Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Oct 2, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,096 of 2,200
Curious to know what your desktop system is. I am thinking of purchasing a desktop system as well. I have looked at quite a few components but haven’t made any decisions yet.

Came quite a long way with this and finally got nice one with I think very good price to performance ratio.
So DAC is RME Adi2-dac - very good one, neutral sounding. Works great with IEM and full sized headphones. But for these it's paired via XLR with Pathos Aurium.
And as full sized headphones - opened are Focal Clear with custom cable; closed Sony Z1R. IEM - mentioned kse1200 and Andromeda S.

Oct 2, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #1,097 of 2,200
Came quite a long way with this and finally got nice one with I think very good price to performance ratio.
So DAC is RME Adi2-dac - very good one, neutral sounding. Works great with IEM and full sized headphones. But for these it's paired via XLR with Pathos Aurium.
And as full sized headphones - opened are Focal Clear with custom cable; closed Sony Z1R. IEM - mentioned kse1200 and Andromeda S.

Have you heard the Stax M7 or M9? How do the kse1200 compare against those?

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #1,098 of 2,200
No, I have not. Sorry

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #1,099 of 2,200

My final setup: Kann Cube + 2.5mm balanced super litz cable from Campfire + Solaris. Like it!

The wifi is slow on Amazon Music, but using Tidal is much faster. Overall, it's okay.
The warming problem is accepted. I think the slow wifi and warming problem can be solved by software update.

13A2A08F-3AE4-4870-B09E-30C598D1A917.jpeg

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,102 of 2,200
Oct 3, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #1,103 of 2,200
How do they compare to the CUBE sound wise?

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #1,104 of 2,200
How do they compare to the CUBE sound wise?

RME is amazing DAC with lots of configuration possibilities. Great EQ, very neutral and clean sound as default. And very good pricing compared to other systems. With Pathos as combo I find sound signature more suitable for me but cannot really describe difference
I'm not good at it. It just sound more real and with definitely bigger stage.
But it's not portable and Cube was really nice. Still - if I did not need DAP function I would definitely go with Hugo2. This is king for mobile but connecting phone + hugo2 + kse1200 would be just too much.

Now until I decide if buy sp1000m my mobile set looks like this :
IMG_20191003_212355.jpg

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #1,105 of 2,200
Looks like you switched from SP1000M to Cube. Can you elaborate why?

I went out on a limb and blind bought the cube when I had the sp1000m after hearing about the synergy it has with the Solaris. I also thought it would future proof me if I decided to go into over ears in the future. I did compare when I had them both here and both had their merits. I ultimately decided on the cube because it had a more “fun” sound with better dynamics. The sp1000m was more detailed and obviously had the form factor going for it but the cube seemed to have a more holographic feeling to the music... like you are there and it’s around you. It’s hard to explain but the sp1000m sounded like a real detailed 2d wall of sound whereas the cube sounded like a slightly lesser detailed but 3D sound

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #1,106 of 2,200
I went out on a limb and blind bought the cube when I had the sp1000m after hearing about the synergy it has with the Solaris. I also thought it would future proof me if I decided to go into over ears in the future. I did compare when I had them both here and both had their merits. I ultimately decided on the cube because it had a more “fun” sound with better dynamics. The sp1000m was more detailed and obviously had the form factor going for it but the cube seemed to have a more holographic feeling to the music... like you are there and it’s around you. It’s hard to explain but the sp1000m sounded like a real detailed 2d wall of sound whereas the cube sounded like a slightly lesser detailed but 3D sound

Thanks. I'm about to do the opposite :). Sold Kann Cube to go for 1000M but will decide tomorrow. Cube was too big and not that far from my SR15 with sound signature. Looking for something more detailed. Will see.

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #1,107 of 2,200
Good appreciations. Do you think that Mojo competes with Kann Cube in sound quality?

Oct 4, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #1,108 of 2,200
Good appreciations. Do you think that Mojo competes with Kann Cube in sound quality?

It was a while ago that I had the MOJO, great bang for buck and I don't think you could get anywhere near its sound quality for the price but in my opinion it is nowhere near the SQ of the CUBE and SP1000m. One thing that stood out to me with the MOJO was the rolled off treble and the warm tone it gave every iem/headphone.

Oct 4, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,109 of 2,200
It was a while ago that I had the MOJO, great bang for buck and I don't think you could get anywhere near its sound quality for the price but in my opinion it is nowhere near the SQ of the CUBE and SP1000m. One thing that stood out to me with the MOJO was the rolled off treble and the warm tone it gave every iem/headphone.
Thank you, I will consider your thoughts about MOJO ...:writing_hand:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back