Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,758 of 3,321
  I heard that it only works on USB 2.0, and not 3.0

Some like the Geek Out work right out of the box.  Others like the AKs need tweaking.  If you search the AK240 threads there is a "How To" on the settings you need to change on Macs to make them work.

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #1,759 of 3,321
  On the DX90 the DAC function took many months to be fully functional... 

So I guess we will have to wait years for A&K to update the firmware?

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,760 of 3,321
  Some like the Geek Out work right out of the box.  Others like the AKs need tweaking.  If you search the AK240 threads there is a "How To" on the settings you need to change on Macs to make them work.

Someone posted that they used a USB hub and it worked, but the problem is with the firmware when using it with OSX  El Capitan, or even the later builds of Yosemite. Here is part of the email from their service rep (only removed my and reps name).

What version of OSX are you using? Unfortunately El Captain does not support a lot of the USB DACs. There are problems with Yosemite, and higher, versions of OSX supporting many USB DACs. It's an issue that spans over many USB DACs, not just Astell&Kern. The issue is that the OSX doesn't support the DAC, it's not a problem with the players. We’ve had to downgrade back to earlier versions of OSX to get them to work.

The players will function as a USB DAC but will not work through USB 3 ports. There are work arounds to getting USB 2 ports, but they vary by system. You can just google "usb3 to usb2 windows settings" to get an idea.

Hope this helps.

My reply

All my other USB DAC's work fine with El Capitan... I bought the Jr. partly because it was advertised as working with OSX.

How can we resolve this issue?

The response

Unfortunately, at this time, the AK Jr. will not work as a USB DAC with El Capitan. We’ve downgraded OSX versions for it to work. We’ve told the R&D team about the issue and hope for a fix in future firmware updates.

Hope for a fix? Seriously... Definitely does not inspire confidence in the product, then they broke off all communication, and failed to reply to further emails from me.

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,762 of 3,321
Dec 27, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #1,763 of 3,321
I had to use Mac OS from 2009 to get mine working.

Shame we have to go that far for the dac to work or just ignore the feature altogether. Guess this is why so many daps don't have a usb dac function (or manufacturers always say they will add it later).

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,765 of 3,321

It's not worth the $499 MSRP considering it doesn't work as advertised (external DAC does not work with current Mac OSX, or USB 3.0 Windows). The service rep blamed Apple for updating the OS, which is ridiculous. A&K needs to update the firmware, this issue was brought to their attention over 6 months ago. I do have the latest 1.03 firmware installed from August 2015 to no avail.

The whole conversation with the A&K rep was childish.

The primary is with the USB 3 governing board since they haven't approved the audio definitions.  I found that most DACs work just fine with USB 3  but DAPs with DAC capability are hit and miss. There are directions in the AK240 thread for the Mac settings necessary to get the AK240 working as a DAC.  They probably work for the other AKs. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #1,766 of 3,321
545 pages in one AK240 thread, 145 in the other. I will begin the search...lol
  The primary is with the USB 3 governing board since they haven't approved the audio definitions.  I found that most DACs work just fine with USB 3  but DAPs with DAC capability are hit and miss. There are directions in the AK240 thread for the Mac settings necessary to get the AK240 working as a DAC.  They probably work for the other AKs. 

535 pages in one AK240 thread, and 145 in the other. I will begin my search...lol

The bottom line is that A&K are promoting a function that doesn't work. Why wouldn't someone be kind of enough to let A&K know about the fix, rather than hiding in 700 pages of discussion, and letting A&K get **** on and lose customers?

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,768 of 3,321
Intermittent in the middle? What do you mean?

Problem 1

I DO have a problem when the next song of a different bit rate plays, it seems that the processor can't render the song properly and it sounds like AM radio or low fi.  This happens sometimes but not all the time. Anyone have this issue?

Problem 2

Also when its put in random mode, I get an error "there's no information to play. Please select a music"

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #1,769 of 3,321
I have the latest firmware and still find the touch interface really difficult to scroll. When you want to scroll fast, it's not responsive. At times a fast swipe doesn't move the scrolling much or at all. It's just hard to do what you want it to do. 
I used the Sony A17 and that leaves this UI in the dust. It was so nice how you can jump to 0-A, B-C, D-E etc alphabetically really fast and then scroll down the list. AK needs to rehaul it's UI.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,770 of 3,321
Intermittent in the middle? What do you mean?

Problem 1

I DO have a problem when the next song of a different bit rate plays, it seems that the processor can't render the song properly and it sounds like AM radio or low fi.  This happens sometimes but not all the time. Anyone have this issue?

Problem 2

Also when its put in random mode, I get an error "there's no information to play. Please select a music"

What I meant was the song is like cut out sometimes, not exactly in the middle of the song, it could happen anywhere while my ak Jr. is playing high res songs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back