Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Sep 11, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #946 of 2,698
Still mixed results here getting the SD to mount in any timely fashion. I let everything scan this AM, had a nice train ride in listening to everything on shuffle. But after a regular power down and restart just to test behavior, the card will not mount, even after it took 10 minutes or so to scan...

Do you have to unmount the card before each powerdown? That seems incredibly counterintuitive as well.

Going to try one more format when I get home- using the player.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #948 of 2,698
How do I format my 512 sd card using the KANN?It is empty and now I need to format it.Do I unmount it and then remount it and then it formats it to Fat 32?
insert the empty card in the slot of the Kann. Go to system information of the Kann and select the card you want to erase and format and let the dap do its formatting.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #950 of 2,698
It has to finish the original mount/scan first. I've had to fiddle around for a bit to get this to appear for me.

In short, I formatted to ExFat on my Mac, loaded it up, and plugged it in. I let the first scan happen, then once the card is officially mounted, you can then go to "erase" under system information as Shetzu mentioned. I just did this myself and hope for smooth sailing once I reload the card!

Meanwhile, the 256gig card, which I did this exact process for (ExFat on Mac, then erased in the KANN) is working perfectly and mounts immediately!

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #954 of 2,698
Hopefully you have a backup of everything you're erasing! I keep a hard drive with all the files that belong on the KANN, with all the folders/artwork how I like them, so copying is just a matter of a quick drag and drop, and waiting for things to copy. Good luck! Going to re-load my 512 when I get home, myself.

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #957 of 2,698
Hi all,
New to the Kann, finally bit the bullet and picked one up to replace the otherwise buggy FiiO X5 mkIII. So far, I love it- but I have one small issue with the SD Card. I have a Sandisk 512 and it has about 130 gigs of free space currently on the card. It has been formatted at ExFat via a Macbook. It takes very long, upwards of 5 minutes, for the Kann to mount the card, which seems very slow and not a very good solution.

I've tried to reformat it using the KANN itself, as I did with my 256 card, but once the SD card is mounted, the option to erase the card under "system information" is still greyed out and it does not let me. ANy suggestions on how to get this card to mount faster and more smoothly- or is this just the way it is each time I boot it up? Thanks in advance!
Hi. We recommend formatting all cards with FAT32 for best performance. FAT32 supports removable storage up to 2TB.

All of the Astell&Kern players will take some time to scan the card the first few times you put a new card in to index everything. After 5 or 6 times, loading will be much quicker since the player will only look for changes and not rescan the entire card. Please note, the larger the card and more files on it, the longer it will take to scan.

I usually recommend if you have a new card filled with a lot of files is to do a manual media scan once you insert the card. This will force the player to do a full index. It takes some time depending on the size of the card, how many cards you have inserted and how many files you have in internal memory and on external cards.

To initiate a media scan - settings, Default Settings, Initialize media scan

To format a sd card with KANN - Settings, System Information, Erase SD Card (or microSD card), Erase everything.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #958 of 2,698
I have backups for all 3 KANN locations.That in itself was an adventure.
Thanks

Hello Terry! I do not have a Kann, but I do use ridgecrop consultants program to format my cards to FAT32. I would suggest if you do find the Kann won't format in FAT32 Google some sd card formatting programs. I do not know if the one I mentioned works with Mac or not.

Good luck and happy listening

Riley

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #959 of 2,698
I have an original Fiio X5 and it natively formats to EXFAT. Fiio told me not to use EXFAT only FAT32.

Both the Fiio X5 and X5ii format my cards as FAT32. Perhaps you should check again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back