Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,021 of 3,321
So after the new firmware update via A&K japan, I must say the UI's response has increased, yet there are times when it is still "laggy".  After 2 months of solid use, and having become used to the previous fw's, it's not a bother, but I am happy with the new firmware sofar.  

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,022 of 3,321
I'm curious about this lag.  Does it happen on the internal memory or external memory (sd card) or both.  If it is the sd card I wonder if card speed could be playing a part here.  I've become interested in the jr as the 6th gen ipod touch has a camera which is banned in the area I work in.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #1,024 of 3,321
  I'm curious about this lag.  Does it happen on the internal memory or external memory (sd card) or both.  If it is the sd card I wonder if card speed could be playing a part here.  I've become interested in the jr as the 6th gen ipod touch has a camera which is banned in the area I work in.

I think it has to do with the size of the library. I put all of my iTunes music on a 128GB SD Card, about 12,000 tracks, and my FLAC and DSD tracks on the internal memory, about 500 tracks. It takes about half an hour to scan them to create the Jr's library. That size causes a noticeable lag when browsing in the folder mode or changing categories. I think it has more to do with processor speed than card transfer speed. My experience has been that the fewer tracks the less lag. That could be why AK says it takes up to a 64GB card even though it will take a 128GB or 200GB one. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #1,025 of 3,321
silly question but won't the volume knobs on all these A&K DAPs get turned in pockets or bags unintentionally? or is there a locking mechanism?

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,028 of 3,321
  My AK Jr just arrived this afternoon.  Just wanted to post a quick couple of observations:
The SanDisk 128GB card from my Fiio X1 was scanned by the AK Jr perfectly and seems to be working great.  The Bluetooth feature paired with my iPhone 6 without issue and now interrupts the music when I get a call..A huge plus for me and worth the price for that alone.  Charging now and listening this weekend.  More later.

hello do you mind elaborating on this please? 

1. what does this do exactly? 
2. do you have to install anything on the iphone to get this to work?
3. can you use earphones with in-line control to control the volume and tracks on the Jr?
3a. if so, can you transfer the call from the phone to Jr and answer from Jr using the in-line mic?

thanks!

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,030 of 3,321
Yes, coming from the new iPod Touch there is still a noticable lag. Not as bad as with the Version 1.0, but it still feels a bit slow.

Only had a bit of time with the new firmware and agree with others, it is faster yet still some lag. So definitely a step in the right direction :)

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,031 of 3,321
Is it just me? if the new firmware still lags then they are a ONLY a step nearer to where they SHOULD have been BEFORE the Jr was released. Started off a few steps back and just playing catch up.
By the time the firmware issues are straightened out it will be time to produce Jrii, and back to square one (or minus 1) 

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,032 of 3,321
It depends on user expectations I guess. I have no complaints on the UI and speed of the interface. It is not the fastest, but I am not using it for games or apps like in iphone, and probably people compare its operating speed vs a iphone.

My AK Jr does not hang on me, does not stop playing all these time when using. It just took longer to boot up, and after that, it is all good and smooth. It is a lot smoother and faster than most high end China made DAP that I used to own.

I have literally all music files with album art all working perfectly. Something that all my other DAPs couldnt do at first time.

Try out an actual set and make judgement call if it fits your requirement. Some find it a slight lag, but some, like me, finds it very acceptable. Perhaps it is my personal experience with other DAP that are really slow, as compared to my AK Jr. For me, a DAP will just be required to display the album or songs categorised properly, I scroll to the choice of selection, it reacts smoothly with the right song. Click play and it plays. If need to change songs selection, click next button at the side, and it immediately change to next song. Rest of the time, the DAP should deliver the best sound quality possible. This will be what AK JR perfectly delivers.

Always happy to see new firmware out to make it even better for user experience, but I will be perfectly happy to use it if no more improvement in the firmware.

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,033 of 3,321
After a few days with the Jr. i don't see any reason to keep it over my new iPod Touch 6G 128GB. I did some AB-Testing with an Switch and volume-matched them both.They sound nearly identical to me (as most of the modern DAP's do). So the SQ is already pretty even. But the iPod Touch 6G is better in every other category. The UI is slick, fast and works great all the time. The display has the way better resolution. I am quiet dissapointed about the Jr. Not only is it possibly the slowest USB-Drive i have ever used, it also has problems showing the Coverartwork. Yes, the build is great. Even though the corners are way to sharp in my Opinion. But thats it. It looks good.

I can not recommend the Jr. I would have thought that i end up selling my new iPod, but the Jr. just showed me how much better my iPod really is. And i am no Apple-Fanboy. But for the Money you can spend on DAP's, the new Touch in my opinion is the best bang for the buck.

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,034 of 3,321
  After a few days with the Jr. i don't see any reason to keep it over my new iPod Touch 6G 128GB. I did some AB-Testing with an Switch and volume-matched them both.They sound nearly identical to me (as most of the modern DAP's do). So the SQ is already pretty even. But the iPod Touch 6G is better in every other category. The UI is slick, fast and works great all the time. The display has the way better resolution. I am quiet dissapointed about the Jr. Not only is it possibly the slowest USB-Drive i have ever used, it also has problems showing the Coverartwork. Yes, the build is great. Even though the corners are way to sharp in my Opinion. But thats it. It looks good.

I can not recommend the Jr. I would have thought that i end up selling my new iPod, but the Jr. just showed me how much better my iPod really is. And i am no Apple-Fanboy. But for the Money you can spend on DAP's, the new Touch in my opinion is the best bang for the buck.

It's an awesome DAP. If they only added in Micro SD slots :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back