Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 15, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #1,981 of 2,698
Fake news...Furthermore, you can still turn it on,, press play, and it will play while it is doing the NEW music scan.
Based on my experience, that is fake news. If I try to play files at any point during the scan, I can count on the file restarting at some point. The Kann only plays without issue if I wait until the scan is finished. That doesn't take as long as a full scan, but it can still take several minutes, in addition to the startup time. That can be annoying when all I want to do is pick it up and start listening. I still find the Kann to be a good player overall, but in my experience it is not without some issues.

May 15, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #1,982 of 2,698
I thought about it, but then I figured I could just lash my Asgard, Bifrost, laptop and battery pack together with a few bungee chords and get a smaller footprint.

Well, not me. I actually think it would be great to have at least one Kann Cube always handy OTG, as a weapon against potential muggers, pickpockets, purse-snatchers, and all such other undesirable bad actors... Imagine what additional advantages a K C can bring to the table, to empower the lady in this picture, who is already badass enough in her own right :)

fullsize.gif

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #1,983 of 2,698
I'm interested in the new KANN Cube but I would also need to buy a headphone cable for my Senns to work with that kind of balanced connector.Not overly impressed with the 1 card slot but if that's all there is well so be it,still interested.I have the bag that is just right for carrying any music player over my shoulder if needed and weight is not a problem.I'm looking for the best sound quality I can get driving my HD800 cans with the most memory and the longest lasting battery.
My search for a cable now begins:)

May 16, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #1,984 of 2,698
I am curious about the mini five pin XLR output and wonder if it is strictly a line output for connecting the Khan Cube to a home system or can it be use to drive a headphone? The spec said it has lower power than the 2.5 balance out. Since it has five pins it should be able to output to a 4.4 connector directly.

May 16, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #1,985 of 2,698
Well I certainly had a brain fart,completely missed the 2.5 balanced headphone plug and I read over it a few times,jeebers!
No need for me to search out that type of headphone cable,5 pin type.
Probably get the new KC and also a 1TB when they become available on Amz.ca again.

May 25, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #1,991 of 2,698
Hello Luke,
Just curious which Sony model you are replacing your KANN with?
I too am going to sell my KANN due to Tidal offline not being guaranteed.

Hi

I purchased the Sony zx300 but prefer the kann so I have the Sony up for sale.
I dont use streaming services so thats not a issue for me,I will keep the kann for now.

May 25, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #1,992 of 2,698
All AK players, including KANN will support up to 2TB cards, which is the current standard and what the card readers will read. In the past, we've stated max as the max available to currently purchase. We test and officially support new capacities as they come out. We do officially support 512GB now and have the 1TBs on pre-order to test when they are released.

Hello JASON NYC,
I have submitted a question to AK about whether a decision has been made regarding upgrades for the KANN to support Tidal offline which hasn't been answered yet. I bought the unit expecting offline ability to come in time, 12 months later I've realised my expensive player may never do the job I bought it for and need to consider another product if the upgrade never comes. Do you know if I can call it now or keep waiting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back