Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
May 18, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #93 of 3,321
How come I can't find a sound review anywhere and do you guys think this jr sounds better then the dx90?

1. From what I'm reading here very few have actually heard the AK Jnr
2. Given 1., I think you'll be waiting a while for any sort of comparison but I passed on the Jnr when my dealer told me the DX90 was 'special order only'. Personally, I think it's disingenuous to advertise a product without any indication of stock levels, but it seems to be common practice in this industry. 

May 18, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #94 of 3,321

Not sure why you are comparing iBasso DX90 with the AK Jr, one is a mid-tier Toyota the other is the entry Mercedes.

Until you've heard both in a quiet setting for at least a week, do the aesthetics and the badge alone tell the whole story ? The car analogies only go so far - I'd prefer to read impressions from someone who's actually taken both for a spin  :wink:

May 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #97 of 3,321
Are they a legit company? Only 17 like on Facebook lol

I've never bought anything from them but I've seen people on Reddit post pictures of their gear and saying they bought from them. Also, they only have one shop as opposed to being a nation-wide company. And from what I can tell, they are a fairly new shop as the first posts on their social media pages start in June 2014, so I'm not surprised that they don't have a ton of likes on FB, not that it even means anything :p

May 18, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #98 of 3,321
Premium product does not compare with run of the mill solely on performance.  A Nissan GTR out guns a Ferrari but the later is still much desired over the previous.

Having played with both iBassos and AKs currently ranges extensively, really don't think the Jr (single DAC) being the entry, will out gun the DX90 (dual DAC) sound wise.  The Jr will definitely out perform the DX90 in terms of UI and storage capacity.

The premium design and built of the Astell & Kern Jr will hold itself much better than the DX90 being taken out of the pocket of an Armani suite and plugged into a Mercedes S class.

May 18, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #99 of 3,321
  Premium product does not compare with run of the mill solely on performance.  A Nissan GTR out guns a Ferrari but the later is still much desired over the previous.

tongue_smile.gif

May 19, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #103 of 3,321
Skip the boxer, otherwise I completely agree.  The new vet is really the new budget king, with the F being a bit overpriced.

May 19, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #104 of 3,321
Boxster, you mean. Do you compare Jr with Boxster? Looking like a Porsche but not quite under the hood.
Real Porsche is 911, real Hifi DAP is ...

Sorry, just kidding. Perhaps a bit frustrated because I'd like to hear about the SQ of that Jr. Just to know if what is under the hood is in par with the design.

May 19, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #105 of 3,321
No, I mean the boxer is moot compare to the rest of the list, and for boxer money you can get a S4/C63/M3 which will sure be more fun (I used to have a C63.)  Personally I fully expect the Jr will sounds close to the 120, but with less storage and improved UI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back