Astell&Kern AK380
Aug 8, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #6,181 of 9,041
  FYI

It appears that AK has made the PRO EQ default again, whether one has the EQ on or off, it is set on PRO EQ.

To obtain a flat curve, one must turn on EQ and set a custom EQ at flat for no enhancements.......

Are you saying there is a rather large bug here? On the pull down tool bar, you can switch Pro EQ on or off and the word PRO appears at the top of the screen. Are you saying it is stuck on permanently even if PRO is not displayed? That's ridiculous if true. Could you explain how you ascertained this?

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #6,182 of 9,041
  Sorry, jonstatt, I didn't mean to denigrate anyone else's opinion (although, re-reading my somewhat hasty post I can see how it might come across like that), so my apologies. I was just happy that someone who's opinion's I sort of have to respect (the guy mods them for goodness sake) seemed to agree with my impressions. And happy that it wasn't down to my 'lack' of hearing.

Absolutely no apology needed. It is good to have a mix of opinions. That's the great thing about forums like this. I only commented because I noticed the differences that I heard seemed to be dependent on the IEM in use. So I just wanted to throw that into the mix. It is also why I hold the belief that if there is a difference between copper and other materials, that it is affecting the analogue circuits, and if it is, then this is more by accident than by intention, and furthermore suggests a weakness in the design.

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #6,183 of 9,041
Are you saying there is a rather large bug here? On the pull down tool bar, you can switch Pro EQ on or off and the word PRO appears at the top of the screen. Are you saying it is stuck on permanently even if PRO is not displayed? That's ridiculous if true. Could you explain how you ascertained this?

Well, one can hear there's no difference sonically when switched on or off...

Plus it's rather artificial sounding in all accounts with Pro EQ on.

It happened before as I mentioned in an earlier post on the AK120(iirc).

Try set a custom eq that's set flat, listen and you'll get what I mean.

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #6,184 of 9,041
Well, one can hear there's no difference sonically when switched on or off...

Plus it's rather artificial sounding in all accounts with Pro EQ on.

It happened before as I mentioned in an earlier post on the AK120(iirc).

Try set a custom eq that's set flat, listen and you'll get what I mean.

Thanks for clarifying. Did you by chance report this to A&K?

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #6,185 of 9,041
Thanks for clarifying. Did you by chance report this to A&K?

No, they will probably rectify it on the next FW update....

Irrespective, fw1.25 with Eq. on with a flat curve sounds very, very good especially with DSD and DXD files.

I'm just enjoying the sonics :)

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #6,187 of 9,041
No, they will probably rectify it on the next FW update....

Irrespective, fw1.25 with Eq. on with a flat curve sounds very, very good especially with DSD and DXD files.

I'm just enjoying the sonics :)

Totally agreed with you. I am enjoying the sonic of the 1.25 also. Thanks for showing me the EQ.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #6,188 of 9,041
1 month now i sent my AK380 for RMA to AK (germany)for replacement and up to now don't received the new DAP.
is that normal ? i think no. i have sent them emails to request for news and approximative return date : non response.

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #6,189 of 9,041
The AK 320 and 380 have a big design flaw with the EQ. The didn't manage the DSP right. They use very narrow Q ranges for the correction. So it is not possible to form a smooth curve.
I started an RMA because I thought mine was defect, the new and other models do it the same way so ... AK comment ... works as designed. Also with the actual FW version. With my measurements I find also out that the FW 1.23 hat the bug that EQ activates sometimes only after adjusting a parameter. Also that AK doesn't tune anything by EQ, I think they change some filterings.

Here where some of my testresults.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #6,190 of 9,041
Anyone ever have the AK380 stop playing after a message 'long periods of music playback may cause the device to get hot', or something very similar to that?  I had 32 songs queued up, the first 10 of which were the sample files that come installed on the device.  After about 5 songs had played, I got the notification message, and then, although the progress bar would progress through the songs, there was no sound being produced.  I was able to shut the device down, and after a few minutes, functions returned to normal.

The AK380/amp was in the Dignis case at the time.

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #6,191 of 9,041
  Anyone ever have the AK380 stop playing after a message 'long periods of music playback may cause the device to get hot', or something very similar to that?  I had 32 songs queued up, the first 10 of which were the sample files that come installed on the device.  After about 5 songs had played, I got the notification message, and then, although the progress bar would progress through the songs, there was no sound being produced.  I was able to shut the device down, and after a few minutes, functions returned to normal.

The AK380/amp was in the Dignis case at the time.

Hi Jazzi. Yes I get exactly the same thing happen when playing those files. This is with the amp attached and open to the air (no case).

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #6,192 of 9,041
  Hi Jazzi. Yes I get exactly the same thing happen when playing those files. This is with the amp attached and open to the air (no case).

Ahh, so it's the files! Wow, so they include sample files that stresses their player out to the point it crashes.  Interesting marketing idea.

Thanks @TaylorDawe.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #6,195 of 9,041

Some of the sample files are 24bit FLAC, and some are DSD.

Played these files again last night (the sample files that are already on the 380 at time of purchase) and although the player and amp got hot, and I got the message about the heat, the player didn't crash and continued to play ok. Whether this is because the amp and 380 are now burned in (I played these when I first got the player and haven't done so since because of the problems you mentioned), or because of the recent firmware update, I don't know. I'll try them on repeat later when I have time and see if it crashes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back