Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #1,126 of 3,321
  But why buy a high OI source when you don't know exactly how much it's going to impact/change the FR of your iems? If you are looking to alter the FR curve use an EQ so you know exactly what you are getting. No matter how you put it whether it makes it sound good or not, high OI on a DAP is a flawed design.

I look at AK/JH partnership more of a marketing decision. I have not seen JH promoted any of their iems with an AK100. I only seen the partnership took an aggressive push starting with AK240.

It's also very hard to find frequency response of IEMs with added loads, so it's hard to guess what happens to an iem when paired with the AK100.

JH partnership was not for the 100. AK100 was mainly marketed with full sized hps.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #1,127 of 3,321
What is your comparison of the ak vs dx90 with your er4s?

It is an interesting and close one since we are dealing with a single BA driver. When compared the DX90 sounds a bit more phasey which can be pleasing with the er4s which I use with the Comply T130 tips to tame them a bit. The AK Jr is more vivid without being bright. This is most evident on CD-level material. Moving to 24/96 such as Mosaic the AK pulls ahead as the DX90 makes the recording sound "wetter" to use a mastering term - a touch too much reverb. Quit frankly if the er4s were my only IEMS I would prefer the DX90 all thinks being equal. However, moving to the PFE232 or W40 which both are multi-driver, the AK pulls away for my taste as both have better resolution at the extremes.   

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #1,128 of 3,321
 AK100 was mainly marketed with full sized hps.

But the dedicated was an AKR01, the Final heaven IV...
AKR02 , is a Final Fi-Ba-ss for ~AK120
AKR03, is JH...  dedicated for AK240.

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #1,129 of 3,321

But the dedicated was an AKR01, the Final heaven IV...

IV was one of the IEMs that gets closer to defuse field reference with added impedance. In this case, added impedance works pretty well. But is that how IV was meant to be heard? That's arguable, as if that was the way FAD want it to be, why didn't FAD tune it like that to begin with?

Aug 18, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #1,131 of 3,321

Because FAD needs also to sell  the V, Vaging, VI, VII, VIII... and so on...

Than it sucks for the consumer, doesn't it? Aren't we talking about how AK100 to AK100 MKII transition is a rip off for the customers? Isn't it the same for FAD if that's the case?

Maybe looking at it from the companies' point of view, moves like chose are profitable. But for customers(most members of hf), doesn't it suck?

Aug 18, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #1,132 of 3,321
  Than it sucks for the consumer, doesn't it? Aren't we talking about how AK100 to AK100 MKII transition is a rip off for the customers? Isn't it the same for FAD if that's the case?

Maybe looking at it from the companies' point of view, moves like chose are profitable. But for customers(most members of hf), doesn't it suck?

And how! Same case with FAD.

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,133 of 3,321
  But why buy a high OI source when you don't know exactly how much it's going to impact/change the FR of your iems? If you are looking to alter the FR curve use an EQ so you know exactly what you are getting. No matter how you put it whether it makes it sound good or not, high OI on a DAP is a flawed design.

I look at AK/JH partnership more of a marketing decision. I have not seen JH promoted any of their iems with an AK100. I only seen the partnership took an aggressive push starting with AK240.

Jerry was carrying around and recommending the original AK120 way back.

Likely got associated with AK due to his affinity for their products.

For those with DAC issues, this is a common issue for communication devices if your USB2.0 emulator drivers are not working to spec. It's not on AK. Try updating or finding better drivers. Newer MACs partially due to limited hardware arrangements, are almost always working. Older ones may also need updates. Most PCs will as well but those without usb 2 ports and marginal drivers can have problems with these sort of devices in their 3.0 ports due to a substandard emulator driver.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,135 of 3,321

I sent an email to A&K support yesterday. Will report what they return with.

my dear fellows! i have found a solution for the non-working USB DAC in windows!!!!!

all you need to do is enter BIOS when you turn on or reboot your machine (search what the keyboard shortcut is for your machine, look at motherboard provider website if it's a desktop or laptop provider otherwise) and disable the option for USB 3 (xHCI), boot normally and viola your AK Jr now works as a USB DAC!!

I have also tried leaving that BIOS option on but disabling the USB3 driver in device manager in windows but that didn't work for me. Also, after disabling that BIOS option, it works whether the USB3 driver is enabled or disabled.

Enjoy! (i'd suggest leaving the volume on your AK Jr midway (not max) as it was very noisy for me at max (75))

Let me know if it works for you! (note this is of course ideal only if you use USB3 once in a while)

tag for google searches: how to fix Astell & Kern AK Jr USB DAC not working no sound

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #1,138 of 3,321

Wrong. It is an AK Issue, since other DAC's work with USB 3.0 under Mac OS.

actually AK Jr works with USB3 in mac as well but I do agree that AK should look into why it doesn't work with USB3 in windows and provides a fix if possible

but I read somewhere that AK responded to customers and said it's not fixable at all. anyway I am happy for now :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back