Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jul 10, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #376 of 2,200
They are pretty different sonically. What is your sonic priority and what will you be driving with it? I've got a sample Cube right now, driving Solaris listening to Marcus Miller live on wav file.

I've had a kann for.a while and plan on selling it soon.

Hope that helps a bit

Hi,
Thinking of purchasing the Cube. I want to try an IEM instead of headphone. I was leaning towards the Solaris. Can you describe the sound with this combo?

Any hiss? Do you use an ifi iematch?

Thanks

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #377 of 2,200
They are pretty different sonically. What is your sonic priority and what will you be driving with it? I've got a sample Cube right now, driving Solaris listening to Marcus Miller live on wav file.

I've had a kann for.a while and plan on selling it soon.

Hope that helps a bit

Hello! I use the Amiron home and the Michelle Limited A&K. I'm slightly on the ”V shaped” sound. Many thanks again!!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #378 of 2,200
Hi,
Thinking of purchasing the Cube. I want to try an IEM instead of headphone. I was leaning towards the Solaris. Can you describe the sound with this combo?

Any hiss? Do you use an ifi iematch?

Thanks
I have both the Solaris and the Kann Cube. Your going to hear hiss from both the 3.5 and the 2.5 balanced. The 3.5 is low enough that i'm not too bothered by it. The 2.5 balanced i use my ifi iematch because it's just a little too much on quieter songs. I am very hiss sensitive. For the amount of power it's pushing the Kann Cube is quite impressive keeping the hiss down.

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #379 of 2,200
I have both the Solaris and the Kann Cube. Your going to hear hiss from both the 3.5 and the 2.5 balanced. The 3.5 is low enough that i'm not too bothered by it. The 2.5 balanced i use my ifi iematch because it's just a little too much on quieter songs. I am very hiss sensitive. For the amount of power it's pushing the Kann Cube is quite impressive keeping the hiss down.

Thanks for the info...

I am really looking for midrange for the music I like (blues, jazz, etc...) how is the Cube and Solaris/Andromeda combo?

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #381 of 2,200
For $1500, you would think it would AT LEAST come with a case. That's another $175 smh.

I may just wait till Black Friday

I just bought online one from MITER company. Got from them case for Hugo2 and its decent. 58$ instead of 175$. Still nicely done (judging by pictures as goods have just been shipped and need some time to arrive).

Jul 11, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #382 of 2,200
Hi fellow Cube owners,

I wonder if you can give me a snapshot of your preferred gain levels for the Cube in relation to specific cans, balanced vs unbalanced, etc. Many thanks!

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #385 of 2,200
Hi fellow Cube owners,

I wonder if you can give me a snapshot of your preferred gain levels for the Cube in relation to specific cans, balanced vs unbalanced, etc. Many thanks!
Still working through all my pairs (been off here a while my profile is a bit outdated). I have yet to hit high gain with K10u, Audeze Sine, Fostex T-X0ii, Elex, or HD650. Only Elex and K10 balanced and both low gain. Mid-gain for the planars and HD650. HE500 balanced will be the true test but I've been waiting until I am more familiar with the device for that one. T1 should also give it a good test but this might be a bit too neutral for me to enjoy the T1 on it.

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #386 of 2,200
Got a notification as well for my case. Will be much better handling the beast.
Ditto. I've been storing it in a Ruggard neoprene case (have several of different sizes), but this DAP has sharp corners so I'm glad the case is on its way.

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #387 of 2,200
once you stepped up your headphone game then you going to think you need to step up on your dap game , then you will start again with your headphone game. Or you can just enjoy what's in front of you instead of thinking what to fix. Seems most of thinking is about fixing something.
I just want to say this thing sounds amaazing on everything I've tried so far.. ultrasones, focales, even my old Akgs and jambox have come back to life! Clearly I'm going to have to step up my headphone game to understand what it can really do - Now I just have to figure out what pair to get now that this tank has eaten a chunk out of my budget! Fellow Cubeheads any suggestions?
My experience so far is both my Aeon Flow Closed and Hifiman HE4XX sound great with the Cube; on the other hand, the Campfire Audio Cascade sound too dark with the leather pads but not bad with the cloth. I've yet to give my Denon AHD7200 a run with it because I packed it for a move, but I suspect it'll be a good match.

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #388 of 2,200
I tried the Andromeda IEMs at CanJam NYC 2018 and loved the sound. Bet they're a great match with Cube; unfortunately I found them too uncomfortable. Maybe my ear canals aren't suited to IEMs... is there a trick to getting them to fit right? What am I doing wrong??

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #389 of 2,200
I tried the Andromeda IEMs at CanJam NYC 2018 and loved the sound. Bet they're a great match with Cube; unfortunately I found them too uncomfortable. Maybe my ear canals aren't suited to IEMs... is there a trick to getting them to fit right? What am I doing wrong??
Oo man seems you are a treble head. Mmm , what were the tracks you listened to ?

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #390 of 2,200

Welcome to the club! The highly praised Andromedas are one of the most uncomfortable IEMs (especially with their sharp corners) for my ears - though I have fit problems with most of the IEMs out there. I also have shorter ear canals and long tip IEMs just don't work for me (to this day, I never understood how can someone use triple flange IEM tips). That could also mean, I might be hearing things slightly different.

So far the most comfortable universal fit IEMs are (for my ears, at least) from Empire Ears - both Legend X and Phantom universals are perfectly shaped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back