Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,936 of 3,321
Perhaps the better comparison is to the ZX100, close to the Jr in price, which I've read has very similar specs to ZX2 (same output, etc...)- so I imagine AK Jr will best it in specs & measurement still, but has the 'Sony sound' and quality of life improvements (better battery but no android).

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #1,937 of 3,321
Thanks everyone I think I'm going with Astell jr. Don't need all that Android non sense of the Sony cause I got my iPhone. Also I get to experience an Astell for 500 ain't bad.

Can someone please confirm the glass on Astell is Gorilla Glass? Thx

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,938 of 3,321
Or maybe there was a reason Astell & Kern limits the size of the SD Card to 64gb in the specs. My experience is that the more tracks that are added the slower the Jr. responds.

There's that, but also I have a 128gb with 8100 songs and yes it is slow but what really gets me is every time I shut it off and back on again I have to listen to the same songs, it does not have "real" random play all songs. I wish they would focus on an update for this. I asked Alex who works with AK and said there would be an update but he does not know when.

Maybe if you start "random" on the second track instead of the first track it will generate a different playing order

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,941 of 3,321
Thanks for confirming the Gorilla Glass. Where did you all buy from? Are the Amazon Sellers good? Did come in a sealed box?

I purchased mine from Amazon. No issues.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #1,945 of 3,321
So, just found out on BH that the AK100ii is about $300 more than the jr....that looks like a great deal without having to breach the $1k barrier, no? And the display is AMOLED to boot

Tried in store once, I think less laggy UI too, & I think balanced & digital out options (though if you're going to digital out  I would walkman UI). (though the store Jr was mysteriously un-laggy unlike my own
very_evil_smiley.gif
). That rmaa report said the Jr was a cleaner line out source than even the top end AKs IIRC (in case you intnd to use an external amp).

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #1,946 of 3,321
So, just found out on BH that the AK100ii is about $300 more than the jr....that looks like a great deal without having to breach the $1k barrier, no? And the display is AMOLED to boot

If you are looking at the AK100ii you might want to investigate an older AK120.  A friend had both and preferred the AK120 but it doesn't have the network streaming but he liked the SQ better.  I have also read reviews from others supporting that opinion.  I think you can pick them up for ~$650 used.  

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,947 of 3,321
  If you are looking at the AK100ii you might want to investigate an older AK120.  A friend had both and preferred the AK120 but it doesn't have the network streaming but he liked the SQ better.  I have also read reviews from others supporting that opinion.  I think you can pick them up for ~$650 used.  

Lots of opinions. I have read a number that did not enjoy the 120 very much and preferred the later models. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #1,948 of 3,321
In terms of UI and response speed the AK100ii is much better. Feels like a more expensive product and there is definitely less lag and a more sophisticated UI.

However the SQ between the AK100ii and JR... I prefer the JR. The AK100ii has better seperation/layering and is wider, but at the same time is thin sounding. The JR is more lively and more meaty. There is more tonal density and texture. All the details are also there in the JR, it's just not as seperated or layered like the AK100ii. The JR is somehow more enveloping and 3D with more depth and rich in sound without being colored. It gets you more invovled/emotional in the music. All this without a bass boost or some kind of coloration. JR sounds beautiful.

The AK100ii is a great product but so is the JR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back