Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jul 20, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #496 of 2,200
Afternoon, folks. I've wondered what to buy: the Sony NW-WM1Z or KANN CUBE? Yes, these are completely different devices, but both come in the same price range (gold used). Operation will be mainly with IEM and not very heavy overhead. To compare them in terms of sound quality. And if the question did not seem correct, then I apologize in advance :).

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #497 of 2,200
I really don't like the included screen protector film. Gets scratched / dirty easily. I was looking for a better one and found these. I was worried that it would affect the sensitivity (as it is thicker) but it didn't. Highly recommended.
PhotoPictureResizer_190720_174219328_crop_3024x2796-756x699.jpg

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #498 of 2,200
Sony WMZ1
Pro/Neutral:
-warmer sound
-smaller
-better EQ and as filters
-4.4 balanced out
-long battery life (play time)

Cons:
-proprietary charging/data cable
-slow processor/UI
-not as much power
-no streaming
-no 2.5 balanced out

A&K Kann Cube

Pro/Neutral:
-brighter sound (not super bright)
-2.5 balanced out
-streaming
-POWER
-decent processor/UI
-USB C charging/data
-5 pin xlr line out

Cons:
-no 4.4 balanced out
-Thicc (Large)
-poor battery life (play time)
-Limited EQ (no filters)

I was on the fence about the sony as well. The killer was not having streaming options.

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #499 of 2,200
Afternoon, folks. I've wondered what to buy: the Sony NW-WM1Z or KANN CUBE? Yes, these are completely different devices, but both come in the same price range (gold used). Operation will be mainly with IEM and not very heavy overhead. To compare them in terms of sound quality. And if the question did not seem correct, then I apologize in advance :).
The Kann Cube for sound, it will blow you away.

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #500 of 2,200
Sony WMZ1
Pro/Neutral:
-warmer sound
-smaller
-better EQ and as filters
-4.4 balanced out
-long battery life (play time)

Cons:
-proprietary charging/data cable
-slow processor/UI
-not as much power
-no streaming
-no 2.5 balanced out

A&K Kann Cube

Pro/Neutral:
-brighter sound (not super bright)
-2.5 balanced out
-streaming
-POWER
-decent processor/UI
-USB C charging/data
-5 pin xlr line out

Cons:
-no 4.4 balanced out
-Thicc (Large)
-poor battery life (play time)
-Limited EQ (no filters)

I was on the fence about the sony as well. The killer was not having streaming options.
Both are "neutral" but one is bright and the other warm. So not really neutral.

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #501 of 2,200
Really... Means, the product from A&K is quite decent, but all the same, I still confuse the two points, namely: the size and autonomy. This thing is the size of a decorative brick (and weighs the same). And autonomy when at low/medium gain what? Probably 7 hours and sleep...

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #502 of 2,200
Really... Means, the product from A&K is quite decent, but all the same, I still confuse the two points, namely: the size and autonomy. This thing is the size of a decorative brick (and weighs the same). And autonomy when at low/medium gain what? Probably 7 hours and sleep...

It all boils down to your use cases. I had nearly all the TOTL players in the market until now (SP1000, SP1000M, Cayin N8, WM1Z, DX220, Hugo1/2, ...) and I settled for the Cube and I don't regret it at all.

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #503 of 2,200
Got a white ring around the screen when my Cube got a little warm a couple of times, went away when it cooled off, Trying to post a picture but button not working as specified in Wiki.
I already had this white ring around the display several times, but it also disappeared by itself.
Maybe JasonNYC can ask Astell & Kern what it's all about.

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #505 of 2,200
Last evening, my friend and I met up so that he can listen to my A&K KANN Cube and compare it to his headphone system that includes the following equipment:

Auralic headphone amp ( not sure of the model)

Brooklyn DAC

Highly Optimized PC running Audirvana

Headphones:

Focal Stellia

Focal Clear

Oppo PM3

Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt

We began the experiment by listening to a selection of songs that we are both familiar with on the Cube with the Clears. Next we repeated the playlist using the Stellia headphones. At that point, we retired the Clears because the improvement using the Stellia headphones is night and day. The Stellia headphones have such great bass and mid-bass and this appeals to both of our listening tastes.

