Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #2,780 of 3,321
Never heard the X5ii but compared to the X3ii, the Jr is far superior IMHO.
The bass is well layered, the mids are more detailed and the treble is well extended but not sibilant like the X3ii - w\ UE900s
I did consider the x5ii but after doing hours of research, I found that the Ak jr was the superior player.

Dec 16, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #2,781 of 3,321
I just got Ak Jr after reading lottsa comparisons and reviews. You can get one for USD 300 now which is a good price 
L3000.gif

Currently I use it with Senn HD 380 and it is able to deliver good quality for FLAC files (used EAC to rip CD). I honestly did not find any difference with this and note 4 using ie80 with half bass. I know I know... before you beat me with technical audiophile stuff, am just someone who enjoys music by reading reviews of audiophile guru's reviews and comments in forums such as these. But I have to admit the sound is much better after I reduced the base adjustment. 

But anyhows am gonna get lots of music pumped into this player with time and gonna stick with flac files as opposed to mp3 and gonna stick with 380's as much as I can. I do have a couple of high treble songs from Kutless which kinda does bite my ear off :). But overall, I plan to keep this one even though note4 plays fla - should mean something for a non sound-technical guy 
biggrin.gif

Let me know if you have any suggestions or would like to know some details about this guy. 

Some few things - 
It comes with a charging cable and when connected to system it asks whether to connect as charger, or removable media (for moving music) or out amp or something (to use as computer's amp or something).

Comes with a pair of screen-guard and ass-gurad (for backside) 
very_evil_smiley.gif

The interface was really really slow even when I had just put one album at first. But it has become a bit smooth now. 

Internal memory is 56 GB.

It does have some sample songs (orchestra, blues etc).

It aint a fast charging kit - charge time given is 4 hours and run time is 8 hours. Will keep you posted after using this for a couple of weeks. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #2,782 of 3,321
Hello guys, 
finally i bought my astell&kern Jr (special price at black friday).
i have used a Sony Nwz-a15 and an Ipod nano last generation till now.
The quality of sound is better on Jr, it is honest and natural more than Sony.
Sony has a good option that Jr dosen't have: auto playlist.
The ipod nano has a better quality of touch screen than Jr.
At the end i am very satisfied about my new player and he can manage very good my B&O H6 2th,
i can hear all instruments and the quality of sound is better than artificial EQ options of Sony
I am using a micro Sandisk Sd 128 gb and the player dosen't have any problem with it even if sometimes is quite slow.

ciao a tutti

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #2,783 of 3,321
Has anybody paired the AK JR with the B&w p7 headphones? I'm upgrading from my Ipod 5th generation and understand that they both use Wolfson DAC so am wondering if there will be any noticeable improvement in SQ. I've been using apple lossless tracks on my Ipod and plan to use Flac for the AK.Thanks!

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #2,784 of 3,321
I have been using the B&W P7's for about 2 years, and for half a year with the AKJr. I was using the 5th gen for a while but didnt notice a difference compared to my OLD iPhone 3Gs, so I kept using the iPhone with AIFF's (and i'm still using it as my phone). I would say that there is a "slight" sound improvement in that when comparing back and forth with the same files on each, the iPod and iPhone sounded ever so slightly flat by comparison to the AKJr. which was just a bit crisper without the EQ switched on. (I was using Kate Bush "Wuthering Heights" and Toyah "Jungles of Jupiter")

Over all, my music sounds best on the AKJr. with the EQ switched off and the volume set from 50 to 55. All files are AIFF.
Also, the AKJr. uses the WM8740, which has been superseded. I dont know which Wolfson DAC the iPod used since there were a few others which would have been available back then.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2,786 of 3,321
A little advice if possible?  

I just received my Jr. from a fellow Headfier and I absolutely love the sound.  Coming from a Sony NWZ-A847, that's not surprising.  What I am finding annoying is that quite a lot of my music is going into the "unknown" folder and with no album art; a problem I didn't have with my Sony.  Also, I tried loading a couple of DSD files but am getting the message that the format isn't supported.  I was under the impression that the Jr. does support all formats.  

AK advised me to properly "tag" the files but I have NO clue what or how to do in that regard.  

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #2,787 of 3,321
  A little advice if possible?  

I just received my Jr. from a fellow Headfier and I absolutely love the sound.  Coming from a Sony NWZ-A847, that's not surprising.  What I am finding annoying is that quite a lot of my music is going into the "unknown" folder and with no album art; a problem I didn't have with my Sony.  Also, I tried loading a couple of DSD files but am getting the message that the format isn't supported.  I was under the impression that the Jr. does support all formats.  

AK advised me to properly "tag" the files but I have NO clue what or how to do in that regard.  

How are you transferring your music? I assume you're connecting it via USB? If so, id suggest creating a folder or two and organise them how you want. It may be transferring into an 'unknown folder' by default. Not entirely sure as I haven't experienced that myself. In regards to the album art, if you are using EAC, there is a function which allows you to download the art and embed it within the music file. Otherwise, if you bought it online and it is without album art, id suggest contacting the seller.

The DSD files must be 1bit 2.8MHz (DSD64). DSD128 (5.6MHz) and above is unsupported.

Id assume that AK is suggesting that you right click a song, choose 'Properties', 'Details' and add necessary information for the player to better sort your music.

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #2,788 of 3,321

How are you transferring your music? I assume you're connecting it via USB? If so, id suggest creating a folder or two and organise them how you want. It may be transferring into an 'unknown folder' by default. Not entirely sure as I haven't experienced that myself. In regards to the album art, if you are using EAC, there is a function which allows you to download the art and embed it within the music file. Otherwise, if you bought it online and it is without album art, id suggest contacting the seller.

The DSD files must be 1bit 2.8MHz (DSD64). DSD128 (5.6MHz) and above is unsupported.

Id assume that AK is suggesting that you right click a song, choose 'Properties', 'Details' and add necessary information for the player to better sort your music.

I am transferring the music via the provided USB cable.  I'm entirely ignorant as to how to create a correct folder to transfer and/or how to tag it. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #2,789 of 3,321
I have been using the B&W P7's for about 2 years, and for half a year with the AKJr. I was using the 5th gen for a while but didnt notice a difference compared to my OLD iPhone 3Gs, so I kept using the iPhone with AIFF's (and i'm still using it as my phone). I would say that there is a "slight" sound improvement in that when comparing back and forth with the same files on each, the iPod and iPhone sounded ever so slightly flat by comparison to the AKJr. which was just a bit crisper without the EQ switched on. (I was using Kate Bush "Wuthering Heights" and Toyah "Jungles of Jupiter")

Over all, my music sounds best on the AKJr. with the EQ switched off and the volume set from 50 to 55. All files are AIFF.
Also, the AKJr. uses the WM8740, which has been superseded. I dont know which Wolfson DAC the iPod used since there were a few others which would have been available back then.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #2,790 of 3,321
JamesJM Thanks for that. I've been fiddling around with the AK Jr for the past few days now and you're right about the EQ sounding best off and the SQ is definitely better. I'm just wondering now if I should go with the Pioneer XDP 100R as it's only $100 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back