Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,926 of 3,321
Like Lycosa777 said, firmware v1.03 came out 2 months after v1.02 and the Jr. itself came out. That was 18 months ago. AK has effectively replaced the Jr. with the 70 and I wouldn't expect to see any more support for it.

Really is a shame. I would say that if the Jr.'s DAC issue was fixed and it had a better battery life, it would be the perfect DAP.

Instead, I think I'm waiting for the AK70 to go on sale.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,928 of 3,321
  Like Lycosa777 said, firmware v1.03 came out 2 months after v1.02 and the Jr. itself came out. That was 18 months ago. AK has effectively replaced the Jr. with the 70 and I wouldn't expect to see any more support for it.

Really is a shame. I would say that if the Jr.'s DAC issue was fixed and it had a better battery life, it would be the perfect DAP.

Instead, I think I'm waiting for the AK70 to go on sale.

I think for the size is impressive, BUT, I saw pictures comparing it to the AK300 and AK70 and I must say that is not THAT much smaller... Oh well, I guess we have accept it as it is hehe

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #2,929 of 3,321
i dont have it. i returned it because of broken dac function. but if they fix it, i would buy it again. it is pricey, has horrible display, its a bit slow and its clunky to use because of it's length, but i love the sound. i emailed astell support and got reply, they "hope to fix it with future firmware" but i have my doubts because they weren't able to fix it for two years and somebody from astell wrote on their facebook, they don't plan any update... so im really confused here. ak70 i dont want, because it is almost double price and i dont care about wifi and i prefer sound of JR over ak70 slightly.

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2,930 of 3,321
i dont have it. i returned it because of broken dac function. but if they fix it, i would buy it again. it is pricey, has horrible display, its a bit slow and its clunky to use because of it's length, but i love the sound. i emailed astell support and got reply, they "hope to fix it with future firmware" but i have my doubts because they weren't able to fix it for two years and somebody from astell wrote on their facebook, they don't plan any update... so im really confused here. ak70 i dont want, because it is almost double price and i dont care about wifi and i prefer sound of JR over ak70 slightly.

Never tried the AK70, but the Jr sounds pretty awesome...

And you are right, don't think the jr will be updated ever...

Back to my question, dors anyone know ehat is the outpu at 32 ohms? I'm planning on buying and amp but really don't know if it's needed...

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #2,931 of 3,321
Never tried the AK70, but the Jr sounds pretty awesome...

And you are right, don't think the jr will be updated ever...

Back to my question, dors anyone know ehat is the outpu at 32 ohms? I'm planning on buying and amp but really don't know if it's needed...

If for Havi, I think you'll be ok without an amp, try first without.

I agree, probably no more firmware for JR.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #2,934 of 3,321
Greetings from Shanghai everyone! I am posting a reply I received from AK concerning updating from 1.02 to 1.03. It helped as I was able to update immediately. Hope it helps!

Hi Mondo,

As the AK Jr is not a Wi-Fi capable device, you will need to upload the AK_Jr.hex file to the root directory of the AK Jr’s internal memory. Do not place it in the systems folder and the file must be named exactly AK_Jr.hex for the firmware to update. 

Please follow the steps below:

• Use a computer connected to the Internet to download the latest firmware file from http://www.astellnkern.com/ > Support > Download
  • Use the Micro USB cable to connect the product to the computer and select “CONNECT AS REMOVABLE DISK” to connect the AK Jr to your computer.
  • Select the UMS (USB Mass Storage) to which the AK Jr is connected and upload AK_Jr.hex to the root directory of the AK Jr.
  • You can check the progress of the firmware update on the screen of the device.
  • When download is finished, the device will reboot.
  • After completed successfully, remove the USB safely and disconnect the product from the computer.

Regards,

Astell&Kern / iriver US Customer Service Center

1499D8B5-B0CE-4F8F-A2E1-42218FADCC01%5B7%5D.png

www.astellnkern.com

www.facebook.com/astellandkern
www.twitter.com/astell_kern

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,936 of 3,321
I'm thinking of getting either the astell&kern ak jr. Or the fiio x5 2nd gen. Any suggestions?

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #2,938 of 3,321
How do you like your ak jr? I'm considering buying one. I have the Audeze sines. I'm not sure if the ak jr could drive them.

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #2,939 of 3,321
How do you like your ak jr? I'm considering buying one. I have the Audeze sines. I'm not sure if the ak jr could drive them.

I'm actually torn on it. Going in, I knew the UI didn't get a lot of love. After my initial disappointment, the controls are starting to grow on me. The weird edges are ridiculous though. I wonder how the AK JR would have fared if they just shipped a case with it. Strange form factor. 

Sonically, it's really nice. Just an enjoyable, smooth, non-fatiguing, though, not detail-less sound. 

My first thought was that I'd prefer a cheaper, Fiio product. If you're going to use a folder system, what's the point of a touch screen. But as time goes on, I'm starting to see more of what the praise of the product is. It's euphonic. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #2,940 of 3,321
I'm thinking of getting either the astell&kern ak jr. Or the fiio x5 2nd gen. Any suggestions?

Sonically the AK Jr is warmer and much less fatiguing, but the UI of the x5ii is much better.
I had the x5ii before the AK Jr and I won't be going back. The AK Jr sounds much, much better to me. It is warm and musical, and it just wraps you up like a blanket fresh from the dryer. Of course, different headphones makes a different sound, but in my experience the AK Jr sounds much better. Not as much power, but I'm pretty sure it'll power the Audeze Sine no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back