Next we, tried the playlist on the PC using the Stellia headphones. The desktop system was more dynamic and detailed sounding when compared to the Cube. However, we were both surprised at how good the Cube sounded when compared to a much more expensive system. We concluded that the Astell and Kern KANN Cube offers desktop quality sound or pretty damn close to it!

Next, we tested the Dragonfly Cobalt using an iPhone playing music from Tidal. We listened with the Oppo PM3 headphones. We were both really impressed by the sound quality of this solution, especially the bass. I don’t own the Oppo headphones, but I will use this solution with my Sony WH1000MX3 headphones at work. We did not compare this system to either of the other two systems. Rather, we just enjoyed the music for the price point of the Dragonfly Cobalt.

Final note, I am now using a 1 TB micro card with my KANN Cube and it works just fine.

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #506 of 2,200
Last evening, my friend and I met up so that he can listen to my A&K KANN Cube and compare it to his headphone system that includes the following equipment:

Auralic headphone amp ( not sure of the model)

Brooklyn DAC

Highly Optimized PC running Audirvana

Headphones:

Focal Stellia

Focal Clear

Oppo PM3

Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt

We began the experiment by listening to a selection of songs that we are both familiar with on the Cube with the Clears. Next we repeated the playlist using the Stellia headphones. At that point, we retired the Clears because the improvement using the Stellia headphones is night and day. The Stellia headphones have such great bass and mid-bass and this appeals to both of our listening tastes.

Next we, tried the playlist on the PC using the Stellia headphones. The desktop system was more dynamic and detailed sounding when compared to the Cube. However, we were both surprised at how good the Cube sounded when compared to a much more expensive system. We concluded that the Astell and Kern KANN Cube offers desktop quality sound or pretty damn close to it!

Next, we tested the Dragonfly Cobalt using an iPhone playing music from Tidal. We listened with the Oppo PM3 headphones. We were both really impressed by the sound quality of this solution, especially the bass. I don’t own the Oppo headphones, but I will use this solution with my Sony WH1000MX3 headphones at work. We did not compare this system to either of the other two systems. Rather, we just enjoyed the music for the price point of the Dragonfly Cobalt.

Final note, I am now using a 1 TB micro card with my KANN Cube and it works just fine.
Nice...I really feel that was the intention of the Cube to provide desktop/portable solution.
I am finally getting some time with the Cube and it really is a fine DAP. This and the QA361 are two of the finest I have heard at driving those items that are more difficult to drive. Having a case on the Cube makes it a better experience, the thing has sharp corners.

On a side note I purchased my Cube from Bloom Audio, a relatively new store, super nice guy and the service was great. I would say message Andrew and he may hook you up with a little discount.

Jul 21, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #507 of 2,200
Hello folks - I purchased this one a couple weeks ago. Very happy with it thus far....
I do have one question - with the included Tidal application, I'm not able to play gapless (via wifi). Is anyone else having this issue? Tried reducing to Hifi quality from Master, didn't make any difference. thanks

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #508 of 2,200
FYI - playing time hit 8hr with Andromeda headphones via balanced, WiFi off, hires files, low amp, 35 volume. After almost exactly 8hrs stopped.

Jul 22, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #509 of 2,200
[QUOTE = "nicodem, post: 15076359, member: 507153"] FYI - время воспроизведения достигло 8 часов с наушниками Andromeda через баланс, WiFi выключен, нанимает файлы, низкий усилитель, 35 громкости. После почти ровно 8 часов остановился. [/ QUOTE]
Is this a cause for joy? Only eight hours...

Jul 22, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #510 of 2,200
Everybody decides if this is good or bad for them. Just an information about real battery lifetime.

So if you wanted a comment on this: its bad compared to other vendors (Sony, FiiO etc) but for example compared with SR15 A&K this is almost 2x better. I usually hit 4-5hr with SR15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back