Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jul 16, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #436 of 2,200
@Daniel James, if you like the Khan Cube and U18t pairing you have to like a bright sound signature. As I told Jason at Socal Can Jam the Khan Cube still have the Sabre house sound on the bright side. I spent over an hour playing with the Cube and the SP2000, I totally enjoyed the Cube, great power, clear, clean, high resolution etc, the only thing that is different from the SP2000 is that the SP2000 has that liquid smooth sound that I cannot shake off. But for the price, nothing can beat the Cube's value.
So the difference is sound signature and not power, correct? Basically they have the same powerful Drive capabilities, right?

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #437 of 2,200
Ouch it's a show stopper for me. I also have the old Kann and I was on the verge to buy the cube but I need to feed from both output at the same time.
Does someone can confirm this?

SE OR balanced. Cannot have both.

Jul 16, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #438 of 2,200
Take it out for say three hours and see how that feels.
I don't think I will be doing that anytime soon. unless I am carrying it in something such as a backpack.

Jul 16, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #439 of 2,200
So the difference is sound signature and not power, correct? Basically they have the same powerful Drive capabilities, right?

Personally I believe the difference is the Dac. With Iems, both Daps have sufficient power to drive almost all iems. The Cube does have double the amp power of the SP2000, But the SP2000 could drive the HD800 and the LCD4 at the show.

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #440 of 2,200

Technically speaking the SP2000 puts out 1/2 the max voltage of the KANN, the SP2000 is 6Vrms and the Kann is 12Vrms max output on balanced. I'm not quite sure where one would need the extra power as even my HE-500 gives me plenty of room on mid-gain. I guess if one is trying to drive an abyss, HE6 or Susvara then high gain may be needed.

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #441 of 2,200
Technically speaking the SP2000 puts out 1/2 the max voltage of the KANN, the SP2000 is 6Vrms and the Kann is 12Vrms max output on balanced. I'm not quite sure where one would need the extra power as even my HE-500 gives me plenty of room on mid-gain. I guess if one is trying to drive an abyss, HE6 or Susvara then high gain may be needed.
I think it really bites hard that I can't experience the power of the Cubes amplification with the SP2000... I'm quite sensitive to bright signatures and the (DAC) section of the SP2000 sounds just like what I've been searching for!
Thanks for the answers guys!!

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #443 of 2,200
I think it really bites hard that I can't experience the power of the Cubes amplification with the SP2000... I'm quite sensitive to bright signatures and the (DAC) section of the SP2000 sounds just like what I've been searching for!
Thanks for the answers guys!!
I think I may go with the Cube instead of the 2000, I will just have to sacrifice sound quality for power.
These manufacturers make me
S. I. C. K. !

Jul 16, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #446 of 2,200
GRABBED FROM CAMPFIRE THREAD

I had both for a short time (the Cube was a loaner), and they weigh about the same, but the Cube is much bigger- the N6ii was about the size of the screen-area of the Cube. Keep in mind that the below comments are a brief impression

They both drove the Solaris very well in balanced mode, the Cube via Soalirs 2.5 supplied cable, the N6 via a 2.5--4.4 adapter. That said, and volume 'matched' by ear, the N6 was a bit warmer, fuller sounding, and had slightly more natural instrumental timbres. Both were very dynamic and resolving. The Cube had a bit more punch and bass control, and the individual images were a touch more 3-D holographic. I could easily live with either. (I own the N6,so that's what I use. May buy the Cube anyway, as it was really good- kind of a blend between the smoother sound of the AK1000 and the more etched, but still pretty smooth and natural SE100. I may wait to really test drive the new AK 2000 before I make a final decision......

Fzman,
Good read sir, I sampled the SP2000 and the Cube, each his own but I tended to like the Cubes more muscular slightly less ultra detailed sig vs SP2000. The SP2000 has a incredible amount of resolution but I felt the pairing with uthe Solaris to be best (for me) Cube. On a side note I am loving the Tidal and Bandcamp streaming apps on the with the Cube, highly recommended to put a ear on that :wink:

Ken

wpc.gif
Stay updated on ALO Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #448 of 2,200
Just perusing thread and saw this post:

MusicBee looks great - unfortunately I don't have a windows machine or emulator. Does anyone have recommendations for a good MAC tag editor?
EDIT - Found one http://markvapps.com/metadatics . Going to give it a try

I'm guessing the one you found worked for you? I've long used mp3tag on PC - super reliable - and they have a Mac version if you or others need a solution still.

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #449 of 2,200
Just perusing thread and saw this post:

I'm guessing the one you found worked for you? I've long used mp3tag on PC - super reliable - and they have a Mac version if you or others need a solution still.
+1

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #450 of 2,200
I think I may go with the Cube instead of the 2000, I will just have to sacrifice sound quality for power.
These manufacturers make me
S. I. C. K. !
I bought the Cube due to it's ability to power everything I own, I don't have sub 14 ohm IEMS which would be my only concern on this player. The OI is between 1 and 2 ohms depending on SE vs. Balanced. Have yet to try the Beyer T1 but I doubt it will have any difficulty powering it. If IEM's were the only thing I wanted to power I'm not sure I would choose the Cube over other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back