Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #1,171 of 3,321
  ...guys...
do you have a LINK for the MAC update for the latest AK JR firmware and the AK 10 dac amp?
i need it.
and i cant seem to find it.

my AK JR is still v.1.00 and when i transfered my playlist via FOLDERS... its not there.
only the songs, artist and albums exists.

http://www.iriverinc.com/download/downloadView.asp?selectPart=&findWord=&sno=1122&page=1&cateCode=

Download the zip, take the .hex file and drag it to the root directory of your Jr. It should auto update once you disconnect the cable after.

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #1,172 of 3,321
oh , i get it now...
i put the songs in the folder then put it in MUSIC file.
then create the playlist in the PLAYER itself then rename them in the imac again :) 

i downloaded a .HEX file in the ak site...
and paste it in the player's main folder....
i didnt saw it upgrade its firmware.
is that normal?

did i get the right file?

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,177 of 3,321
There is no Mac specific download for the firmware. It is simply a zip file that you unpack and copy over the AK_JR.hex fe to the root directory and power cycle to install.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,178 of 3,321
The install is pretty seamless and since it isn't over the air you get to control what version of firmware you are on.

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #1,179 of 3,321
The JR for $380 plus a 64gb card, What!!

http://www.adorama.com/AKAKJRI.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=Q7pUGcWfnXdr2bVzRHR%3awQFHUkX1-GXryzzvT00&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #1,182 of 3,321
Hey Guys, 

I created an account in the hope you can help with some issues, 

Loving my AK Jr so far, except for my inability to get the USB DAC function to work in windows 10. It sees the device, but doesn't seem to output any audio. (it thinks it's outputting, but I don't hear anything)

I've done a full reinstall of windows 10 and still no luck. Doesn't seem to be any official driver, so i'm not sure what i'm missing? 

Also, many of my songs seem to get cut off in the last second or two. None of my previous players have done this, so i'm not sure why the Jr would. Doesn't seem to be any kind of setting to disable this. any pointers? 

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,183 of 3,321
  Hey Guys, 

I created an account in the hope you can help with some issues, 

Loving my AK Jr so far, except for my inability to get the USB DAC function to work in windows 10. It sees the device, but doesn't seem to output any audio. (it thinks it's outputting, but I don't hear anything)

I've done a full reinstall of windows 10 and still no luck. Doesn't seem to be any official driver, so i'm not sure what i'm missing? 

Also, many of my songs seem to get cut off in the last second or two. None of my previous players have done this, so i'm not sure why the Jr would. Doesn't seem to be any kind of setting to disable this. any pointers? 

The last second cut off is a firmware issue. What firmware are you running on? Did you ever update your firmware? A&K claim to have fixed it with recent updates. Also, read a few pages before this one. People found a solution to that issue. It had to do with windows driver not working properly, and was fixed rather easily.

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #1,184 of 3,321
The last second cut off is a firmware issue. What firmware are you running on? Did you ever update your firmware? A&K claim to have fixed it with recent updates. Also, read a few pages before this one. People found a solution to that issue. It had to do with windows driver not working properly, and was fixed rather easily.

I upgraded to 1.03 which as far as I know is the latest, still have the issue

As for the Dac issue, if you are referring to the USB 3.0 issue, then it doesn't work for me. I've tried several different ports and cables, removing usb3 drivers etc. Still doesn't work.

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,185 of 3,321
I upgraded to 1.03 which as far as I know is the latest, still have the issue

As for the Dac issue, if you are referring to the USB 3.0 issue, then it doesn't work for me. I've tried several different ports and cables, removing usb3 drivers etc. Still doesn't work.

He also said removing drivers doesn't work, but he got it by disabling xHCI via BIOS setting. Have you tried this?

As for the cutting, I don't think there is a solution yet. Better wait for the next firmware, I guess.

Quote:
  my dear fellows! i have found a solution for the non-working USB DAC in windows!!!!!

all you need to do is enter BIOS when you turn on or reboot your machine (search what the keyboard shortcut is for your machine, look at motherboard provider website if it's a desktop or laptop provider otherwise) and disable the option for USB 3 (xHCI), boot normally and viola your AK Jr now works as a USB DAC!!

I have also tried leaving that BIOS option on but disabling the USB3 driver in device manager in windows but that didn't work for me. Also, after disabling that BIOS option, it works whether the USB3 driver is enabled or disabled.

Enjoy! (i'd suggest leaving the volume on your AK Jr midway (not max) as it was very noisy for me at max (75))

Let me know if it works for you! (note this is of course ideal only if you use USB3 once in a while)

tag for google searches: how to fix Astell & Kern AK Jr USB DAC not working no sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back