Astell&Kern KANN CUBE
Jun 11, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #136 of 2,200
I hope so too! What can be better if a $1,500 can outperform a $8,500 in price ?

I know for sure Cube can stream while DMP can not. Both can not do DSD512

I never auditioned the Cube, I won’t be able to tell, but I did audition DMP against others at Canjam. Subjectively speaking, I now have it for a reason :).

One of the reason why I love this hobby, the subjectivity....otherwise we all will share 1 wife roflmao

You’re a good sport.

I’d love to demo your Sony.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #137 of 2,200
I hope so too! What can be better if a $1,500 can outperform a $8,500 in price ?

I know for sure Cube can stream while DMP can not. Both can not do DSD512

I never auditioned the Cube, I won’t be able to tell, but I did audition DMP against others at Canjam. Subjectively speaking, I now have it for a reason :).

One of the reason why I love this hobby, the subjectivity....otherwise we all will share 1 wife roflmao
True, but you bought it cause its a Sony, it looks nice and you love whats inside more than focusing only on how it sounds.

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #138 of 2,200
True, but you bought it cause its a Sony, it looks nice and you love whats inside more than focusing only on how it sounds.
To be honest, I was floored by how it sounded, and judged from my experiences with other systems too....

The price kept me away, and I was curious of how it sounded that great.....simply put, it had a warmth signature, but it has the punches and dynamic with the analog fluidity similar to my reel 2 reel tape decks that I recorded from my Vinyl system....except no “tape hiss or vinyl crackles”....well...not 100%, but it is very close.....the closest I could have found from any digital devices

So my technical mind was put to work....actually, it crawled by itself, while my other self was being in denial like “nope, doesn’t sound like $8,500”....and for $8,500....I could have improved my analog system further.....but what if I could “cut all the related ritual analog stuff, and while enjoying digital with song selections at my finger tips ?” I secretly admired the DMP the moment I listened to it, and worse when I compared to DAVE...

Until my stupid curiosity and it technical mind found out more, it created cuffs and chains, and I no longer be able to resist.

This hobby is madness, it is better to judge by ears....(only)....

Beside that, what is with A&K and the “sneaky internal pictures businesses ?” Even the Chinese are not afraid to show off

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #139 of 2,200
To be honest, I was floored by how it sounded, and judged from my experiences with other systems too....

The price kept me away, and I was curious of how it sounded that great.....simply put, it had a warmth signature, but it has the punches and dynamic with the analog fluidity similar to my reel 2 reel tape decks that I recorded from my Vinyl system....except no “tape hiss or vinyl crackles”....well...not 100%, but it is very close.....the closest I could have found from any digital devices

So my technical mind was put to work....actually, it crawled by itself, while my other self was being in denial like “nope, doesn’t sound like $8,500”....and for $8,500....I could have improved my analog system further.....but what if I could “cut all the related ritual analog stuff, and while enjoying digital with song selections at my finger tips ?” I secretly admired the DMP the moment I listened to it, and worse when I compared to DAVE...

Until my stupid curiosity and it technical mind found out more, it created cuffs and chains, and I no longer be able to resist.

This hobby is madness, it is better to judge by ears....(only)....

Beside that, what is with A&K and the “sneaky internal pictures businesses ?” Even the Chinese are not afraid to show off
Well sorry to get off topic. Nice writing skills and well put, but after getting it and the other dap you still looking for another dap.

Jun 11, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #141 of 2,200
I don’t think the Cube is as big as DMP...is it ?
I scribbled these down in my diary a while back when it was announced. Was meant just for my reference but hopefully makes sense to other eyes...
791183C4-1A0B-4831-8F7F-F956578CF557.jpeg
The x21mm x31.5mm etc are the height of each. So KANN Cube not quite as wide as Hugo2, but a bit longer and thicker.

Jun 11, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #142 of 2,200
I scribbled these down in my diary a while back when it was announced. Was meant just for my reference but hopefully makes sense to other eyes...

The x21mm x31.5mm etc are the height of each. So KANN Cube not quite as wide as Hugo2, but a bit longer and thicker.
Thank you! That is surprisingly portable

Jun 11, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #143 of 2,200
Jun 12, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #144 of 2,200
I love my Hugo 2 & have been waiting on 2Go.

In as much as H2 has become almost always desk, a good quality DAP streamer-SD card for portable would be great for summer, travel & for high school hockey arenas this fall.

The Cube doesn’t need to fit into my pocket —it’s not for treadmill.

I like that it is substantial.
Chord products are well built. I prefer longevity to being lightweight or small.

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #145 of 2,200

In as much as H2 has become almost always desk, a good quality DAP streamer-SD card for portable would be great for summer, travel & for high school hockey arenas this fall.

The Cube doesn’t need to fit into my pocket —it’s not for treadmill.

I like that it is substantial.
Chord products are well built. I prefer longevity to being lightweight or small.
Peter I use a dignis case with my Kann which works extremely well. It folds and snaps back up for traveling.
0KHU5Nl.jpg

Jun 12, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #146 of 2,200
This is off topic but good luck on the 2go. My poly was a bit of a nightmare to use and I can't believe chord released it publically...

On topic, the cube looks good.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back