Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #1,097 of 3,321
  Somehow I have a SSD Macbook Air with 3.0 ports and I use my AK Jr as a DAC.
Which version of Mac OS X are you running? I'm running 10.10

I'm running the 10.11 beta. A couple of people have had issues though and I doubt they're all running the beta.
How old is your Macbook? Maybe it's just newer Macbooks?
On the other site, a review says the dealer reached out to A&K and was told it's an unmitigable problem. 

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,098 of 3,321
huh? Clearly you have no idea what you're saying here...single driver iems do ok with higher impedance, but multi BA is very likely to mess up with high impedance(anything above 5 really). If you don't believe me, look at measurements of UERM with added impedance. There is a significant(over 5db) loss in treble when paired with 22ohms, which is unacceptable for monitoring use.

:))))

No sir, You have no Idea.

Monitoring? With ak100 ? or Maybe Akjr ?

The headphones output of RME Fireface UFX and Apogee Ensemble is 30 Ohm...

So maybe its a UERM  fault ?

Or maybe you made a bad measurements ?

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #1,099 of 3,321
  I'm running the 10.11 beta. A couple of people have had issues though and I doubt they're all running the beta.
How old is your Macbook? Maybe it's just newer Macbooks?
On the other site, a review says the dealer reached out to A&K and was told it's an unmitigable problem. 

Mine is mid 2013 model I believe. That really sucks. Sorry to hear that. I wonder if other AKs are the same, or if it's just JR's problem.

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #1,100 of 3,321

:))))

No sir, You have no Idea.

Monitoring? With ak100 ? or Maybe Akjr ?

The headphones output of RME Fireface UFX and Apogee Ensemble is 30 Ohm...

So maybe its a UERM  fault ?

Or maybe you made a bad measurements ?

Hmm firstly, I didn't make any measurements myself. Few of my friends did, all yielding the same result. Besides, it's really not UERM's fault. Most of multi BA does the same thing. It makes sense. Each driver reacts differently to impedance, so the sound is altered. And considering that AK100 was a "portable MQS" system, it makes total sense that it is used with portable gears, which includes multi BA IEMs. If you have been following portable amps, you would know that most of them have ultra low impedance. The designers who design those amps aren't stupid. It's best to have lower impedance for portable gears. With headphones, sure. 20ohm is fine in most cases. Like I've had no issue with HD800 paired with AK100. But AK100 clearly isn't meant for the HD800.

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #1,101 of 3,321
Eh, might as well get to it right now. If you're wondering why impedance matters, here are actual proofs that high impedance can alter the sound sig(for better or worse).

So the bass gains a weird peak at 500hz and treble is totally wrecked with even 33ohms of impedance. 22 should cause the same thing.(hmm, unless you like having a 10db dip at your treble, i don't see how you can say that AK100's OI doesn't alter the sound quality.)

And this is the SE535, which is slightly less prone to impedance, but still alters a lot.

As you can see, multi BA iems are indeed ****ed with high impedance.

*These measurements are taken from my friend Rin's website(and the SE535 measured was mine, and I can assure you that it wasn't broken). Rin perhaps takes the best measurements. Ask any audio engineer to see if his measurements are legit.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #1,102 of 3,321
Oh... cool, so according to measurements, just throw the SE535 to the garbage.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #1,103 of 3,321
  Oh... cool, so according to measurements, just throw the SE535 to the garbage.

Huh? I never said that. I enjoyed the SE535, when it was paired correctly. If you enjoy losing 10db at 6k, you might as well just buy a pair of extra bass headphones and be happy with them. We're on head-fi, and a frequency alteration like that is simply unacceptable.

I also think that I would prefer that the Jr has a 0.1ohm OI, but 2 ohms is way better than 22ohms, so I'm not complaining.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #1,104 of 3,321
Again, there is no such thing, "2 ohm better then 22 ohm".

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #1,105 of 3,321
  Again, there is no such thing, "2 ohm better then 22 ohm".

Put it this way. 2ohm would not mess up the treble on 2 of my IEMs like 22ohm would do. And by mess up, I don't mean 3db mess up. I mean a 10db alteration. So for me(and other BA owners), 2ohm is better than 22ohms(again, unless you like messed up treble for some peculiar reason).

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #1,106 of 3,321
535, is a soft, boomy IEM... that's all.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,108 of 3,321
  Somehow I have a SSD Macbook Air with 3.0 ports and I use my AK Jr as a DAC.
Which version of Mac OS X are you running? I'm running 10.10

I​ am using 64bits Windows 10, and using USB3.0 port. 64bits Win does not support USB3.0 Dac, so have not had a chance to try out the sound quality of the USB Dac.

With the superb sounding of the AK Jr directly from headphone out, I am sure the USB Dac will be very good as well.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,109 of 3,321

I​ am using 64bits Windows 10, and using USB3.0 port. 64bits Win does not support USB3.0 Dac, so have not had a chance to try out the sound quality of the USB Dac.

With the superb sounding of the AK Jr directly from headphone out, I am sure the USB Dac will be very good as well.

This is so strange. I have 64bit+3.0 Desktop that I use with my AK Jr. I wonder why everyone else's Mac and PCs don't work with the Jr... I've been using them fine...

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,110 of 3,321
  This is so strange. I have 64bit+3.0 Desktop that I use with my AK Jr. I wonder why everyone else's Mac and PCs don't work with the Jr... I've been using them fine...

That's weird. Will try out again later. Tested once when bought my AK Jr and no sound came out and thus read the FAQ file at iRiver website. It is indicated that for 64bits system, need to use a USB2.0 connection to work.

Not a show stopper though, as I don't really need the USB Dac out since I am using it mainly for my travel use. Just thought of testing the SQ of the USB Dac.

This is the best combination with ASG2.5, a superb sounding DAP and enjoying it everyday.

Glad that AK took away all the unnecessary functionalities to focus on squeezing out the best sound quality of this DAP. Unbelievable sound from this really small and portable device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back