Astell&Kern AK380
Aug 3, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #6,125 of 9,041
[COLOR=111111]I still learn English dude, I asked you are using this player with amplifier on the street or only at home?[/COLOR]

Street: AK380cu + AK380amp ---> Fitear 335

Home:
Tentative: AK380cu + Mojo or m9XX ---> HD800S
Soon: Rpi 3 + m9XX ---> HD800S or home sound system via the RCA

Looking for a nice transport for the mojo.

Thanks for clarifying.

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #6,126 of 9,041
Why on earth would you do that even?

I wasn't intending for AK380 + Amp -> Hugo. 

I was thinking more along the lines of AK380 (whilst connected to the Amp) + Hugo.

Because if I were to use the Amp when I'm on the go, it would be troublesome to keep removing the amp to connect to the Hugo everyday. It would probably loosen the leather casing also ! 

Just a quick idea, what about connecting to the Hugo via the Optical Link ? Is it possible to connect to the Hugo with the Amp attached to it if I'm using the Optical Link ?

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #6,127 of 9,041
I wasn't intending for AK380 + Amp -> Hugo. 

I was thinking more along the lines of AK380 (whilst connected to the Amp) + Hugo.

Because if I were to use the Amp when I'm on the go, it would be troublesome to keep removing the amp to connect to the Hugo everyday. It would probably loosen the leather casing also ! 

Just a quick idea, what about connecting to the Hugo via the Optical Link ? Is it possible to connect to the Hugo with the Amp attached to it if I'm using the Optical Link ?

You do not need to remove the amp when connect through optical. Optical output goes from the 3.5mm single ended port from player which is at the top.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #6,128 of 9,041
You do not need to remove the amp when connect through optical. Optical output goes from the 3.5mm single ended port from player which is at the top.

Cool, so that would mean I need to invest in an optical cable solution probably.

Hmm. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #6,129 of 9,041
  hi guys,
i've never seen them both in person, but which case quality is actually a better made, Aesopica or Dignis (for ak380+amp), pls help me to decide.

Thanks.

They're both very good.  I find the Aesopica is made with better leather and the stitching more durable, and the Dignis is sleeker and the heat dissipation design superior to the holes in the bottom of the Aesopica.  I like them both, but the Dignis is the one I have on my unit.  

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #6,130 of 9,041
mmm......I have not had a chance to try the Dignis 380/amp case but the Aesopica is excellently made. It can be customized, build-time is 2 weeks, materials used is top-notch  and Mr. Park communicates in English. Highly recommended vendor for leather cases.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #6,131 of 9,041
Aug 4, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #6,132 of 9,041
If you are able to comment on the RW mod on the 380 I would be very interested. Do you notice any changes? If so what are the changes? I also have the therium and liked it a lot. Thanks for the review.

There is definitely a difference with the RW mod on the AK380 the sound is definitely more natural sounding then the original AK380 with the highs clearer and the bass sounding much cleaner. 
From my recollection there have been several people that have commented more or less the same on this mod.

If you are using just IEMs then the RWAK380 is more than enough, if you are using full size cans then definitely having both the AK380 and AKAMP modded is well worth it. I use to have both but the combo was just too powerful for the EE Zeus R.

I was going to sell both the RWAK380 and RWAKAMP and get the copper version of the AK380, after talking to Vinnie he said it's not worth the extra money. He has modded both units and said inside they are identical in every way. With the same SW he mentioned in a blind test you would hear no difference.

So I sold the amp and have been very happy with the standard AK380 with the Red Wine Audio mod
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #6,133 of 9,041
@Apina, thanks for the feedback. I recently did the RW mod for my AK240ss and did not like the new sq. I thought the sq became warmer after the mod and I felt I lost the cleaner feel of the 240ss. I was going to mod my 380cu after my 240ss but became hesitated because of the change with my 240ss mod. I really liked the openness and airy feeling of my 380cu now and worry the the mod will change that. I agree the 380 alone is sufficient for most iems.

Aug 4, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #6,134 of 9,041
@Apina, thanks for the feedback. I recently did the RW mod for my AK240ss and did not like the new sq. I thought the sq became warmer after the mod and I felt I lost the cleaner feel of the 240ss. I was going to mod my 380cu after my 240ss but became hesitated because of the change with my 240ss mod. I really liked the openness and airy feeling of my 380cu now and worry the the mod will change that. I agree the 380 alone is sufficient for most iems.

In the past I use to also have the RWAK240 standard version and I preferred the sound that the mod brought with it. 
If you did not like the mod on the 240SS then maybe you should try to listen to the RWAK380 before getting the 380 cu modded.

One thing I noticed was with the latest upgrade on the 380 when using the EE Zeus R the bass and highs actually sound better. 

I would also say the IEMs/headphones and cables used also affect the sound that you hear from the DAP and many a person has spent many a dollars on a system that does not get the most out of an expensive player. For me the Zeus R make a great partner for the RWAK380 and I have been through a lot of different IEMs to find this out 
blink.gif

Final point is everybody prefers a different sound signature what sounds good to me may not sound good to your ear so without hearing something it's hard to make a pre judgement from just reading peoples feedback online.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #6,135 of 9,041

I was going to sell both the RWAK380 and RWAKAMP and get the copper version of the AK380, after talking to Vinnie he said it's not worth the extra money. He has modded both units and said inside they are identical in every way. With the same SW he mentioned in a blind test you would hear no difference.

I am please that someone of Vinnie's experience has justified my own choice - I listened extensively to both the 380 and 380 copper before buying the 'original' 380 as I could hear not the slightest difference between them. Worried at the time that my hearing was going :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back