Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Mar 3, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #286 of 1,190
Not even 2 week in, the right housing MMCX is already dead, what a shame, it just started to burn it really well. The dread of MMCX connector, now I gotta stick with my old IE800 for awhile again I guess.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #287 of 1,190
Finally I have got time to play with a variety of tips.
There were Spinfit, JVC spiral dot, Monster gel, Monster foam, Comply, double flange, triple flange,
and loads of stock ear tips from other IEMs.

However, this collection of tips could not compete with T8ie's stock ones, for some are too mid-centric; some, too bassy or muffling details. The airiness the stock tips creates is something I cannot quit, which none of the above could offer.

It was the weirdest-looking ear tips, which I have abandoned for the longest of time, that won out in the end - The Sennheiser IE80's stock tips, Double Mould.

Ergonomically, these are the worst eartips ever created. You've got to have humongous ear canals.
Putting these large-sized frisbee tips in the ears could be excruciating, let alone that they have to be installed up side down to grasp the earphone, making themselves bigger. Luckily, my ears can still swallow the whole t8ie, and they feel comfortable for hours. There is no fit or sound leakage problem to me.

And now move on to its SQ.
I was immediately taken aback by how engaging my music had become again. It is because mid to high range is noticeably elevated. Vocal is way more focused, energetic and sweeter. Piano, cymbals, basically everything is brighter. Detail retrieval, on my, is brought to another level with these double mould tips. I just couldn't believe I hear more when I think T8ie with stock tips is already in the top-drawer. But don't get me wrong. T8ie is never an earphone that causes treble fatigue and it never will. T8ie can be listened with for long periods of time, but sometimes I deem it a bit bored. Now with this little elevation, it gives color to mids to highs, being much more fun to listen to. Lows are still adequate (I am a half trance head), and there is no more rumbling bass while, once in a while, it can be heard with stock tips. Overall, balance is well maintained with surprising musicality.

As I mentioned, I value the airiness that the stock tips provide, but the double mould tips is definitely a good contender, or winner, I would say.
Paying with dynamic drivers is playing with air and space, and this pair of tips disperses and distributes T8ie's powerful Tesla energy in a good way. 
Looking at its structure, you know there is large room for music to fill in, vertically and especially horizontally, and they isolate finely, allowing a tiny bit of vent. With them, it is more like listening to open-back headphones than with the stock tips. This combo has the ability to "sound-scape" every song I listen to. The experience is just psychedelic (yes, psychedelic) and fascinating, which I've never had with any other IEMs before.

I have put on this tips for a week now,
and still been enjoying the chills from music that I didn't have with T8ie + stock tips.   

Before you invest a good deal on the after-market cable, I strongly recommend trying Senn's tips first.
The change is very positive and noticeable. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #288 of 1,190
Not even 2 week in, the right housing MMCX is already dead, what a shame, it just started to burn it really well. The dread of MMCX connector, now I gotta stick with my old IE800 for awhile again I guess.

I've replaced it twice. Wanted to sell it, but I couldn't find another good pair of dynamic IEM. Choice is too limited. And what a shame on the QC. There have been many cases like ours mostly happening to right ear unit.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #290 of 1,190
I've replaced it twice. Wanted to sell it, but I couldn't find another good pair of dynamic IEM. Choice is too limited. And what a shame on the QC. There have been many cases like ours mostly happening to right ear unit.

No matter how hard I try to like multiple BAs or hybrid, I just keep coming back to single dynamic driver. I just don't understand why only big manufacturers use dynamic driver for their flagship IEMs but smaller or more boutique brand can only cram BAs.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #291 of 1,190

No matter how hard I try to like multiple BAs or hybrid, I just keep coming back to single dynamic driver. I just don't understand why only big manufacturers use dynamic driver for their flagship IEMs but smaller or more boutique brand can only cram BAs.

Easy answer: it's harder to make one driver do what 2-10 can.

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #292 of 1,190
After a long wait i received the Norne Therium series pure silver occ litz cable for the T8iE. In the meantime i used a Ted Headphone Lounge "The Reference" silver occ litz cable. Both cables are a great jump in resolution, detail and seperation for the T8iE. The orginal cable has a nice touch, soft and small but didn't do the earphones justice, it sound uninspiring like a overdone soft filter - even makes the bass sometimes muddy, thats sad for a TOTL earphone.

