Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #1,051 of 3,321
It's really not. Fiio E7 has the same chip too, but it's no where near AK Jr. It's not about the chip. There are over hundred products with the exact chip, but they sound different. I owned the AK10, AK100 and AK Jr(all same chip) and AK Jr sounds the best. Even RMAA(through same sound card) shows that AK10 lacks severely behind AK100 and Jr.(It's more about the implementation)

Thanks for the info, good to know I made a good choice :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #1,052 of 3,321
Thanks for the info, good to know I made a good choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup! Some RMAA actually shows that AK10 worsens the sound quality of an iPhone(iphones already have entry level audiophile specs).

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #1,055 of 3,321
Yes it is better. I have Iphone6+ and AK Jr is better at least to my ears. 

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #1,057 of 3,321
  ...im still waiting for an accurate answer...
sorry for repeating.

here i am again..

is the AK JR better than the iphone 6 headphone out?

Yes. At least in terms of RMAA. Though I doubt that the difference is audible unless you try really hard. Like if you plan on using it outdoors, I highly doubt that you can tell the difference. iPhone is really good in terms of audio.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,058 of 3,321
  ...im still waiting for an accurate answer...
sorry for repeating.

here i am again..

is the AK JR better than the iphone 6 headphone out?

Yes.  

I assume that part of this is due to the hardware and its implementation and part is due to the higher resolution of music I play on my DAPs.  

I also prefer the UI on the Jr.  As Apple rolled out their streaming option they were pretty heavy handed about it and IMO screwed up the player UI on the iPhone.  I now have to hunt for my stored music. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #1,060 of 3,321
Just saw the Jr...

Sounds worse than AK100, a worse form factor then AK100, No optical output ...
500$... almost the price of ak100...

So now to get the AK with optical output, the price tag is 900$ ? :) unbelievable ...

Whats going on ? The AK manager wants to build a new yacht using  old stock of unused 8740 from dusty warehouse?

A JR, is total downgrade after the so tiny but sexy ak100.

p.s.:
Holly Hugo! To feed you with the light is much expensive those days...

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,062 of 3,321
  Just saw the Jr...

Sounds worse than AK100, a worse form factor then AK100, No optical output ...
500$... almost the price of ak100...

So now to get the AK with optical output, the price tag is 900$ ? :) unbelievable ...

Whats going on ? The AK manager wants to build a new yacht using  old stock of unused 8740 from dusty warehouse?

A JR, is total downgrade after the so tiny but sexy ak100.

p.s.:
Holly Hugo! To feed you with the light is much expensive those days...

have both the ak100 as well as the jr, don't share any of your thoughts, sorry!

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #1,063 of 3,321
  have both the ak100 as well as the jr, don't share any of your thoughts, sorry!

Its just me and my colleagues impression... AK100 sounds much better then Jr.

Its also has a much better form factor,
It has dual card slot
It has optical in
It has optical out.
It is sounds better...

I think AK do a very mediocre job in this device...

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #1,064 of 3,321

Its just my and my colleagues impression... AK100 sounds much better then Jr.

Its also has a much better form factor,
It has dual card slot
It has optical in
It has optical out.
It is sounds better...

I think AK do a very mediocre job in this device...

Form factor is subjective, but I think the AK Jr is the best form factor of the AK range. It is extremely thin and very very well made, and it is seriously "pocketable". AK100 form is a little too square and slightly more bulky to me.

As for the card slot, I am quite happy with the internal memory of 64GB (have not filled all) and a card slot with a 128GB microSD (which is completely empty for now). If they have included dual card slots into the AK Jr, it would have made a bulkier form, which is no good for me.

The buyers of AK Jr is probably not gonna use it with optical in since it is already capable of playing all types of lossless files, including DSD (convert to pcm). If they have included this, it will again make it bulkier and increase the price further.

Sound impression wise, no one can change your preference, but I had a good listening at the audio store (with AK100 and AK Jr) and I find them quite close, with AK Jr better in overall Sound Quality. Personal preference as well, and if you "see" a AK100 sounds better to you, you can always grab a AK100. AK made different models for different people with different needs/preference. Grab a DAP which is closest to your listening preference.

Sound preference is subjective and you don't have to go with the majority users who finds the AK Jr much more superior in sound quality. In fact, to my ears, it is much better than top tier DAPs that cost much more. This is after actual "hearing" of quite a few of them, not just seeing the form factor. In fact, I was deciding between a few other DAPs higher in price and was ignoring the "Junior" thinking that it is probably an entry level player which can't be any good. After trying out, I walked out of the store with a AK Jr, save the budget for a nice black leather case, and a highest speed 128GB microSD card. 1 week later, I end up selling off my DX90 too. It is that good to me, as it ticks all the box of my needs.

As for design of this device, I would say, kudos to AK for the great design and sound quality. Not many DAP comes close to this great design with good balance of form and features. It looks super nice in Blue, Red, and Black, but equally sexy in pure silver.

Aug 16, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,065 of 3,321
What I see is taking all features from AK100, lowering production costs by 50% and leaving almost the same price tag...

It's not objective/subjective... Today, if you need to get an optical transport from AK, you should spend 900$... yes, 900$ just for a transport ...

the AK100 is discontinued...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back