Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Mar 21, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #316 of 1,190
There must be something specific that triggers the defect, perhaps moisture? Vibration?

My experience: adjusting it too many times in the ear, pushing with different angles causes it to break. First two pairs broke during adjusting. Now I am on my third pair, settled with my preferred eartips and angles, and it doesnt break.

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #319 of 1,190
  I think in-ears must to be like iron, never break, because we handle a lot and it's very negative to have something so fragile.

These devices might be very sensitive but this is just outrageous. My EX1000 got into a washing machine and I didn't realize there's still water in it and I actually tried listening to it and found the sound like someone is being drowned there. I used rice to dry it up and it ran like nothing has happened. My IE800 got dropped a couple of times, got recabled twice for 2.5mm TRRS, still runs like a charm. This IEM died from what little force fingers on a person's hand can exert. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #320 of 1,190
These devices might be very sensitive but this is just outrageous. My EX1000 got into a washing machine and I didn't realize there's still water in it and I actually tried listening to it and found the sound like someone is being drowned there. I used rice to dry it up and it ran like nothing has happened. My IE800 got dropped a couple of times, got recabled twice for 2.5mm TRRS, still runs like a charm. This IEM died from what little force fingers on a person's hand can exert. 

Great post. People like to dump on EarPods but I actually love em. Had mine for 2 years now and they've literally went thru the ringer. I've fallen asleep with them on countless times only to wake up and find them wound all around my arm. I've dropped them CONSTANTLY on hard wood flooring. They've even gone thru a washer AND dryer cycle and came out working just fine. I'm gobsmacked that a $35 pair of earphones has demonstrated better build quality than pretty much any other pair of earphones I have ever used. Beyer and all the MMCX using companies seriously need to step it up. There is simply zero reason why a pair of highly priced earphones should ever fail within a year's worth of use when properly cared for.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #321 of 1,190
I bought mine only yesterday from Selfridges London, they told me they've had no returns so far. The serial number is with a 4...
Getting a seal is not easy (nothing JVC Spirals didn't sort out:) since monitors themselves are quite on the small side, not unlike IE800, but a very different over the ear fit.
I would say that unlike IE800 that need no fiddling, finding the right tips with T8 is most essential and my suspicion is that's prime reason the mmcx connector failing alongside putting them on with  pressure on the connector side,only handle them by the earpieces themselves. You need to find the tip size that would not sink inside too much , otherwise it gets uncomfortable and the connector gets a strain angle. Beyer's tips are supposed to be ergonomic, but i found them a little pain, theres no explanation which side to put them on, one being longer, but a little testing both sides finds the answer quick.
Once you find comfy fit, all your troubles are over and you can start enjoying an incredibly coherent, open, yet full sounding speaker with just the right amount of analytical and sweetness.
A more refined (less in your face) treble, wider soundstage , warm midbass rather than sub are main differences with IE800,  in latter everything is closer, more intimate, more V shaped perhaps with emphasis on both ends, whereas T8 sounds more breathing , quite forward with fab wide and layered bass and definitely less fatiguing treble, tho thats a matter of taste since i have never found the treble on IE800 a problem, but you do hear a noticeable difference in the way the Senn and Beyer approached the dynamic driver tuning. T8 are a most musical and easy to enjoy all genres from opera and classical to dirtiest of electronica.
If anything, both are terribly capable iems, but IE800 sounds a little less refined because of that forward, shhhh kind of a character in the treble that has been a part of a dynamic's tuning for a while. T8 is probably the first dynamic driver i have heard that bridges the gap with BA's by sounding whistle clean and precise , but with all the benefits of a speaker like bass and general sound. Now, that in my book is a great achievement and well worth the asking price since all the countless BA's ive tried have been good and bad in some respects, but none has been an ultimately convincing afair, from Layla's super high priced dark sounding attempt to A12's transparent, super detailed monster, plus countless expensive totl more, i have to say IMHO there's in no reason  to prefer a BA over Dynamic anymore and that is this Beyerdynamic T8iE here. Stunning!!!

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #323 of 1,190
Keep burning in. Still surprises to come …as long as they don't break.

Yes, its playing non stop. I don't really get how it breaks, seems good, cable is actually very high q, tho it looks cheap.
In any case, this is why i went to Selfridges, it breaks, i get a new one, tho i hope that doesn't happen..

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #324 of 1,190
Yeah as for the sound I would not complain, it is a better value proposition for me than IE800. It's noticeably less fatiguing with more meat to the sound while sacrificing a bit of excitement.

The local shops near me won't stock because their 2 demo units got broken in less than a month. My RMA process went smoothly but I need to send it to Singapore through my acquaintance which is something I don't really like doing so many times in the future.

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #325 of 1,190
i am really surprised there's been so many broken ones, what does happen exactly, does the sound start cutting off gradually or suddenly one side stops working, any indication for that?
What's different to SE846, not heard any complaints there, tho when i had emm id swap cable to the Ted Allen silver one and the mmcx connector was looser and would cut off sound, but again only occasionally. I dont understand what goes so wrong here with a made in germany product..i know its not what it used to be but..
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #326 of 1,190
I came from 846, and I don't think it's the MMCX at fault. Changing cables could solve MMCX problems in most cases. As for T8ie, it's always the unit itself got problems. The problem seems more of a design failure inside the unit. Some ppl in Chinese forum commented the wire inside is too thin. Anyways, I have contacted Beyer via FB two months ago and they said they are aware of it and working on it. Further ppl in Chinese forum report back that serial after 20xxx seem to do well. My recent one is 13xxx though.

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #327 of 1,190
I came from 846, and I don't think it's the MMCX at fault. Changing cables could solve MMCX problems in most cases. As for T8ie, it's always the unit itself got problems. The problem seems more of a design failure inside the unit. Some ppl in Chinese forum commented the wire inside is too thin. Anyways, I have contacted Beyer via FB two months ago and they said they are aware of it and working on it. Further ppl in Chinese forum report back that serial after 20xxx seem to do well. My recent one is 13xxx though.

Mine is also 13xxx, Ah come on!

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #328 of 1,190
Keep burning in. Still surprises to come …as long as they don't break.

Ironically, my right unit starts to disconnect today. I think it's gonna die. I took extra good care of this pair though. I have written an email to demand an answer from Beyer before I go to claim my FOURTH pair. What a shame, this pair is fully burned-in. I had enjoyed it so much.

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #329 of 1,190
No!!!!!!!! I can feel your frustration right now.  Especially when you have gone through three burn ins already. Sorry to hear that.

I hope my current third pair are OK.................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back