I used most often a AK240 with a Analog Squared Paper TR-07hp MK2 amp, i used some JVC Spiral Dot tips, the orginal tips a fine and the isolation is great but i loosed the fit to often. The JVC don't isolate as great but they give a better speration and bigger/exacter soundstage.

The two occ silver cable shares a lot of similairities, a gain in overall clarity, soundstage and 3d deep. they both don't sound harsh or aggressiv. it's realy nice to hear how good the T8iE scales up. For me this earphones share a lot similairites with the Fostex TH-900, the prominent bass, the nice mids and the great soundstage, the highs are a little bit less articulated then the TH-900. And like the Fostex TH-900 other headphones /IEM are technical more capable (but not a lot).

The two cables are like brothers, small difference exist. The Ted Headphone Lounge cable deliviers a tad more details and attack, the Norne Therium cable better soundstage and a more homogene presentation. Both cables a great and i wouldn't say one is the winner. For a very neutral source like the Chord Hugo go with the Therium, for a warmer DAC choose the Ted Headphone Lounge cable. I use the Norne cable because i prefer better soundstage and 3d deep instead details presentation. Also the Norne cable is softer and not as stiff like the Ted Headphone Lounge cable, sadly both are not as soft and flexible like the orginal cable.

Overall i think both cables are worth their prices, both are nicley made and i think they will have a long life.

The T8ie is for me worth the asked price, i would love to see a better cable and may some additional tips like the JVC ones. This earphone brings out the essential of the music for me, it's moods, feelings and story. In contrast to some other balanced armature TOTL IEM they let you forget the gear your using. i was impressed with the technical side of the K10 (more capable the the T8iE) and they looked gorgeous, fit was great but something was not right for me, maybe i simply not the guy for this multiple drivers IEM.

Thanx for recommending this cable, I like the T8iE a lot but I think the top end is slightly lacking, hope this silver cable will breathe new life to it...

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #295 of 1,190
I have been using the T8iE and KSE1500 exclusively for the past month. I find the two complement each other. I will one of these days cave and purchase a silver cable for it. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #296 of 1,190
Lucky you, since a while i'm locking for are top neutral and detailed iem like a portable sr009. Sadly
my custom k10 didn't light my soul and i let them go. I like the idea of the kse1500 and think no other
technique could go so far as eletrostats. But like the sr009 the amp for it is a match changer, i'm a bit
doubtfully with the amp for the kse1500, like to see one whitout dac or one from other companys.

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #297 of 1,190
Lucky you, since a while i'm locking for are top neutral and detailed iem like a portable sr009. Sadly
my custom k10 didn't light my soul and i let them go. I like the idea of the kse1500 and think no other
technique could go so far as eletrostats. But like the sr009 the amp for it is a match changer, i'm a bit
doubtfully with the amp for the kse1500, like to see one whitout dac or one from other companys.

I am not too crazy about the KSA1500 but for now it has to do. I admire how much better kse1500 gets with high end dac, scary to think it can get better. For now I will be more than happy with what I got and I will battle the endless "what if" that always wonder in my head. 

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #298 of 1,190
Bought these in December last year and the right ear kept dying on me every month.  It's my third replacements tomorrow.  What a nightmare.  It's a shame because they are great when they are working especially paired with AK380.  I think they know there is something wrong with the design (probably on the mmcx connector).  It has come to a stage they would give me a replacement without asking me anything wrong.  I heard once when I was at the dealer office they said "this is the third pair we replaced today"!!!

I think I'm gonna write directly to AK or Beyer to complain

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #300 of 1,190
Bought these in December last year and the right ear kept dying on me every month.  It's my third replacements tomorrow.  What a nightmare.  It's a shame because they are great when they are working especially paired with AK380.  I think they know there is something wrong with the design (probably on the mmcx connector).  It has come to a stage they would give me a replacement without asking me anything wrong.  I heard once when I was at the dealer office they said "this is the third pair we replaced today"!!!

I think I'm gonna write directly to AK or Beyer to complain
I did have the same with the AK10 Dac/ Amp, in the EU Beyerdynamic A200p, the third one was good but all in all it is a piece of **** for 300 Euro. Never again for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back