Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jul 10, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #361 of 2,200
Jul 10, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #362 of 2,200
You do have Mini-XLR, and that is more than enough to handle large gauges for high current demanding headphones :). Even though I love the 4.4mm, I also do love the mini-XLR

The next question would be...why using Ribbon cables interconnect for that ? Heck even the copper traces look thin at after the semiconductor from those internal shots

No, this xlr connection is only line-out. You cannot connect headphones to this which leaves you with balanced only for 2.5mm.

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #363 of 2,200
There have been pages of debate about AK's EQ implementation in a number of the other product threads including the SE100 thread. Some of it got pretty nasty with one Head-Fier personally attacking and threatening me about it, so I'm not looking to get into another debate about EQ. Here is our official statement on EQ implementation on AK devices:

Astell&Kern uses a passive EQ as opposed to active EQ used by other manufacturers. Active EQ does require an amplification after the audio signal processing. This can be done in one of two ways - by adjusting the output levels, but it would limit the audio output power to less than what the device can actually deliver at its max. The other option is to put an additional amp in after the main Op Amp, and that is very hard to do in such a small space within a DAP. At the same time, the amplification of Active EQ may add greater possibilities of coloration or distortion, which we want to avoid at all cost. That’s why we chose a passive EQ so that users can make proper tonal adjustment with the least deviation from the original sound.

A&K’s incremental EQ settings in A&K are very, very subtle (0.1dB +/-) because we expect our listeners are only looking for finer adjustment. You will not find a 10 db+ adjustment on any of our players. If you are looking for a drastic EQ change, then Astell&Kern DAPs are not for you.

Astell&Kern has always had the philosophy of bringing the most accurate reproduction of sound like it was recorded in the studio, without alteration. That does not mean the music will sound better with Astell&Kern players. Instead, all of our devices will reveal everything from the digital music files no matter if the performances are beautiful or disappointing, we will not color the sound to make it "sound better." Astell&Kern does not believe in digitally altering the sound which is also why we do not provide DSP or digital filters on our players. Fans of Astell&Kern purchase our products for our unique sound signature which is tuned on the hardware level. We also would never alter that sound signature via a software update. Astell&Kern has never meant to deceive anyone and the passive EQ has been discussed many times over the last 6+ years on the AK Head-Fi forums, on social media, in previous reviews and when we meet people at shows. If you are looking for a DAP that you can digitally alter the sound, an Astell&Kern DAP may not be the correct fit for you.

Here’s a good discussion on Passive vs Active EQ - https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-what-difference-between-passive-and-active-eqs

Jason, you are awesome i do thank you for the explanation, i kind of figured that out before, like i said very, very happy with the A&K sound signature, and if i want more powerful sound and better sound stage the Kann Cube will do the job, already placed my order. and am sorry to hear that some people giving you hard time on this issue, tell them to pair the Cube with the IEM Campfire Andromeda and no need for a Equalizing the sound. bye for now
Alex

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #364 of 2,200
Jason, you are awesome i do thank you for the explanation, i kind of figured that out before, like i said very, very happy with the A&K sound signature, and if i want more powerful sound and better sound stage the Kann Cube will do the job, already placed my order. and am sorry to hear that some people giving you hard time on this issue, tell them to pair the Cube with the IEM Campfire Andromeda and no need for a Equalizing the sound. bye for now
Alex
you hope right ?

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #366 of 2,200
Jul 10, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #368 of 2,200
I just want to say this thing sounds amaazing on everything I've tried so far.. ultrasones, focales, even my old Akgs and jambox have come back to life! Clearly I'm going to have to step up my headphone game to understand what it can really do - Now I just have to figure out what pair to get now that this tank has eaten a chunk out of my budget! Fellow Cubeheads any suggestions?

I stop using my Sennheiser 650 headphones and my Shure SE846 IEM earphones for the Campfire Andromeda ( new ones coming in 4 months ), check them out and check the ranking list link https://crinacle.com/ranking-list/

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #369 of 2,200
Re: 2.5 Balanced port

2 questions for the Cube Community :

1. I've never seen headphones with 2.5 mm balanced plug - would these be high-end IEMS or can anyone give me any examples of headphones configured with this plug I might try?

2. Looking through the manual there is a section called "Connecting to A Balanced Audio Device 1." which reads "Connect to an external audio device by using the 3.5mm unbalanced port and 2.5mm balanced port. Unbalanced Port (Ground) Balanced Port (LR)" . - Does anyone know what devices would take such a combined input?

Thanks!

You will need to buy a 2.5 to MMCX or a with 2Pin/0.78mm connector, balance cable for 100 bucks i got it for my SHURE SE 846 and Campfire Andromeda the FiiO LC-2.5D High-Purity Monocrystalline Sterling Silver Litz Earphone Cable. awesome for the price

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #370 of 2,200
Astell&Kern has always had the philosophy of bringing the most accurate reproduction of sound like it was recorded in the studio

Fans of Astell&Kern purchase our products for our unique sound signature which is tuned on the hardware level

Hi Jason, what is AK’s unique sound signature ? I got a bit confused as you’ve mentioned AK’s philosophy is to deliver the sound like it was recorded in the studio. Is this philosophy your unique sound signature?

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #374 of 2,200
Can anyone tell me where the Astell & Kern name comes from?
@JasonNYC
"Astell means ‘Stars’ in Latin and Kern means ‘Center’ in German. We believe Astell&Kern is the center of music."

Source: astellnkern website, "about us" section.

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #375 of 2,200
Hello:

Anyone has compared (in detail) the Kann and the Kann Cube? I have the classic Kann and I don't know if it's worth buying the new model. Thanks in advance!
They are pretty different sonically. What is your sonic priority and what will you be driving with it? I've got a sample Cube right now, driving Solaris listening to Marcus Miller live on wav file.

I've had a kann for.a while and plan on selling it soon.

Hope that helps a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back