Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,471 of 3,321
Might as well look into custom IEM's at that price range imo. Even with my chepaer CIEM's ($200 - http://www.inearz.com/sport150/) the AK Jr. sounded great. I haven't even used it with my top of the line CIEM's yet 

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #1,472 of 3,321

I would definitely take a listen to the Westone W40 as it pairs fantastically with the AK Jr. It can be found periodically on sale under 400€. If you prefer a more "V" shaped sound curve the W30's are right in your budget.  I find that the combination provides an excellent soundstage combined with a physicality to the music that I don't get with lessor DAPs.

Thanks for your advice, I'll look into the westone.
About headphones instead? Any advice?

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,473 of 3,321
Yeah but ehats the point of buying a DAP for the HD800? I mean, I wouldnt expect anyone to use them outside

just because you don't use it as such doesn't mean others don't. I prefer listening to open back full size cans than any iem/closed cans. On a long trip, I'd bring my HD800 to listen when in a hotel room or guest room at night and would be a plus not to lug a dedicated amp.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,474 of 3,321
When at home or at hotel, digging an amp out my luggage does not seem a problem.
But I cannot bare an amp in train or plane anymore as I know that Jr can do a really good job with iem.

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,475 of 3,321
  Thanks for your advice, I'll look into the westone.
About headphones instead? Any advice?

I have had great success using my AK Jr with Beyer Dynamic DT1350s and Sennheiser HD700s and also for a shorter eval with the Oppo PM-3s. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #1,477 of 3,321

I have had great success using my AK Jr with Beyer Dynamic DT1350s and Sennheiser HD700s and also for a shorter eval with the Oppo PM-3s. 

Did you like the Oppo Pm3s with the Jr. The PM3s are what I thinking of getting next.

My PM-3s pair well with my AK Jr. The AK adds a bit of warmth to the neutral PM-3 but I think they're still a fairly neutral combo and probably the most portable too. They sound great together but I still prefer using my Sony Z7s with the Jr. (a better combo imo).

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,478 of 3,321

Did you like the Oppo Pm3s with the Jr. The PM3s are what I thinking of getting next.

I quite enjoyed the combination but quite frankly it was not long enough to provide a detailed evaluation. I was trying to see if I preferred them to my IEMs (PFE232 and W40) for traveling use but preferred my W40s as the Jr makes present like a on-ear closed back model with the physical presence one would not normally get with universal IEMs..

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,482 of 3,321
Do I need to use Dapper for A&K? Or can I just drag and drop music to a card when it's mounted?

I'm having a bit of trouble with my Jr. and J-River.  Perhaps you can help me:

I'm trying to sync with my AK Jr, to internal memory.  I use a Smartlist to compile 5GB of music and I drag-and-drop the list of songs into the Sync Handheld Action Box.  My sync settings include "delete any songs not on the sync list".  This morning I was told that I was trying to sync 7.1 GB more data than my hand held could hold.  I manually moved every song on the AK Jr. to Trash and tried again.  I was now told that I was trying to sync 9.8 GB more data than my hand held could hold.  How is that possible? 

What do I have to change in the way I'm doing things?

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,483 of 3,321
Astell and Kern noted on facebook that you are not to use a fast charger (plug-in) and only use the usb cable and the usb port from a computer to charge. Has anyone had issues charging it from the wall because that's all I use.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,484 of 3,321
  Astell and Kern noted on facebook that you are not to use a fast charger (plug-in) and only use the usb cable and the usb port from a computer to charge. Has anyone had issues charging it from the wall because that's all I use.

A wall charger is the only way I've ever charged mine and have no problems at all.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #1,485 of 3,321
I have only ever used a wall charger to charge mine, never had a problem. I don't remember seeing that you couldn't do it that way. Manual has a caveat that you need to only use their cabling...
Straight from the manual:

If you connect it to the PC for charging, the charging time may vary depending on whether it is turned On or Off. If you use a separate 5V 2A output adapter to charge it, it will take up to 4 hours. (Assuming full discharge and power OFF) If the device is On and/or being used while charging, the charge time may be longer or the battery may not fully charge. Charging with the device turned Off is recommended. The device may not be charged if the PC or USB connection goes into standby/sleep mode. The device may charge slowly or not charge at all in extreme temperatures. Charging in a room-temperature setting is recommended. The built-in battery will gradually lose capacity over time according to the number of charges/discharges. Check if it is connected to the high-power USB 2.0 port. A low-powered USB port (i.e. keyboard or USB hub without a dedicated power supply) will increase the charge time. Do not use any Micro USB cable other than the one provided with the product. It may cause malfunction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back