Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Aug 8, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #736 of 2,200
Congratulation! Did you make it now in flac, or you stayed with mp3?
1000000000000/2703 gives 369.9 MBytes per CD, which should be just enough for flac. But maybe not for the additiomal 200 cd.
I only use flac.I ripped them from my existing hard copy cds which I had only done a few months ago but wasn't satisfied so I did a marathon ripping again.Once I started I knew I couldn't stop or it wouldn't get finished.I do not use mp3.So my tunes are on my computer and on the 1TB card.After I had ripped the initial collection I have since ripped the other 200 with more coming.This is the third or fourth time I have done it in the last 5 years or so and each time I learn something new which prompts me to do another library marathon rip.This is the last time.Got all the storage boxes stacked up floor to ceiling beside my bed.Had to but a lot more boxes than I thought but it looks better than cardboard boxes duck taped shut.
The tunes are right,the headphones are right,the Cube is right.
All is right in my world:D

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #737 of 2,200
I only use flac.I ripped them from my existing hard copy cds which I had only done a few months ago but wasn't satisfied so I did a marathon ripping again.Once I started I knew I couldn't stop or it wouldn't get finished.I do not use mp3.So my tunes are on my computer and on the 1TB card.After I had ripped the initial collection I have since ripped the other 200 with more coming.This is the third or fourth time I have done it in the last 5 years or so and each time I learn something new which prompts me to do another library marathon rip.This is the last time.Got all the storage boxes stacked up floor to ceiling beside my bed.Had to but a lot more boxes than I thought but it looks better than cardboard boxes duck taped shut.
The tunes are right,the headphones are right,the Cube is right.
All is right in my world:D
Would love to have that collection...

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #739 of 2,200
About 3 weeks ago or so I re-ripped my entire music library again.It took
23 consecutive days,
247 hours,
2703 discs,
23 storage boxes.

Did them non stop for about 11 hours each day,it was actually the middle of the night.

I used dbpoweramp and had to look up a lot of wrong or missing info for about 3/4 of them,took a long time.Now I know that the meta data is correct and I didn't miss any cds.

Now they reside on my 1TB with room for more.

and they sound good!:D

That's why I don't need any streaming service.I supply my own tunes.

added 200 new cds since then.
TBH this is terrifying to me...

How many times can you listen to "Rocket Man" in your life.

Recent studies show we stop discovering new music at age 30. I am convinced we solidify a world view of who we are based on the experiences up to this time in life... many of these experiences have some form of music era attached to them.... usually much greater between 12 and 22 when our brains go through a lot of changes and we're more receptive to the songs we hear.

I simply refuse to listen to "my favorites".... that to me is like death. growth has stopped.

do you realize how many NEW great songs across all genres I have found in only a few months that were produced in the last 5 years since I took up this hobby?

not only that... I actually find it hard to listen to music produced under 2009ish... most of the older tracks sound like crap when played with great phones, dacs, amps....

new music cements new memories with a different worldview. it keeps you young... the best sources are tidal and qobuz and both integrated into Roon using Roon radio to index both libraries... soundcloud and BBC radio are nice additions.

I was recently in Honolulu .... there are certain tracks I found while there that when I play now immediately bring me back... I suggest every new vacation needs new music.

I would take you 20k CD's and steamroller them and not look back.

Thank me later

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #740 of 2,200

Recent studies show we stop discovering new music at age 30. I am convinced we solidify a world view of who we are based on the experiences up to this time in life... many of these experiences have some form of music era attached to them.... usually much greater between 12 and 22 when our brains go through a lot of changes and we're more receptive to the songs we hear.

I simply refuse to listen to "my favorites".... that to me is like death. growth has stopped.

do you realize how many NEW great songs across all genres I have found in only a few months that were produced in the last 5 years since I took up this hobby?

not only that... I actually find it hard to listen to music produced under 2009ish... most of the older tracks sound like crap when played with great phones, dacs, amps....

new music cements new memories with a different worldview. it keeps you young... the best sources are tidal and qobuz and both integrated into Roon using Roon radio to index both libraries... soundcloud and BBC radio are nice additions.

I was recently in Honolulu .... there are certain tracks I found while there that when I play now immediately bring me back... I suggest every new vacation needs new music.

