Astell&Kern AK380
Aug 6, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #6,151 of 9,041
The following lines from the first 2 amplify and explain. To me it feels more atmospheric and I feel enveloped by the music because there is more depth and width of soundstage and more layered.

The bass seems more taut. The mids appear to be more dense and nuanced. The trebles appear smooth.

That's all I will say at this very early stage. :) and it is with the Plus5.

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #6,152 of 9,041
FYI

It appears that AK has made the PRO EQ default again, whether one has the EQ on or off, it is set on PRO EQ.

To obtain a flat curve, one must turn on EQ and set a custom EQ at flat for no enhancements.......

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #6,153 of 9,041
Does anyone knows if AK publishes software changes with each FW release? This is standard practice in the software industry. If not I wish AK will do it instead of having customers guessing what changes are made with each new release? Or will they response if anyone ask AK? It shouldn't be a secret, should it? I also don't understand AK FW policy. It seems once you upgraded to the new FW they won't let you go back, or at least the older version is not available on their website. Other dap manufacturers like Ibasso will keep all versions on their website so you can choose which one to go back to.

Prior to accepting the OTA update they list the improvements(?) under each FW

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #6,154 of 9,041
only cu version got firmware 1.3? or HK AV show 2016 Aug 5-7 special upgrade edition , I saw 1.3 firmware.
mine 380 still 1.25

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #6,155 of 9,041
only cu version got firmware 1.3? or HK AV show 2016 Aug 5-7 special upgrade edition , I saw 1.3 firmware.
mine 380 still 1.25

Ah... You should have asked there and then. We are as clueless as you are about 1.3... Missed opportunity there... :frowning2:

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #6,156 of 9,041
Ah... You should have asked there and then. We are as clueless as you are about 1.3... Missed opportunity there...
frown.gif

yeah i tried one cu which is much powerful than mine. i thought someone probally got cu, if they had 1.3 already 
the one i tried, is hooked with Sonorous X directly with no amp. sound pretty amazing to me.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #6,157 of 9,041
Well I said I was going to stay with version 1.23. So I took the plung into 1.25version & wow! Much wider sound stage & more clarity & crisp highs! Bass hits harder and tight.Vocals are more right in your face! 3D like SQ. Plus I like that they made the home screen with the blocks much smaller. 1.25 I think now is the best of best! This is with my ak380 + ak380amp. Haven't said that I wish there was a way without using AK connect & use USB to my Oppo BDP-105 but Dosent work.
Mike

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #6,158 of 9,041
yeah i tried one cu which is much powerful than mine. i thought someone probally got cu, if they had 1.3 already 
the one i tried, is hooked with Sonorous X directly with no amp. sound pretty amazing to me.

Hahah! Can I tell you that while the X sounds amazing with the 380Cu and LPG, it is mind blowing off a desktop amp... There's a lot more body in the music and the soundstage opens up even more. :)

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #6,159 of 9,041
Does anyone knows if AK publishes software changes with each FW release? This is standard practice in the software industry. If not I wish AK will do it instead of having customers guessing what changes are made with each new release? Or will they response if anyone ask AK? It shouldn't be a secret, should it? I also don't understand AK FW policy. It seems once you upgraded to the new FW they won't let you go back, or at least the older version is not available on their website. Other dap manufacturers like Ibasso will keep all versions on their website so you can choose which one to go back to.

Hi Jalo, below are all changelogs since the release of the AK380: 

[1.25]
  1. USB Audio function added
  2. Balance output indication added
  3. Home Display New GUI applied
  4. Other operational stability improved

[1.24]
  1. Improved Operation Stability

[1.23]
  1. When transferring files between AK devices by using AK Connect, ‘Download Continue’ function is added
  2. AK Connect sleep mode option added
  3. User EQ setting UI modified and improved
  4. Other operational stability is improved

[1.19]
  1. AK RM01 (B/T Remote controller) Support
  2. Improved Operation Stability

[1.18]
  1. Intermittent DSD silence sympton is improved
  2. Improved Operation Stability

[1.17]
  1. DSD 256(11.2MHz) Supported
  2. AK CD-RIPPER Supported after connecting with AK380 AMP
  3. CUE sheet File Playback Supported
  4. APT-X Logo Display Supported
  5. Improved Operation Stability

[1.14]
  1. Improved AMP charging stability
  2. AK Ripper supported

[1.11]
  1. AK380 AMP supported
  2. Stability improved

[1.07]
  1. Bluetooth aptX supported
  2. EQ graph revised
  3. Stability improved

[1.03]
  1. Resolved the intermittent silence issue
  2. Revised special characters on the keyboard
  3. Stability Improvement

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #6,160 of 9,041
Prior to accepting the OTA update they list the improvements(?) under each FW

Have you tried the 1.25 yet? What do you think. If I see one more positive feedback, I am going to upgrade today :)

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #6,161 of 9,041
1.25: you can slide down the main menu to hide one row of icons to reduce redundancy, adds USB out so you are not confined to optical anymore, I don't see the balanced / unbalanced toggle anywhere though, don't know what's 'operational stability'.

Don't know why there are constant reports of sonic changes between firmwares, even the AK manager says there's none. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #6,162 of 9,041
Have you tried the 1.25 yet? What do you think. If I see one more positive feedback, I am going to upgrade today :)

James,

I like it a lot and prefer it over 1.23 and definitely 1.24.

However, please be reminded that the Pro EQ is being shoved down your throat.......as it is the default setting whether EQ is switched on or off. This happened before on the 120 iirc.

You will need to set up a custom EQ, where you leave it flat and EQ on...

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #6,163 of 9,041
@Prismstorm, very much appreciated for the FW log. Seems like the only change that may result in sound difference between releases is "Stability Improvement" as other changes are just operational changes. I wish AK will indicate if they retune the software for a different sound.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #6,164 of 9,041
James,

I like it a lot and prefer it over 1.23 and definitely 1.24.

However, please be reminded that the Pro EQ is being shoved down your throat.......as it is the default setting whether EQ is switched on or off. This happened before on the 120 iirc.

You will need to set up a custom EQ, where you leave it flat and EQ on...

When you say you like it a lot is it with the Pro EQ on or after you set up a custom setting to leave it flat.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #6,165 of 9,041
@Prismstorm, very much appreciated for the FW log. Seems like the only change that may result in sound difference between releases is "Stability Improvement" as other changes are just operational changes. I wish AK will indicate if they retune the software for a different sound.

I remember reading before on AK manager's Facebook timeline that someone commented on sound changes after an update, then the manager was like 'there shouldn't be any, let me relay this to the sound team to confirm'. Lol. A possible indication that it's all just placebo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back