Astell&Kern AK380
Jul 12, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #8,731 of 9,041
PM sent. :)

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #8,732 of 9,041
Jul 13, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #8,734 of 9,041
I don't know your amp, so I don't have that answer. I will say that the base unit is quite nice, but it's kicked into dynamic overdrive when I use it wiht the amp too. That amp makes a big difference with all the IEm's and headphones I've used it with. I've used it with most of the top headphones out there as well as MANY top IEM's. I personally own the Empire Ears Phantom CIEM, Bravado IEM, Noble Savant IEM and have used it with the top Sure's, 64 Audio top IEMs to name a few. I like many things it does more than the SP 1000. I feel that it's just a warm and inviting unit. The stage is plenty wide and deep on my tracks and if it wasn't for that huge stage that the SP1000 has, no one would be complaining about the 380, lol. The cu version to MY ears is a totally different player than the other variants. It's got a much better tone up and down the spectrum and has a more organic presentation. Not audiophile terms, but emotional ones. I get emotion using it. If it doesn't sell, then I'll keep it and enjoy it.

Sorry, that's more of an answer than you were looking for. :).

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #8,735 of 9,041
Can Ak380cu reads SACD? I've tried but apparently the player could not find the files..

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #8,738 of 9,041
The 128GB SanDisk Ultra micro SDXC I card in my 3-year old AK380 is no longer readable. I've tried cleaning and re-inserting a few times but no good. It is also not readable in a multi-format card reader I have...

Do you know that SanDisk Ultra cards have a 10 Year warranty? You should get it replaced by SanDisk and save yourself some money. I have had a SanDisk Ultra go bad on me and SanDisk replaced it with no problems.

Ref: https://www.sandisk.com/about/legal/warranty/warranty-table

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #8,740 of 9,041
Hi folks,
Need some help here. My AK380 suddenly refuses to get charged after plugging in...

Is the charger (and/or the cable) the same one you have used before? Not all chargers or cables work the same.

If your 380 still turns on, plug in the charger and see if the battery icon changes to the lightning bolt symbol (or whatever it is). Then you will know the charger is legit, and the 380 is charging. It should charge while playing.

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #8,741 of 9,041
Is the charger (and/or the cable) the same one you have used before? Not all chargers or cables work the same.

If your 380 still turns on, plug in the charger and see if the battery icon changes to the lightning bolt symbol (or whatever it is). Then you will know the charger is legit, and the 380 is charging. It should charge while playing.

I have been using the same charger and cable for charging. Have been working all the while, but now the 380 body cannot be charged. The charger and the cable still can charge the 380 AMP.
Whenever I plug the charging cable to the 380, it shows an empty battery and the icon blink on and off every second or so.:disappointed:

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #8,743 of 9,041
Hello guys,May I join this thread? I haven't been back to head fi for long time since I have to travel so much. Most of my gears sat at home all head gears sold HD800 T1 Phillip Minutes head Amp only NAD headphone which I just got as a gift. Also home audio gears which packed inside the boxes some are on the shelf but unplugged. Most of my travelings are for work so I just have AirPods and iPhone for it's convenience since my last iem was shure 535 but sold. It's just recently I managed to unpacked things as moved to a new house. Got new pair of LS50 wireless connected with Sonore Microrendu and stream via internet use mac mini as a server, audioquest diamond ethernet between the two of kef and audioquest diamond usb from mr to ls50w. The sound is amazing but compare to my old set Vienna Acoustic grand mozart(modified mundorf gold), First Watts cloned amp parallel mono(modified caps mundorf), DAC lindemann(modified caps, caps output mundorf gold,linear power supply and transformer pre-amp minute this set sound better than ls50w set.

So get back to audio heaven again makes me tempt to find a portable gear. I'm now in Japan and was back again for sometime to follow you guys. I then went electronic shop and bought and DP-X1a+Sony wf1000x so thats I wish It would be greater than my iphone+airpod and yeah it is. I was like mmm just fine with this gears they were very very good actually but there was something wrong. I mean nothing wrong with dp-x1a and a sony wireless but something wrong with me. They could not satisfy my need. It's like listen to home budget hi-end gears at home. Then I came to head fi more and more and read through all comments and so on. Then I decided to upgrade. I then went to earphone shop in Osaka and tried SP1000, Sony Wm1z and AK380cu+Amp cu with several in ear monitor earphones (for ease of travel). I have been tried for several days and spent two or maybe three hours each try. Finally I got IE800 back to my hotel. It was very difficult to decide between IE800, Xelento, and SE846 but based on my liking which most of musics I listen to are jazz ,live, electronic, acoustic etc complicated instruments... all three are what I look for but the most airy and given the widest image of sound stage is IE800 and I think produce the most sweet sound too as it fit my ear canal with no problem somehow the other two can do some a bit better but based on my preference ie800 was what I chose at the end. I tried with all three dap and it was very difficult to choose one.

SP1000 sound really nice btw all three SP1000, WM1Z and AK380cu+Ampcu produce sound like hi-end home audio with IE800. the most expensive is SP1000 and actually I like WM1Z the most because I think it produces sound like analog and warm sound which suit to the music genres I like. But I use tidal a lot so no choice for sony then at the end I chose AK380cu+Ampcu because it's a lot cheaper than sp1000. But as I said If Sony has tidal I would just pick sony immediately as the cheapest among for it's value and quality it's like first choice so ak380 cu combo sound is between wm1z and sp1000 only downside of AK380cu+amp cu is the heavy of the two together in one combo plus heavy leather case. The sound all three for me is on par. I like tad warm lush and mid sound like life of ak380 combo but SP1000 is a little better on treble details punch speed. . I paid around 2,700 usd for AK380cu+amp cu, ie800, dignis case(this one is new but half of original price) all used but mint condition boxes and everything included one month warranty from the shop. The SP1000 mint second hand alone is around 3,000 usd n this shop.

This dap+amp is amazing and with ie800 now I can travel and can enjoy hi quality music everywhere like when I was at home. Nice to meet head fiers again.

Hi can you play tidal offeline ? I guess spotify isnt supported?

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #8,744 of 9,041
Do you know that SanDisk Ultra cards have a 10 Year warranty? You should get it replaced by SanDisk and save yourself some money. I have had a SanDisk Ultra go bad on me and SanDisk replaced it with no problems.

Ref: https://www.sandisk.com/about/legal/warranty/warranty-table
Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your post - been very busy. Yes, I had known about the warranty period but unfortunately I no longer have proof of purchase, which the replacement process seems to require. So I'm resigned to having to buy a new card, hence the request for recommendations on which one to buy.

Even if I could get a replacement, it would have the same 128GB capacity. I think I am now at the point where I need something with a larger capacity - 200GB or 256GB.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #8,745 of 9,041
I have been using the same charger and cable for charging. Have been working all the while, but now the 380 body cannot be charged. The charger and the cable still can charge the 380 AMP.
Whenever I plug the charging cable to the 380, it shows an empty battery and the icon blink on and off every second or so.:disappointed:

I remember this to happen to me with my Fiio X5 III (android as well), where he refused to accept any kind of charge... I did a full reset (data and setting) and it came back to normal.
Did you try it?

I am in the inverse situation as yours. My Ak320 is fine but it seems I cannot charge my AK-amp. Any advices?
The body of the amp does not get hot when charging. Though I am standing there and can see the blue LED of the amp shining... But I can't turn it on. It says "can't turn on the amp, charge it" and stays with the blue led on... What the hell is that?

Thanks!

Edit : Ok now I am in the same boat as you. Can't seem to charge the ak with the battery icon blinking ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back