Astell&Kern AK380
Apr 2, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #4,396 of 9,041
hello everyone, if i want to connect the ak380 to another amp is it advised to set my ak380 to line out?

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #4,397 of 9,041
  hello everyone, if i want to connect the ak380 to another amp is it advised to set my ak380 to line out?

Hi mate....

My usual preference using another third party amp with the 380 would be to use the volume pot on the 380.

Maximum volume on the amp so you take out the resistors of the volume pot, and use it like a power amp rather than integrated.

WARNING:

Please be careful on volume, and always remember to start player and turn volume to ZERO, Don't want you to blow your ears which I have had happen to me before....

Three weeks to heal, no music and a $350 medical bill........

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #4,398 of 9,041

I am a huge fan of AQ Diamond myself, used them off my computer connected to HD and USB Dacs etc..they take over 1000 hours to really sound their best though which is a bummer.

Should add it completes the sonics of the Aurender Flow...

mmm....I should try that with my Aurender.......price check..................never mind. lol!

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #4,399 of 9,041

Hi mate....

My usual preference using another third party amp with the 380 would be to use the volume pot on the 380.

Maximum volume on the amp so you take out the resistors of the volume pot, and use it like a power amp rather than integrated.

WARNING:

Please be careful on volume, and always remember to start player and turn volume to ZERO, Don't want you to blow your ears which I have had happen to me before....

Three weeks to heal, no music and a $350 medical bill........

thanks i always thought that it was the other way around, and thats why there is a line out

but good to know form someone experienced

i actually tried your advice now, i connected my ak380 to headstage arrow 5tx which has a great bass, so i set my ak380 to line out and i have this bass heavy song, and on my 64audio adel u12 i noticed there is clipping when i set the ak380 to line out, now after i followed ur advise above there is no clipping in the bass. thanks for the advise.

can u explain to me again why that is the preferred method in a bit more detail 

its just amazing how much difference is in power between when i connect my ak380 to a headstage arrow 5tx and stock ak380 amp, its a huge huge huge difference in bliss of joy listening to music when connecting the ak380 to another amp, especially when you consider how tiny the headstage arrow is compared to the bulky heavy ak380 amp, that in my opinion is simply so underpowered.

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #4,400 of 9,041

The original packaging came with 3 screen protectors, have you used them all?

I have a spare if you require. Let me know?

I only got 2 for the LCD screen, one was defective right out of the box, the other one was used on my old housing, the other screens are for the carbon fiber back ... so far I haven't gotten a scratch, and having no screen protector prevents dust from gathering around where the edges of the protector and the screen meets .... 

I went with your recommendation for Quiet Winter Nights in 24/352.8 and the download took forever as the 'Download All' didn't work and I had to download all 15 tracks piecemeal lol, the album is well over 4GB, I'll move on to your other recommendations soon enough :) 

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #4,401 of 9,041
  I only got 2 for the LCD screen, one was defective right out of the box, the other one was used on my old housing, the other screens are for the carbon fiber back ... so far I haven't gotten a scratch, and having no screen protector prevents dust from gathering around where the edges of the protector and the screen meets .... 

I went with your recommendation for Quiet Winter Nights in 24/352.8 and the download took forever as the 'Download All' didn't work and I had to download all 15 tracks piecemeal lol, the album is well over 4GB, I'll move on to your other recommendations soon enough :) 

Seriously nice album to chill out to, especially in DXD that you have downloaded.....

There is a bell in in the first track at 2.32 that sounds exactly like the notification I used to use for messages and to this day I still pick up my phone to check messages............

biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #4,402 of 9,041
  thanks i always thought that it was the other way around, and thats why there is a line out

i actually tried your advice now, i connected my ak380 to headstage arrow 5tx which has a great bass, so i set my ak380 to line out and i have this bass heavy song, and on my 64audio adel u12 i noticed there is clipping when i set the ak380 to line out, now after i followed ur advise above there is no clipping in the bass. thanks for the advise.

Hi mate....

To go into more detail...

You are now using the 380 like a preamp for control of source which is on board....and the amplifier as a power amp where all resistance/resistors are taken out of the signal. Resistors are used to attenuate the volume. Hence, volume pots such as Alps tend to be expensive parts as they interfere less with sonics..

Of note AK players generally have a good clean line out be it to head phones or as true line out.

However, you notice clipping as many portable amps will have their inputs overloaded by a true 2.3 Vrms out which I believe the AK380 is ...... 

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #4,403 of 9,041

To go into more detail...

You are now using the 380 like a preamp for control of source which is on board....and the amplifier as a power amp where all resistance/resistors are taken out of the signal. Resistors are used to attenuate the volume. Hence, volume pots such as Alps tend to be expensive parts as they interfere less with sonics..

Of note AK players generally have a good clean line out be it to head phones or as true line out.

However, you notice clipping as many portable amps will have their inputs overloaded by a true 2.3 Vrms out which I believe the AK380 is ...... 

thanks so much for your detailed answer

can i ask another question, do u think battery life will be more when connecting the ak380 to a third party amp, than connecting it to ak380 amp

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #4,405 of 9,041

its just amazing how much difference is in power between when i connect my ak380 to a headstage arrow 5tx and stock ak380 amp, its a huge huge huge difference in bliss of joy listening to music when connecting the ak380 to another amp, especially when you consider how tiny the headstage arrow is compared to the bulky heavy ak380 amp, that in my opinion is simply so underpowered.

I know exactly what you mean about the amp.  Just as a goof I connected my AK380 to the ALO Rx, and the sound was fantastic.  I think I suggested earlier that AK hire Ken at ALO to design their next amp, and of course, Vinnie works with Ken.  Can't do much better than those two.

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #4,406 of 9,041

I know exactly what you mean about the amp.  Just as a goof I connected my AK380 to the ALO Rx, and the sound was fantastic.  I think I suggested earlier that AK hire Ken at ALO to design their next amp, and of course, Vinnie works with Ken.  Can do much better than those two.

that would be a dream if ken from alo makes an amp for ak380, as i own the alo rx mk3 which is one of my all time fav amps for headphones

but i guess that this is just wishful dreaming

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #4,409 of 9,041
  mmm.....yeah, I can also vouch for Crystal Cable interconnects and cables. They are tough, little buggers. No intermittent signal ever. No discolouration. And they are beautiful.

They are definitely on the sweet sounding side of neutral...slight colouration in the lower highs..and adds some bloominess to the bass.

But sweet for a change is nice!!!

ksc75smile.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #4,410 of 9,041
  mmm.....yeah, I can also vouch for Crystal Cable interconnects and cables. They are tough, little buggers. No intermittent signal ever. No discolouration. And they are beautiful.

I'm sure they're great cables, but the prices are ... just, wow!  The one on the AK website, I think, is over $800 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back