Thank me later

BAD CASE OF MUSICAL PARALYSIS BUD

FATAL IF NOT CURED

http://www.deezer-blog.com/suffer-musical-paralysis/

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8465820/deezer-survey-musical-paralysis-listening-trends-over-30[URL]https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8465820/deezer-survey-musical-paralysis-listening-trends-over-30[/URL]

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #741 of 2,200
The new headphone stand. 3E7F2C50-8D5A-47E1-9A1E-3AEA14EA4BB8_1_201_a.jpeg

Aug 8, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #742 of 2,200
Mighty kyn I don’t agree, because for me as a classical music listener mostly there is no track that can be more beautiful( for me again) and sad then Mahler’s 5 th symphony 4 th part and so much more music I love, Rocky’ s soundtrack as much as Vangelis’s Blade Runner or John Williams’s Star Wars 4,5,6 . And so much music that has so much value I can listen again and again to it! Of course I love all types of music and I am interested in new songs, James Blake’s last album is amazing as is Jacob Colliers’s and so on there is so much great music and new music done but some oldies but Goldie’s are untouchable

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #743 of 2,200
Mighty kyn I don’t agree, because for me as a classical music listener mostly there is no track that can be more beautiful( for me again) and sad then Mahler’s 5 th symphony 4 th part and so much more music I love, Rocky’ s soundtrack as much as Vangelis’s Blade Runner or John Williams’s Star Wars 4,5,6 . And so much music that has so much value I can listen again and again to it! Of course I love all types of music and I am interested in new songs, James Blake’s last album is amazing as is Jacob Colliers’s and so on there is so much great music and new music done but some oldies but Goldie’s are untouchable
youhave not found the track that is more beautiful yet. it exists. this i know.

Aug 8, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #744 of 2,200
I assume @mightyKyn does not listen to classical music as he doesn’t like covers :)

Unless covers are considered new music.

(I do appreciate mightkyn highlighting the trends of what people over 30 do listen to - interesting thought and reflection for myself. In recent years I have discovered music i have not heard before, old and recent, thanks to streaming. But i must say my preferences don’t fall into the target market of most top 40 music)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #745 of 2,200
Well mightykin you might be right but then again I listened to almost all the classical music and opera starting with Monteverdi and finishing with Xenakis and from all this music my favorite is Mahler because he is the only composer that cries when he laughs and laughs when he cries so he is my special one and I love all his symphonies as his songs but especially his 5,9,2 and 10 symphony and Lieder eines fahrendes geselen and Rückert Lieder. But if you have any music you think might inspire me pls. give me some names.

Aug 8, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #746 of 2,200
I assume @mightyKyn does not listen to classical music as he doesn’t like covers :)

Unless covers are considered new music.

(I do appreciate mightkyn highlighting the trends of what people over 30 do listen to - interesting thought and reflection for myself. In recent years I have discovered music i have not heard before, old and recent, thanks to streaming. But i must say my preferences don’t fall into the target market of most top 40 music)
i do believe that most music should be re recorded and covered by new blood.

i do not need to feel the melancholy that floods me when listening to an old simon and garfunkel song.... what evolutionary purpose does this serve?

i am aware and have experienced these emotions... i'd rather be triggered by something new.... not where humanity has been.. where it is going.

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #747 of 2,200

Thank me later
So new music = good, old music = bad? There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin. In 5 years times the great NEW songs you have discovered in the last 5 years will be old so will no longer be worth listening to?! Balderdash!

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #748 of 2,200
There are many great-sounding albums pre-2009. That said, I especially enjoy remastered and sometimes remixed albums when they breathe new life into old recordings. I was just listening to John Lennon's Imagine and Double Fantasy, and Bob Marley's original rev of Catch a Fire, and it was like being right there. Many old records can recreate the air, so to speak.

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #749 of 2,200
The thing is, Amazing music will always be amazing, favorites will always be favorites ( EllaFitzgerald will always be Ella, Sarah Vaughn( my favorite jazz singer) will always be Sarah,Frank Sinatra,Mel Torme,Louis Armstrong,Chet Baker etc. John Williams will always be John Williams, Moricone,John Barry,Henry Mancini Etc, Bach,Mozart,Schubert,Schumann,Mahler,Verdi,Puccini,Wagner,Straus etc Queen,Radiohead,Dire Straits,Pink Floyd,ABBA,U2,Coldplay.Michael Jackson,George Michael, etc. just to name a few.. and you Tell me we should not listen to them ?

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #750 of 2,200
mightyKyn mentioned Roon. Will KC ever be a Roon endpoint? Apologies in advance if my question doesn't make any sense. I've never tried Roon. I just heard there are a lot of dacs that are certified to be Roon capable and it is a service that (at least in part) introduces you to new music. I would love something like this. And would love it even more if the KC were my Roon endpoint.

Thanks for any comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back