Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,147 of 3,321
No, its not that simple. Because why does my Oppo HA-2 work on a USB 3 Port, but the AK doesn't?

Well, actually, I think the Oppo is an Amp/DAC only, while the Jr is both a DAC and a DAP - which makes it completely different. Let me explain.
USB3 is for file transfer only; there is no Audio layer available on top of it. So for the OS to send raw music file to a DAC, it must default back to USB 2.0 and use the audio service.

Now, in the case of a DAP, the OS also want to connect to it using the USB 3.0 protocol because it might want to transfer files across (at a faster rate, this is what USB 3.0 is meant for).

So Windows by default will keep the port in USB 3.0 as it is compatible with the Jr (for file transfers), and will not default back to USB 2.0 even when you want to send audio to it. In the case of a DAC only, windows will not find the Oppo to be USB 3.0 compatible at all, and will always default to USB 2.0 - so this work. forcing all USB 3.0 ports to behave as USB 2.0 only solves the problem (in an hughly way, but it works).

OSX does a better job and switches back and forth depending on the service making use of the port.

(@mosshorn : Linux surely can do both - just no idea how to tweak it, I have switch to a Mac 2 years ago
rolleyes.gif
).

My two cents - I was going through the thread to see feedback on the Jr +  ES 64 , and I have found the feedback I was after: thanks for all the time most of you spend providing untainted feedback.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,150 of 3,321

My two cents - I was going through the thread to see feedback on the Jr +  ES 64 , and I have found the feedback I was after: thanks for all the time most of you spend providing untainted feedback.

I got this configuration if you need, though I am not seasoned audiophile but rather amateur.

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,152 of 3,321
  I got this configuration if you need, though I am not seasoned audiophile but rather amateur.

Thanks Phil - I have already read your feedback on how these two pair together, but any further comment is more than welcome: are you still happy after a few weeks?

I am no audiophile either; I currently have an iPhone4S playing Flac, a practical device XM6, and the SM64 as my mobile lineup - and this is close to make me fully happy (but for the 64GB limitation, and the size of the stacked up system). I chose the SM64 over the SM3 as they sounded much better with the XM6 amp I already had (to drive the Ultrasone Pro 2900), but directly out of the iPhone, the SM3 were somewhat better as the iPhone is at pain driving the SM64 directly. Looks like the Jr has enough power to drive them hard - do you confirm?

Thanks - Fred

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,153 of 3,321
It is nearly a month that I listen SM64 through the Jr and I really enjoy the pairing.

I have never felt the need to add an amp to drive the SM64 that are known to be quite demanding, for IEMs (specs tells 98ohms). I listen at 35-37, sometime 40 on certain records. That is more than enough for me. I gave a charge to my Cayin C5 last evening to give it a try only because people asked me to do the test. On first attempt, after a week or so with Jr,  I didn't notice anything. Let us see after a month.

What I noticed after a while is that Jr positions you right in front of the stage. First row, may be on stage for certain records. 
I love the pair in the fact it gives details with a bit of warmth that make listening fun. Not as dark as FiiO DAP, sure. Just warm enough for me. With more low and high than X1 on line-out. It is usual that I find myself tapping my foot in office. Hum, embarassing (but so fun).

I retried C5 with Jr this morning and to my hearing there is no difference in SQ on the SM64. But C5 is clearly another beast in term of power. It took me a moment to get same amount of volume on both configuration. C5 with Jr maxed on line-out is at 2.5 on 10 while Jr must be at 40-42 on 75 (pretty high for me). At first I thought soundstage was much larger on C5 but in fact volume makes a lot into that. Once volume at same level the difference gets more subtile. C5 seems to reveal a soundstage a little larger on certain records that make it easier to separate instruments. More relaxing.
So Jr is, for my hearing, a good pairing with SM64 (I like these IEMs but I know it is not the cup of tea of everybody) and its slim form-factor is a real win. C5 will definitively not commute or travel anymore. I will keep it for listening in the couch, just hoping it will not take too much dust :wink: time will tell.

It is just my little experience. I listened to MP3 through Hifiman RE0 on phones a year ago before converting to FLAC on the X1 through SM64 (and C5 to drive them). Then Jr now for a month. So take my opinion for what it is, just personal. I advice you find a shop where you can test Jr and make your own opinion with the SM64 (and if possible your music). 

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #1,154 of 3,321
I NEED HELP:
can someone here compare if the AK JR is better than the sound of an IPHONE 6?
i need help FAST.
im about to buy one.... :frowning2:
and i dont wanna regret buying akjr just because the 6 is better

THANKS in ADVANCE...

i actually have an iphone 6.
AND using ak 10 on it.
so im thinking if an AK JR is an upgrade in sound and portability.

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,155 of 3,321
Thought there are already a lot of users reviews and comparisons of the AK Jr vs iPhone 6?

Maybe you should do a detailed audition and decide based on what you hear?

Reading impressions are plainly preference of others, and not necessary a good match to your own preference.

Buy first, do a thorough AB testing, and sell the one you don't like?

Personal preference though, after getting my AK Jr, I don't use my iPhone 6+ as DAP any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back