Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #2,941 of 3,321
i got x5 2nd and jr side by side and sound wise jr is way more musical and fun sounding and having volume knob is a big plus... on the other hand.. it is slow, display has horrible quality, it can't be used by one hand due to it's shape and it's usb-dac function doesn't work with windows 10, or usb 3.0

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #2,942 of 3,321
Ok so after I sold my Ak jr I really miss it... now the thing is I dont know what to chose, can you guys help me? I can chose between L&P L3, Cayin i5 and this again... whta would you chose? Also how does the Jr compare with Ak70 or Ak100ii?

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #2,944 of 3,321
it is on pair with ak70, ak70 is more neutral, jr more warm... other players i dont know... im myself waiting for new fiio x5. it should be warm and musical as well. what let you to sell JR?

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #2,945 of 3,321
I'm kinda living with the UI, but is getting me a little on my nerves hehe.

I guess a step up from the junior would actually be the AK300?? The Jr has that thing, that sounds pleasantly... is strange but it sounds "right"

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2,948 of 3,321
Hi guys - I´m new to the forum and still fairly new to the HiFi-equipment world as well I gotta say.

@ulver777: In which situations (like menus, specific tasks) did you notice the AK Jr´s UI-lag most? I´m really interested in the device but the only thing keeping me from buying it, is that I imagine it could become strenuous to use when SCROLLING THROUGH LONG SONG- or INTERPRET-LISTS, which is kinda the only time one really needs a certain flow/speed in the UI I think. Also - does it show letters or sth to speed up the searching process in such a situation? Would be very interested what you and all the other people who had/have the AK Jr. can say about that! Searched for but didn´t find specific infos on these details.

I don´t mind a little lag in the UI if it´s still manageable. For me the AK Jr would be a music player first and foremost and as long as it can be controlled in a still reasonable manner and does a good job at its core task (playing music) I´d be ok with it.

Background story (optional reading):
I haven´t been able to listen to music on the go since last summer, when I lost my old - garden variety - crappy mp3-Player. So - since I have to do with electronics in my job and value good components, I got the idea that I need a player a little better than your usual 20$ crappy mp3-device...

So I ordered the Fiio X3 2nd Gen last week but somehow wasn´t too excited with the sound "character" - that´s the best I can describe it. It sounded somehow, like the music had lost some of it´s liveliness when listening through it - although it did bring out some details way better than when I simply plugged into my laptop´s headphone out. But it was just like all the punchiness was suddenly "drained" from the music, can´t really put my finger on it. I did of course use the same files from my and a friend´s laptop and the SD-card of the X3. Also tried through my home stereo system via the X3´s line out and through usual ear-buds and a friend´s more expensive over-ear headphones. Tried messing with the EQ but didn´t really do a lot for me. I also did some comparative listening tests with a few friends without trying to bias them beforehand - and got the same results.

I should also add, that I´m mainly listening to old Rock- and Jazz-albums from the late 60ies/early 70ies. Hendrix, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Grand Funk Railroad, The Grateful Dead, a lot of garage rock but also Wes Montgomery f.e. So - the general recording quality obviously wasn´t the best in most cases back then but I´m trying to bring out the best in it.

Anyhow - that´s why I returned it and now I´m looking for an alternative in the rough 300$-/300€-range (I´m from Europe) - having read the raving AK Jr reviews and after its price has dropped dramatically my interest is naturally peaked, if it wasn´t for the UI...

I have a suspicion that the Wolfson WM8740 in the Junior might be a strong contributing factor to its sound being widely perceived as more agreeable compared to Fiio and a bit punchier.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,949 of 3,321
You can drag the scroll bar on the right side of the screen to quickly navigate through your list. If you don't want a laggy experience, I would recommend exclusively using the folder browser and not the categories (artist/albums/songs). Obviously, this'll mean that you might want to organize your music on your SD card (I personally like a folder for an artist then folders for their albums inside).

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #2,950 of 3,321
Ok - thanks a lot for the quick reply.
I have no problem with creating a folder-structure, would do it the same way.
So - the "lagginess" everybody is talking about, doesn't really show when using this scroll bar? There are no letters/quick jump?
Do/did you have an AK jr yourself?
Thanks again!

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2,951 of 3,321
So - the "lagginess" everybody is talking about, doesn't really show when using this scroll bar? There are no letters/quick jump?

No quick jump letters. The scroll bar (on the right) is fairly thin and sometimes hard to start but it is faster than re-scrolling multiple times. Folder mode just is the 'fastest' way to browse through the Jr. Still not as fast as my smartphone but it works.

I have over 6000 songs on my Jr. (128gb micro sd card) and currently have 3 other daps but I use the Jr. most often because it's combo of sound quality, small size, and ease of use (vol and nav buttons once music is playing) is hard to beat.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #2,952 of 3,321
Ok - thanks for the insight.
Still wondering what exactly about the UI was the definite deal-breaker for ulver777.
You know - as I said - I'm simply searching for a decent DAP in the 300 dollar/€-range and from all the research I did so far, there are a few models that always pop up: like the Ibasso Dx90, Fiio X3 II (which I ruled out as explained above) and the AK jr. the AK jr is the one that seems to be the best bang for the buck all in all.

Since you mentioned it - which other DAPs do you have beside the AK if I may ask?

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #2,953 of 3,321
Ok - thanks a lot for the quick reply.
Do/did you have an AK jr yourself?
Thanks again!

Decided to record a quick video while scrolling through my list. I scroll through normally then drag the scrollbar a bit. No letters/quick jump, unfortunately. 
https://gfycat.com/EverlastingUnnaturalGrassspider

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #2,954 of 3,321
Big thanks for the video!
You are really being tremendously helpful guys.
That doesn't look nearly as bad as I imagined it, in fact it doesn't look bad at all.
Strange though that some people perceive the lag as so unnerving then. I also have to say that I found a video on YT before, that showed quite a bit more lag - to a degree that is cause for concern:https://youtu.be/nziqsoCMDgA
So - did that guy just scroll a little faster, which is just a bit to fast for the AK to process or does his unit actually have more lag?
I guess some other things like total occupied storage space, if one is using internal storage or SD and firmware version might also have some effect on fluidity.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,955 of 3,321
Yep, it's definitely not bad at all when browsing via folders. When browsing from the categories menu though, there will be an album cover thumbnail next to each item (artist/album) where the folder picture is in my video. That's my theory is where all the lagginess comes from. If they had removed the thumbnails from the list, it would've been a much better experience, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back