Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Sep 21, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,036 of 2,200
Hi, how do you like the Solaris with Kann cube? My Solaris is on the way. Is the hiss you hear from Solaris with the cube really a problem? Thanks!
I liked Solaris more then Andro, they are one of the best IEM i listened to, but for me a bit too much punch in the sound, I like them warmer . Kann is an amazing Dap very analytical close to 0 distortion so they will make your Solaris sound great. I think I would prefer a more warmer Dap sound like SP 2000 or Onkyo Dp-X1 but I think you shouldn’t worry, Cube and Solaris are both stato of the art.
I wait for your opinion.

Sep 21, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #1,037 of 2,200
I liked Solaris more then Andro, they are one of the best IEM i listened to, but for me a bit too much punch in the sound, I like them warmer . Kann is an amazing Dap very analytical close to 0 distortion so they will make your Solaris sound great. I think I would prefer a more warmer Dap sound like SP 2000 or Onkyo Dp-X1 but I think you shouldn’t worry, Cube and Solaris are both stato of the art.
I wait for your opinion.
Thanks for sharing your idea! I'll test it once both my Cube and Solaris arrive.

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #1,039 of 2,200
SO

Wifi connectivity with the Cube is SO BAD with case on as to consider a defect.

I may return due to this.

Yes, wifi and bluetooth both really bad with case on....bit of a problem for such a nice case, maybe a plastic case might help...lol jkr

Also, I’ve also noticed my volume knob is a bit stiff/crunchy at times, its a bit like there’s grit caught between the knob and the body but there isn’t. I think it might be internal but it all works at this stage.

Sep 22, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #1,040 of 2,200
Yes, wifi and bluetooth both really bad with case on....bit of a problem for such a nice case, maybe a plastic case might help...lol jkr

Also, I’ve also noticed my volume knob is a bit stiff/crunchy at times, its a bit like there’s grit caught between the knob and the body but there isn’t. I think it might be internal but it all works at this stage.
when asking my local dealer about daps and bluetooth feature he did mention the cube's bluetooth has some issues. From what i gathered if you cover the top that may have something to do with it but i doubt it can be as simple as that
So from that even though it may be a future purchase for me, when it comes to my sony mx3's and b&o h9i then my phone will be the main source for bluetooth....and though not perfect I can live with it as a compromise/limitation
(the kann cube sounds so much better than the fiio m11 and ibasso dx220 for me)

also wondering how good is the cube as a dac only as part of a desktop system. I have read here it is not as detailed as the hugo 2 but if there are other opinions / comaprisons that would be great

cheers

Sep 22, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #1,041 of 2,200
when asking my local dealer about daps and bluetooth feature he did mention the cube's bluetooth has some issues. From what i gathered if you cover the top that may have something to do with it but i doubt it can be as simple as that
So from that even though it may be a future purchase for me, when it comes to my sony mx3's and b&o h9i then my phone will be the main source for bluetooth....and though not perfect I can live with it as a compromise/limitation
(the kann cube sounds so much better than the fiio m11 and ibasso dx220 for me)

also wondering how good is the cube as a dac only as part of a desktop system. I have read here it is not as detailed as the hugo 2 but if there are other opinions / comaprisons that would be great

cheers

I have them both and I use Hugo 2 especially because the Cube used even in desktop mode doesn’t have more then 7 hours 25 min of battery even on mid-gain amp ( or I don’t know myself how to use it but is plugged with original cable on a USB 3 port)

The sound differences are not so big, yes Hugo 2 is more detailed a bit on the open sound style more analytical and has the filtering options and the crossfeed,but The Cube is so direct and so close to perfection for a Dap, impressive at high volumes, not warm but not cold,and at the same level with Hugo 2 just different.
I could just live with the Cube in no need of another DAC-amp if needed is that good.
Just the battery issue.

Sep 22, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #1,042 of 2,200
I have them both and I use Hugo 2 especially because the Cube used even in desktop mode doesn’t have more then 7 hours 25 min of battery even on mid-gain amp ( or I don’t know myself how to use it but is plugged with original cable on a USB 3 port)

The sound differences are not so big, yes Hugo 2 is more detailed a bit on the open sound style more analytical and has the filtering options and the crossfeed,but The Cube is so direct and so close to perfection for a Dap, impressive at high volumes, not warm but not cold,and at the same level with Hugo 2 just different.
I could just live with the Cube in no need of another DAC-amp if needed is that good.
Just the battery issue.
Can't you use the DAP while charging?

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #1,044 of 2,200
While using it as a DAP yes, while using it as an external DAC like he is, no.

Edit: that's why the original KANN had two USB ports; one for data/charge and one for audio. CUBE has just one and can only do one or the other at one time.
Thanks...sorry I didn't realize what he was doing. Obviously, if there is only one USB port you couldn't do that. Sorry I didn't read. I have only used mine as a DAP.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #1,045 of 2,200
My one has the same issue. I am pretty sure it was not there at the beginnig. It was such a bad feeling first noticing it. Like the perfection has gone. Fortunately just cosmetics so far.

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #1,046 of 2,200
Using the AK Ripper MK2 w Cube and ripping is going smoothly except, the Gracenote db is returning the names of album and track but not the cover art. Is anyone having this issue? I am ripping to FLAC.

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #1,048 of 2,200
Ok Seems to be a gracenote issue ...some CD are returning artwork ..the more obscure ones aren't.
Do the lyrics come through? I should be ready to use the ripper with my cube very soon. I’m sure there will be a steep learning curve just like I suffered with monkey media, but once setup I’ve been told it works well

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #1,049 of 2,200
I got my Kann cube and Solaris. I'm using the stock 3.5mm unbalanced cable. I didn't get too much impression, but I can see some drawbacks.
1. Wifi is only at 2.4GHz, the wifi is slow. It may take a while to load the music on Amazon Music app.
2. Battery should be better.
3. It's getting warm very quickly...
4. If you can't make a bigger battery, would you make a quicker charger?...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back