Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #871 of 3,321

Heh. Yeah, the Jr. can be awfully finicky with loading music.

In my experience, using a media manager program, like Media Monkey or Media Go had no problems loading files to the Jr. every time I tried.

Hello to everybody,
just a simple question.
Could i use mediago  to manage my music on the Jr as i do with my Sony  Nwza15?

thank you!!

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #872 of 3,321
  Hi all experts, 

I bought AK JR for about 1 week. But I found sometimes my AK JR screen is nothing shown when I press the power button during I listen the song, not really know it is a bug or not ? Does anyone having the same situation as mine ? I need to hard power-off and power-on again every time when I meet this problem. Anyone could help for this issue? 

Thanks so much :)

Quote:
  I have that issue. I suspect it's a firmware issue, as all the other hardware works perfectly fine. I am yet to fine the solution though.

Hi Kimvictor or others expert, 

Do you think that we need to get the replacement by this issue ? 'cos I am worry that is only happened on some batch. Actually, do you find any solution yet ? 
Do you replicate the issue easily ? 'cos sometimes it works , sometimes it does not.

Thank you all.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #873 of 3,321
I've had the AJ Jr since Saturday and here are some observations relative to the AK100 II I wold off:
  1. The UI is definitely sluggish.  It does not keep up to the songs and when using the remote, it definitely lags.
  2. Oh yes, the AK remote works and that's great
  3. SQ, to my ears is very close to that of the AK 100 II and I'm really pleased with that.  It drives the HE400i nicely, but not with full authority but it's very listenable.
  4. Wow, is this thing light especially compared to the solid AK100 II
  5. Corners are sharp, too sharp but I've go the black case on order which should make this a non issue
  6. It did not come with the screen protectors attached, oh well, I'm careful with my stuff and will leave the protectors off
  7. UI is pretty simple and the screen seems grainy compared to the AK 100 II but is still very usable.  Would like to see themes in the next version
  8. File transfer: Sloooow but better than using Android file transfer
I'm basically very happy with it. I mainly use it with the remote and when lounging, love the manual controls and barely use the screen.  Love the volume knob and is more ergonomic than the AK100 II. I'm quite happy with the downgrade and will keep this one for a while.
When I picked up the unit, I had the chance to audition it with the Shure SE846... umm, WOW!  I know what I'll be mating the AK Jr with.

Happy Listening! M

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #874 of 3,321
If you need suggestions on where to purchase a case, I would like to suggest AnalogueSeduction.
http://www.analogueseduction.net/category-743/astell-kern-ak-jr-carry-case.html

It was the cheapest option I could find that ships to Canada. Unless you can find one locally, of course.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #875 of 3,321
Hi guys, I'm having problem with the time /clock of my AK Jr. Every now and then it would go an hour or so behind the actual time although I have been adjusting the time pretty much every other day or so.

Searched this thread and don't think I'm the only one, has anyone has this problem and found a way to fix it? Thanks.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #876 of 3,321
Hi guys, I'm having problem with the time /clock of my AK Jr. Every now and then it would go an hour or so behind the actual time although I have been adjusting the time pretty much every other day or so.

Searched this thread and don't think I'm the only one, has anyone has this problem and found a way to fix it? Thanks.

That's indeed odd. Perhaps reload the firmware and see if it resolves the issue.

How do you like the Rockets with the JR btw?

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #877 of 3,321
Rockets pair pretty well with the AK Jr.as in it has no problem driving it. The mid and vocal still sounds as sweet as it should.

I somewhat prefer to pair the Jr. with IEMs with a more V-shape sound signature though but that's just me.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #878 of 3,321
  Rockets pair pretty well with the AK Jr.as in it has no problem driving it. The mid and vocal still sounds as sweet as it should.

I somewhat prefer to pair the Jr. with IEMs with a more V-shape sound signature though but that's just me.

I could definitely see that. I'm sure there's very good reason why everyone is raving about it with the Z5.

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #879 of 3,321
I had the chance to audition the jnr when I went and bought my asg2.5s.
What a great pairing they make.
I would have actually left with the jnr as well but I hadn't planned to buy a dap.
That being said the 2.5 sounded horrible with my note 4 so I bought an x3ii as a stop gap. Probably look at getting the jnr in the near future.

It is much smaller than I expected. The pictures I have seen around here would have you believe it's almost as big as an ak100ii, but in real life its tiny.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #880 of 3,321
  Hi Kimvictor or others expert, 

Do you think that we need to get the replacement by this issue ? 'cos I am worry that is only happened on some batch. Actually, do you find any solution yet ? 
Do you replicate the issue easily ? 'cos sometimes it works , sometimes it does not.

Thank you all.

I just turn it off. I may make a quick visit to iRiver if I have time and ask at their HQ. But I fix it by turning it off(force shut down). It is really annoying, and idk what triggers it.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #883 of 3,321
Ive had this for a week now and Im still very impressed with the sound! I did update to 1.02 which was very easy and i have no issues thus far. I also bought the black leather A&K case and it looks great.Still very happy with my purchase.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #884 of 3,321
I LOVE how this thing sounds. Love it. I dislike, even hate the quality of its screen, the time it takes to transfer files, its lack of real gapless, its idiotically sharp corners. ETC. But I love how, when you get it going, it sounds very good. I'm a big WM8740 fan. In many ways, I think it is THE AK DAP to pair with outboard amplification if necessary. It is largely more stable under line level voltages and it drives earphones and headphones well. 

Oh, and here are RMAA results of the AK Jr driving representative earphones and headphones. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #885 of 3,321
I LOVE how this thing sounds. Love it. I dislike, even hate the quality of its screen, the time it takes to transfer files, its lack of real gapless, its idiotically sharp corners. ETC. But I love how, when you get it going, it sounds very good. I'm a big WM8740 fan. In many ways, I think it is THE AK DAP to pair with outboard amplification if necessary. It is largely more stable under line level voltages and it drives earphones and headphones well. 

Oh, and here are RMAA results of the AK Jr driving representative earphones and headphones. 

I can agree on this. I would love to hear this with some amplification, but I returned my RX to fund this. Also, I almost wouldn't feel right compromising it's slim form! The 8740 is a personal favorite of mine as well, it just produces a weighty sound without being slow or muddy.

And it looks like my leather case got lost somewhere in the post office in Indiana. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back