Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 12, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #406 of 2,698
i am really digging this player alot, sounds so awesome, i am really wondering how can that even get better sound wise, as it literally sounds amazing across the spectrum. I think since this dap has the lowest impedance across all ak daps that it adds magic to iems. I can not stop listening to this dap, all genres sounds so amazing and no need for eq is what is blowing me away

Seems you've got a 'winner' over there :)
No issues with (micro) sd cards so far?

Looks like it has a metal (which might scratch/damage other stuff or get rusty over time) plate on the back.
The overall design is nice though imo...

May 12, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #407 of 2,698

Looks like it has a metal (which might scratch/damage other stuff or get rusty over time) plate on the back.

yes i simply love it, and I have cowon plenue pm2 and fiio x5iii which are great, but KANN is on another level to me personally, I just love it alot. The mids the fullness of the sound and no need to eq is what made it for me. All genres sound simply amazing

May 12, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #408 of 2,698

Yeah, the only thing that I don't really like is that the cards are exposed. I like how their case for the dpx1 covers the slots.
Just paranoid of bumping them on accident and losing them.

May 12, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #409 of 2,698
Mac users, does anybody have trouble to connect to Android File Transfer? In Kann's settings MTP checked but in drop down menu it switched to DAC. For AFT to recognise the Kann, I have to restart the Kann with usb cable connected. AFT won't see the player, if I disconnect the cable and connect it again. I am wondering if it's software glitch or I can fix it myself. Any thoughts?

May 12, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #411 of 2,698
Hi. Anyone can tell me differences between Kann and Fiio X7?
Thank You
with all respect to fiio the KANN is in a total different league as I own the fiio x7, its not comparable at all to KANN, fiio x7 sounds too digital while KANN sounds natural with huge authority across the whole spectrum, immediately you will be taken how amazing the mids are on KANN

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #412 of 2,698
So that i dont have neither a smartphone nor a wall charger i didnt expect it to be faster, espacially cause i had super charge function enabled. But thx to FarmAndrex and kel77. Im going to buy a wall adapter now :)
edit: what specs do your wall charger / cigarette lighter adapter have. at moon audio i saw an 5v 3a adapter advertised with the kann

I am using the Anker Quick Charge 3.0 39W Duel USB Wall Charger (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUSYF8G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It charges my Kann in about 4 hours from less than 10% to 100% using its Quick Charge feature automatically. Works great.

May 12, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #413 of 2,698
Mac users, does anybody have trouble to connect to Android File Transfer? In Kann's settings MTP checked but in drop down menu it switched to DAC. For AFT to recognise the Kann, I have to restart the Kann with usb cable connected. AFT won't see the player, if I disconnect the cable and connect it again. I am wondering if it's software glitch or I can fix it myself. Any thoughts?
Android File Transfer starts right up when I plug in my Kann. Running Sierra on a MacPro desktop 2013.

May 12, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #414 of 2,698
I just bought Samsung Fast Charge 25 Watt Travel Charger from BestBuy and it does charge the Kann super fast: from 70% to 100% for 25 minutes.

I don't know about Fiio x7, but Kann does sounds better then DX200. At least, with my Vegas IEMs.
The weird part is that single end sounds much better then balanced. I never heard anything better then Kann single ended. The amount of details and the stage are superb.

May 12, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #416 of 2,698
I just bought Samsung Fast Charge 25 Watt Travel Charger from BestBuy and it does charge the Kann super fast: from 70% to 100% for 25 minutes.

I don't know about Fiio x7, but Kann does sounds better then DX200. At least, with my Vegas IEMs.
The weird part is that single end sounds much better then balanced. I never heard anything better then Kann single ended. The amount of details and the stage are superb.

i agree this KANN took me by total surprise and if you see in my profile the daps I have or had this KANN rates above them all as an all in one package, to me even the KANN sound way better than ak 380 which was a bit thin sounding, while KANN is full sounding with authority

what is left for me to figure out how to get the ak connect to work which is driving me nuts

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #417 of 2,698
So that i dont have neither a smartphone nor a wall charger i didnt expect it to be faster, espacially cause i had super charge function enabled. But thx to FarmAndrex and kel77. Im going to buy a wall adapter now :)
edit: what specs do your wall charger / cigarette lighter adapter have. at moon audio i saw an 5v 3a adapter advertised with the kann

* Fast charger (9V/1.67A) and general Charger (5V/2A) are not included in the package.

May 12, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #418 of 2,698
I received my Kann today. I am using an Apple changer to charge it (USB Type C cable with 29 Watt charger). It charged the Kann in less than 1 hour from 50% charge. I am comparing the sound with my AK 100 II. There is noticeable improvement in sound quality over AK 100 II. The sound is richer and has better dynamics. So far I am very pleased. My main headphones are Audeze LCD-X and the standard setting on the amp is more than plenty to power the Audeze headphones. I also have Sony MDR-1000x and they paired perfectly to the Kann with AptX.

I am just hoping that the Miter Case (releasing soon) will not block the memory card slots at the bottom of the player.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #419 of 2,698
I use the stock DLNA server in the QNAP NAS, my other DLNA clients can stream music from it without any issue. But KANN just wouldn't show my NAS at all. I think I would need to try other DLNA server.
Try minimserver it's good fast and free. Serviio is good but need to pay to fully utilise dlna. I have QNAP as well and no issues with minimserver.
Thanks cheznous for the info. Just confirm you don't use the stock DLNA on QNAP at all and use minimserver instead?

May 12, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #420 of 2,698
Most who experienced slow charging time could have been using a wrong (lower powered) charger?

For fast charge to work, you'll need a 9V 1.67A fast charger. A typical iPad 5V 2A charger could only charge your KANN at normal speed.

I would recommend finding a USB charger that could support multiple voltage such as those that support QC2.0 or QC3.0 fast charging protocol to fast charge your KANN. I would assumed KANN will have an internal input regulator so you could use your Macbook 29W charger but you are running a risk of damaging the battery as the output from a Macbook charger is nearly twice the 15W you'll need (recommended) to fast charge your KANN.

Just my uneducated 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back