Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #2,956 of 3,321
I can second clee290's observations and assumptions.  I also browse my music via folders and there is no lag.  This is partly due to my music not being accurately tagged as well as I usually know what/who I want to listen to so I go directly there.  I love the sound, size and power this unit delivers.  I complemented it with the Astell & Kern AK Jr. MITER Stand Leather Case and love it. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #2,958 of 3,321
Ok - thanks for the insight.
Still wondering what exactly about the UI was the definite deal-breaker for ulver777.
You know - as I said - I'm simply searching for a decent DAP in the 300 dollar/€-range and from all the research I did so far, there are a few models that always pop up: like the Ibasso Dx90, Fiio X3 II (which I ruled out as explained above) and the AK jr. the AK jr is the one that seems to be the best bang for the buck all in all.

Since you mentioned it - which other DAPs do you have beside the AK if I may ask?

iBasso R10 (a variant of the DX100), LG V10 (phone w/ ESS9018 chip that I also count as a dap), an Chinese market android player w/ WM8741 chip, and also had a Pono player for couple of years but sold it.

You might also consider the Fiio X5 3rd Generation. I've been researching it a lot recently. Very good reviews so far; appears very different from the 2nd gen X5. It has dual AKM4490 chips, balanced out, and comes with TWO cases in the box; all for $399USD I believe. If you get an AK Jr., trust me, you'll be looking for a case immediately so may want to factor that into your costs.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #2,960 of 3,321
So far the problems I've had with the UI (to add to the slight lag) is that the organization isn't great (for some reason in the artist section z comes before a), the buttons are sometimes a bit slow, and there are some other things but the sound quality far outshines it's flaws.

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #2,963 of 3,321
For the price (imo) it can't be beat. I usually avoid silicone cases but haven't removed it from my Jr. since the cover arrived. It doesn't seem to attract dust and hair like other silicone covers plus no more worries about sharp edges. It also has cutouts for the usb port, volume wheel, and extra material over the side buttons so they're easy to use with the cover on. (can't take any closeups right now but let me know if that would help; maybe I can post them later):

EDIT: found some old posts with closeup pics:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/764034/astell-kern-junior-ak-jr-impressions-thread/1350#post_11912763
http://www.head-fi.org/t/764034/astell-kern-junior-ak-jr-impressions-thread/1365#post_11929832

You might have to clear away some silicone around the headphone jack though. The opening wasn't wide enough for some of my headphones so I just used a hole puncher to make room.

I also got a leather belt clip case made for iphone5 that I use when walking around with the Jr. Two covers seem like overkill but both work very well together and combined were still a lot cheaper than all the $50+ cases offered.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NC1LVD4

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #2,965 of 3,321
Hey mate. What made me return it was the general lag, its inability to function as a dap. What part of the lag? Specifically when playing large music files, when pressing the play button it froze for a couple of secconds, scrolling trough music, super long charge times, skipping trough a song... But know I think I will get another one or the L&P l3, still undecided, or I will bite my sneakers and buy the damned Ak70, but Im not sure it makes a huge diffrence

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #2,966 of 3,321
Ok - thanks for elaborating.
I got mine yesterday - don't have any good headphones to test it with yet, that's what my next "hunt" is gonna be about.
So far my impression is good. I'm using folder browsing almost exclusively and it works fine in my opinion. The tiny lag there is, is no issue for me - on the contrary - I even think it adds some character :).
Sound-wise I can't really give a verdict yet for lack of sufficient headphones or a good home HiFi system. But I think it certainly does sound good - even through my 20$-earbuds.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #2,969 of 3,321
I wouldn't suggest the se215. Depending on your budget, there are a plethora of options. Start a thread in the Introductions, Help, and Reccomendations subforum if you need to. We are always happy to help!

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #2,970 of 3,321
Wouldn´t you recommend the SE 215 because of their supposed bass-heaviness? That´s what I stumbled upon in a review, reading about them.
I might start a new thread, yeah, thanks. But I think there must be so much information out there already from people asking the exact same questions about headphones - will take me a little to sift through some of that, meanwhile I´m a little reluctant to open yet another thread..I might though as I said.
My budget is 100-150$/€ btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back