Astell&Kern AK380
Nov 29, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #8,521 of 9,040
Intresting. Are you using the AKAMP with the 380?. How does the power and clarity compare to the sp1000

I own the amp, but I much more prefer my ALO CDM Tube Amp. The combo has more than enough power to drive any headphone. The AK380 sounds more powerful with it´s weighty, meaty low end, where the SP1000Cu is more resolving, though for me too digital sounding, now that I´ve listened to it for 2 months. The high resolution and clarity of the SP1000Cu was what got me at the beginning, but now that I´ve listened to my AK380 again, I tend to prefer the much more analogue sound signature of the latter, to the more sterile, clinical, analytical presentation of the former. No doubt, the Sp1000Cu is a beautiful dap, and is surely for most the way to the future, but I´ve grown up in the vinyl era, and I guess I´m beginning to realize, that the AK380 might be the end of the road for me when it comes to daps.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #8,524 of 9,040
Aren't all the aluminium models identical internally, unlike the CU or SS.
All of the AK380 models are the same internally. The sound differences between the aluminum versions and the copper or stainless steel have to do with the body materials used. Since the whole body is used for grounding and copper and stainless are better conductors, this changes the sound characteristic of the player. The Titan and Black aluminum versions are exactly the same, same internals, same tuning, just different coloring.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 29, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #8,525 of 9,040
All of the AK380 models are the same internally. The sound differences between the aluminum versions and the copper or stainless steel have to do with the body materials used. Since the whole body is used for grounding and copper and stainless are better conductors, this changes the sound characteristic of the player. The Titan and Black aluminum versions are exactly the same, same internals, same tuning, just different coloring.

Thanks for clarifying, I did wonder about this in the past.

From my experience, the black version has a meatier, warmer bass than the titan version.

From what Jason has said, the differences must be placebo if the black and titan are exactly the same asides from color.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #8,526 of 9,040
Thanks for clarifying, I did wonder about this in the past.

From what Jason has said, the differences must be placebo if the black and titan are exactly the same asides from color.

What does it matter, when I hear the difference. Placebo or not, I´d still go with the Dap which sounds better to me.....

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #8,527 of 9,040

The technical specifications of AK320 and AK380 are also identical - are there also the same components internally beside the Xmos chip for native DSD?

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #8,528 of 9,040
What does it matter, when I hear the difference. Placebo or not, I´d still go with the Dap which sounds better to me.....
Apart from the fact that the black version looks amazing

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #8,530 of 9,040
The technical specifications of AK320 and AK380 are also identical - are there also the same components internally beside the Xmos chip for native DSD?

Technical specifications aside, there are only few people who don´t hear the difference between the two players. For me, when it comes to SQ the step from the AK320 to the AK380 is even bigger than the step from AK300 to AK320. My 2 Cents.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #8,531 of 9,040

It matters if you're implying to other people (who might be considering buying the AK380 black or titan) that there are differences in bass or sound signature when none exists. I'd prefer the facts in this context. It's fine if you believe you're hearing a difference though.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #8,532 of 9,040
It matters if you're implying to other people (who might be considering buying the AK380 black or titan) that there are differences in bass or sound signature when none exists. I'd prefer the facts in this context. It's fine if you believe you're hearing a difference though.

What matters to me is what I hear, not what I read or the spec sheet alone. That´s why I´ve written about my experience. Yours may differ, but in order to know this, you first must make the experience.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #8,533 of 9,040
What matters to me is what I hear, not what I read or the spec sheet alone. That´s why I´ve written about my experience. Yours may differ, but in order to know this, you first must make the experience.

That may be true when comparing specs of models with different components but these are two identical models, unless there are some issues with their production and quality control.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #8,534 of 9,040
Technical specifications aside, there are only few people who don´t hear the difference between the two players. For me, when it comes to SQ the step from the AK320 to the AK380 is even bigger than the step from AK300 to AK320. My 2 Cents.

But hopefully you know that the sound difference is also based on the software implementation - the vendor have the choice to activate different digital filters and Phase-Locked Loop Timing.
Therefore you will definitely hear a difference in SQ - a lot of experienced people in the audio scene find the AK380 more coloured compared against the more natural sounding AK320.
So it depends on personal choice - but maybe it is not absolutely better but different

Users who are viewing this thread

Back