Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #616 of 3,321
I'd have to say the Fiio X-3. Returned the unit due to cumbersome folder organization and dated UI.

The A&K is like a luxury car. You end up paying for the entire package; good or bad. I can see how it be described as plain. In this hobby that means transparency and sound that is uncolored and is viewed positively in some circles...:)

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #617 of 3,321
I'd have to say the Fiio X-3. Returned the unit due to cumbersome folder organization and dated UI.

The A&K is like a luxury car. You end up paying for the entire package; good or bad. I can see how it be described as plain. In this hobby that means transparency and sound that is uncolored and is viewed positively in some circles...:)
you mean the first gen Fiio X3?

Jun 28, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #619 of 3,321
Hi, I'm really in two minds, I want a new Hifi dap to use with my um pro 5.
Cowon Plenue M and Ak jr are my two choices. As I'd like to use it sometimes at home streaming via blietooth I'd really like to know whether the ask jr DOES stream music via Bluetooth or not. I've already read someone stating that ak jr use Bluetooth just for remote control (what does it means!?).
As I like a littl bit more the plenue m which doesn't have Bluetooth, if the ak jr cannot use its Bluetooth to stream music, than I'll know what to choose. :p
Then, can anyone with the ak jr ask this simple question? Does it stream music via Bluetooth ???

Thanks in advance

Jun 28, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #620 of 3,321
I just got an email from Analogue Seduction, they are receiving stock on the Jr cases within the next 10 days. Looks like most vendors will be getting stock in the next 2 weeks. I'll keep order since shipping wasn't bad and maybe I'll get some priority since I ordered early...

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #621 of 3,321
Cowon Plenue M and Ak jr are my two choices. As I'd like to use it sometimes at home streaming via blietooth I'd really like to know whether the ask jr DOES stream music via Bluetooth or not. I've already read someone stating that ak jr use Bluetooth just for remote control (what does it means!?).
As I like a littl bit more the plenue m which doesn't have Bluetooth, if the ak jr cannot use its Bluetooth to stream music, than I'll know what to choose. :p
Then, can anyone with the ak jr ask this simple question? Does it stream music via Bluetooth ???

Thanks in advance

As mentioned in the Noble appreciation thread, distance of AK models' bluetooth is comparatively short.

For the specification provided, Plenue M outclassed except for output impedance (PM=3 ohm, Jr.=2 ohm),

and the UI of the PM is much more smooth compared to the Jr. in current firmware I think.

If you have auditioned both of them with your own phones and didn't find any synergy problem, I think it would be safer to get the PM.

After all, they are not in the same price category. Just my two cents.

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #622 of 3,321

Thanks in advance
why not the Pono player?

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #624 of 3,321
As mentioned in the Noble appreciation thread, distance of AK models' bluetooth is comparatively short.

For the specification provided, Plenue M outclassed except for output impedance (PM=3 ohm, Jr.=2 ohm),

and the UI of the PM is much more smooth compared to the Jr. in current firmware I think.

If you have auditioned both of them with your own phones and didn't find any synergy problem, I think it would be safer to get the PM.

After all, they are not in the same price category. Just my two cents.

Thanks for your answer. To be honest I haven't tried yet neither of those two DAP. I'm just trying to choose one based on technical specs, features and various review and opinions found on the net. I just owned a iBasso DX90 which I found pretty good but I have to return it because of a problem with the phisical front buttons. I wanted something good with touch screen, nice design and ui and of course sounding pretty good. Bluetooth may be a nice plus. Where I live, plenue m costs just 130€ more than the ak jr. There's no big price difference like it may be in the U.S.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #625 of 3,321
why not the Pono player?

I didn't find many appreciation on the pond player. I cannot even expand the internal storage and this is a very negative point in my opinion. Moreover, is not so easy to buy where I live. :p

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #628 of 3,321
  Any impressions on the Jr. vs the Ak120 II? Really interested looking devices, but is the 120 worth almost double the price of the jr?

Actually, the Ak120ii is more than 3x the price of the Jr.
:)

CJ

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #629 of 3,321
the pono player has 64gb plus sd slot

That's right, my mistake. I've read too many review of too many dap. :p
Anyway, I can tell you for sure that I read too many negative review of the Pono player (battery, not so good audio quality, etc), more over it's not easy to have where I live.
I'd like to buy something via Amazon as I'm not able to try it before buying it. Thus I can easily send it back if I'm not satisfied. :wink:

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #630 of 3,321
This must be the best AK DAP (Value and aesthetic) so far. I was playing with this and the Fiio X5-II in my favorite audio shop yesterday. Can't believe I end up taking this home instead of the X5II.

For starters, the button layout is well placed and with the narrow and slim design makes controlling this device inside my pocket more friendly than X5ii. I was initially worried with the 2-ohm OI and the last time I heard the original AK120 it makes bass so thin and loose. Not on AK Jr. My Roxanne sound as tight and powerful on the low end as it is with other DAPs I have (had)

Even at 50% more expensive than the X5ii I think it worth the premium if you like the design. The internal storage is welcome as well as bluetooth support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back