Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Feb 22, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #1,411 of 2,698
@JasonNYC Hi Jason, is it possible for the KANN to support PS4 usb audio interface in the future via firmware updates? I'd like to connect it to my PS4 Pro as a USB DAC. I tried it with 1.05C and the PS4 doesn't detect it as a audio device.

Also, is it possible to add a manual toggle for lineout? I ask because sometimes when I plug into lineout and it asks me whether or not to apply voltage, if I accidentally tap cancel, I have to unplug the cable and reconnect it for the question to show up again. Can a toggle be added so that lineout can be enabled if the user accidentally skips the pop up?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,412 of 2,698
Hi guys,
As I mentioned in my first post I'm thinking of moving from Poly/Mojo to AK Kann.
I've just had a replacement Poly and that too is not functioning as it should.

I've been streaming and playing offline imported Qobuz files via Airplay from my iPhone SE, or using iPhone hotspot, when no wifi is available. Poly can also act as router for iPhone to connect to, just as you would at home.

I realise AK do not support Qobuz, however I may switch to Tidal which I believe it does support.

Other than OTG is it possible to play imported Tidal Album/Tracks , say using AK connect?
Or, can I connect to iPhone hotspot and use it that way?

I'd just like to play imported files, Tidal or Qobuz that reside on my iPhone when I'm away from any wifi connection, say while camping etc.

Thanks for your help.

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #1,413 of 2,698
Why not copy the files to the Kann's SD/mSD?

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #1,414 of 2,698
Why not copy the files to the Kann's SD/mSD?

Thank you for the reply. The imported files for playing offline are only readable by Qobuz, you can't play them any other way.
I've tried doing that before. When I bought a new phone I transferred the imported files to the new phone, installed Qobuz and configured Qobuz to save and look for imported files in the same place, hoping to save myself having to import the files again.
Nope, wouldn't do it, tried several things but I had to import all again.

They will play offline, no wifi connection, only on the device that downloaded/imported them. Unless someone knows a work around.
Qobuz must encrypt them in a way that stops you transferring to other Qobuz capable devices, IPhone or Android.

I'm guessing but pretty sure Tidal will be the same.
If the Tidal capable AK Kann allows you to import Albums or Tracks for offline playing, great no problem.
If that is the case I'll make the switch to Tidal.
If it won't then I have to find away of playing the imported files on my phone, either Tidal or Qobuz, through the Kann.

Is OTG the only way to do that? ..... Or can it be done another way ? ....... I'm guessing it could be done via Bluetooth APTX? ... Is APTX really CD quality?? ..... If it is then I'd be happy doing it that way.
If not, it would be very nice if I could connect Kann to my iPhone hotspot and do it wirelessly or use AK connect (if it works that way) when no wifi is available.

I'd be fully portable with the best audio quality while not having a wifi available. ie. Camping, hiking etc.

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,415 of 2,698
In case these questions has already been answered in this thread, I apologize for asking them again. Does anyone have both a 512GB SD card and a 400 mSD card both installed and working properly?
If someone does, can you tell me your total song count? Thanks.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,416 of 2,698
In case these questions has already been answered in this thread, I apologize for asking them again. Does anyone have both a 512GB SD card and a 400 mSD card both installed and working properly?
19,661 with 84.14GB left on the micro sd card.All FLAC.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,419 of 2,698
I have a 512gb and a 400gb card installed and both work perfectly. The number of songs will be dependent on the file types. For example a dsd64 album typically takes up 2gb ( double that for a dsd128 and quadruple for dsd256) a 24/96 album can take up o 1.4 gb, a 16/44 in flac around 300mb. So number of songs can vary according to file type.

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #1,420 of 2,698
@JasonNYC Hi Jason, is it possible for the KANN to support PS4 usb audio interface in the future via firmware updates? I'd like to connect it to my PS4 Pro as a USB DAC. I tried it with 1.05C and the PS4 doesn't detect it as a audio device.

Also, is it possible to add a manual toggle for lineout? I ask because sometimes when I plug into lineout and it asks me whether or not to apply voltage, if I accidentally tap cancel, I have to unplug the cable and reconnect it for the question to show up again. Can a toggle be added so that lineout can be enabled if the user accidentally skips the pop up?

I doubt A&K will add a driver for PS4 in the coming updates.. Like windows PS4 has to detect the DAC. There has been few posts on other thread too for the PS4 but no result yet.
As for the toggle switch it is hardware requirement is not possible. Line out is a seperate amp built in all together in the Kann and the circuit has no interference what so ever. A&K might as well introduce a new Kann for this requirement which I think they will not do so as Kann has just grabbed few awards and is picking up in sales. Cheers

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #1,421 of 2,698
Hi guys,
As I mentioned in my first post I'm thinking of moving from Poly/Mojo to AK Kann.
I've just had a replacement Poly and that too is not functioning as it should.

I've been streaming and playing offline imported Qobuz files via Airplay from my iPhone SE, or using iPhone hotspot, when no wifi is available. Poly can also act as router for iPhone to connect to, just as you would at home.

I realise AK do not support Qobuz, however I may switch to Tidal which I believe it does support.

Other than OTG is it possible to play imported Tidal Album/Tracks , say using AK connect?
Or, can I connect to iPhone hotspot and use it that way?

I'd just like to play imported files, Tidal or Qobuz that reside on my iPhone when I'm away from any wifi connection, say while camping etc.

Thanks for your help.
With AK Connect you can stream any audio source supported by Kann. You can also connect to any wifi source like hotspot and use it for wifi streaming. But let me tell you the built in Kann android system is limited and though I have personally not tried the Tidal streaming do let us know how goes .Cheers

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #1,422 of 2,698
In case these questions has already been answered in this thread, I apologize for asking them again. Does anyone have both a 512GB SD card and a 400 mSD card both installed and working properly?.

As Luvdac has already stated that 512GB (SD) & 400GB (Micro SD) card do work, you just need to be careful about which one to purchase. In my case my Kingston 512GB SD card did not work in KANN but works fine in the Lotoo PAW Gold.
I have both cards from Sandisk now which work without any issues.

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #1,423 of 2,698
I have a 512gb and a 400gb card installed and both work perfectly. The number of songs will be dependent on the file types. For example a dsd64 album typically takes up 2gb ( double that for a dsd128 and quadruple for dsd256) a 24/96 album can take up o 1.4 gb, a 16/44 in flac around 300mb. So number of songs can vary according to file type.
Thanks

Feb 24, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #1,424 of 2,698
As Luvdac has already stated that 512GB (SD) & 400GB (Micro SD) card do work, you just need to be careful about which one to purchase. In my case my Kingston 512GB SD card did not work in KANN but works fine in the Lotoo PAW Gold.
I have both cards from Sandisk now which work without any issues.
Thanks, I had read about the Kingston 512GB SD card issues not working with the KANN and also that Sandisk was no problem. I have a PNY 512GB SD and think it is supposed to be OK. My mSD is Sandisk.

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #1,425 of 2,698
Hello I recently returned to the world of high fidelity and I bought a Kann that I use with the DEnon 7200.
I have a doubt and I need a comparison with other kann owners; the wi-fi indicator on the display almost always indicates 1 or 2 lines at max 4 lines only if it is very close to the access point. With all my other devices I always have a full field. Does it happen to you too? Thanks for your kindness.
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back