Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Sep 8, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #901 of 2,698
I am aware of that.I was just giving the actual size that is available for use.Some people might think that you have 832GB of free space to use whereas you don't.
No issues it all depends upon what A& K has listed and advertised. I am sure all know of the total storage available. Cheers

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #902 of 2,698
Yup. ''I agree there. I am just enjoying my kann a lot. Just wanted to tell that 14 hours of playback is not achievable as indicated by A&K. I feel it also depends upon the type of file you are listening to. I have good lot of dsd files of 2.8mhz 1 bit which takes more battery than lower type of 384khz etc. Also gets pretty warm as there is no vent to dissipate the heat I guess and this may effect the quality of battery on long run. Just a feedback so far. No complaint on sound so far.
@Shetzu, you are correct. The native DSD playback is more battery intensive than playing CD-quality or 24-bit PCM audio, so you will see less battery life when playing DSD.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 8, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #903 of 2,698
@Shetzu, you are correct. The native DSD playback is more battery intensive than playing CD-quality or 24-bit PCM audio, so you will see less battery life when playing DSD.
Yeah Jason. That's a disappointment but manageable. 3-4 hours of listening at one go for a music head like me is easily achievable. Haha. Just though you guys should address the heating of the Dap . Though I keep it face down so that the aluminum back grooves may help to cool the dap faster and it does work. But only worries is the device warming a bit too much. So far have not faced any other issue except for a bit of Lag in the UI but I guess with a dap of such capacity is surely to lag a bit with large files and storage to be browsed. ( in fact all daps lag and I feel that is a fact).

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #905 of 2,698
Re battery life, see https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...-storage-battery.843376/page-47#post-13565859 & https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...-storage-battery.843376/page-48#post-13570456.
Pretty sure getting warm isn't an issue, getting hot would be an issue -- mine never gets hot.
You only quoted listening volume and number of hours achieved however, you never specified type of file you listened to continuously. The battery usage greatly depends upon the type of file and in my case I listen to lots of DSD files which consume more battery. Cheers. 'Tks anyways for the link and your chart. Also the Dap getting hot is because of continuous listening to dsd files. Other files it warms up though.
P.s also check Jason's reply above.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #906 of 2,698
Since kann is on the warmer side I tried listening to my hd800 (super DuPont mod)with balanced cables directly and I must say it sounds superb. Though the volume is close at 150 but pretty good listening level and with the large soundstage it's just perfect as a portable combo.

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #907 of 2,698
Hi all,
New to the Kann, finally bit the bullet and picked one up to replace the otherwise buggy FiiO X5 mkIII. So far, I love it- but I have one small issue with the SD Card. I have a Sandisk 512 and it has about 130 gigs of free space currently on the card. It has been formatted at ExFat via a Macbook. It takes very long, upwards of 5 minutes, for the Kann to mount the card, which seems very slow and not a very good solution.

I've tried to reformat it using the KANN itself, as I did with my 256 card, but once the SD card is mounted, the option to erase the card under "system information" is still greyed out and it does not let me. ANy suggestions on how to get this card to mount faster and more smoothly- or is this just the way it is each time I boot it up? Thanks in advance!

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #909 of 2,698
I have a full 512 and a full 256 along with a full 64 and it takes close to 4 or 5 minutes maybe a bit less sometimes.Seems different on occasion.I think you are around the correct mounting time.Try turning off the screen as it mounts.

That's good to know, even if it's a little on the slow side! Wanted to make sure this is regular behavior. If this is the case, it sounds like letting it sleep in lieu of powering it down might be the best course of action, since it's nice to grab and get on the road without having to wait each time.

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #910 of 2,698
That's good to know, even if it's a little on the slow side! Wanted to make sure this is regular behavior. If this is the case, it sounds like letting it sleep in lieu of powering it down might be the best course of action, since it's nice to grab and get on the road without having to wait each time.

Thanks!
You're welcome.

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #911 of 2,698
Hi all,
New to the Kann, finally bit the bullet and picked one up to replace the otherwise buggy FiiO X5 mkIII. So far, I love it- but I have one small issue with the SD Card. I have a Sandisk 512 and it has about 130 gigs of free space currently on the card. It has been formatted at ExFat via a Macbook. It takes very long, upwards of 5 minutes, for the Kann to mount the card, which seems very slow and not a very good solution.

I've tried to reformat it using the KANN itself, as I did with my 256 card, but once the SD card is mounted, the option to erase the card under "system information" is still greyed out and it does not let me. ANy suggestions on how to get this card to mount faster and more smoothly- or is this just the way it is each time I boot it up? Thanks in advance!
Hi,
It can take 5 minutes when you insert the card. Once initial scan is done it only takes around 30 seconds or so. The issue I had with my sandisk 512gb card was the formatting. On exfat I had the same issues as you and at one point it showed the card as corrupted. I ended up formatting it ito fat32 and it solved all issues. The Kann itself formats the card to exfat, but then has issues with it. I formatted it to fat32 in my laptop and then inserted it in the Kann.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #913 of 2,698
Every time you turn on the Kann? Is there a auto update library which you can disable to see if scanning on startup is stopped and the tracks are available almost immediately?

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #915 of 2,698
Very strange,mine takes the 4 to 5 minutes before it will play a FLAC file.That happens every time I turn on my KANN.What is the 30 seconds that you mention?
Once I turn on the Kann and the main screen comes on, it takes around 20 to30 seconds for the Kann to be ready to play. Ive got a full 200gb micro sd card and a three quarters full 512gb sd card. My cards are formatted fat32.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back