect, I’m dropping out of this.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #1,945 of 2,698
It looks to me like the USB on the Behringer UCA 202 is a digital output so it won’t accept an output from the Kann. The Fiio E17 can accept the USB output from the Kann but the E17 has to be turned on and the USB Audio has to be enabled (step 2 of the instructions on page 37) AFTER the E17 is connected and turned on.

Good luck, but since I do not have any of what you are connect, I’m dropping out of this.

No the UCA 202 has digital input analog output AND digital output. It'll act as a usb to optical bridge if needed

An ofc the E17 needs to be on and I've only used the PCM based USB Audio output but it is enable'd

Though let me ask what does "enabled" look like, I swipe down and hit the little black icon, it turns into a circle then solid back USB and once that cycle is complete the devices show a power from the Kann to them. If I don't swipe down, click the little black icon on the bottom right NO power runs through USB

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #1,947 of 2,698
Whoa.... just saw info about the next generation KANN, the 'KANN Cube' passed through FCC
Complete monster DAP with dual ESS9038PRO, 3.5mm unbalanced, 2.5mm balanced and a mysterious 5-pin XLR mini balanced output?
Weighs 500g, 7400mAH battery, 5-inch display just like SE100.
Pretty much a boosted version of SE100, I guess this would not be in the same price point as the first gen KANN, but something to respond to the Sony DMP-Z1.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG spec.JPG

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #1,950 of 2,698
Agreed - I use my KANN because of the storage capacity. Have a 1TB SD card and a 512GB MicroSD card in there which means I can carry all of my music with me with room to spare. It's a mistake not to have two card slots in a revision.

So, tell us about the 1TB card? Brand, performance, price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back