Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 31, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #4,306 of 9,040
  ...rrr that's hard core.  I rather take mine with bacon and sausage.

Well like I said prior, and thanks to @raypin and his polishing!!

I do have a brand new, unopened, and sealed AK380Cu and Cu amp just in case I want shiny........

It's really goes to show how much I like the sonics of the pairing..............It is so good and suited to my tastes that I think it will be hard I'll find anything else that isn't just a side grade for the next 2-3-4 years.

Just hedging my bets!!!

bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #4,307 of 9,040
So you are now 2 of 500 instead of 1 of 500 like us regular Joes :).  To be honest I was quite surprised that AK didn't put the protection film on the Cu like they did with the regular version, and let's hope this egg thing works out for you, as the air quality over in Hong Kong is so much worse compare to the states.

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #4,309 of 9,040

wink_face.gif

OKOK...here's the recipe

You need two Tupaware containers. A large and small. The small is used as a platform inside the large where the unit will eventually rest to avoid contact with eggs.

Three to four eggs

A 380Cu & Cu amp

Instructions:-

Boil the eggs for ten minutes so they are hard boiled 

Whist the eggs are boiling, use alcohol to clean the AK pair to remove grease and dirt

Once the eggs are hard boiled and still hot, crush them up and put in Tupaware container. now put in smaller container

Place CU in face down on the platform created by the smaller container

Close lid

After about 10 minutes wipe condensation off unit otherwise will have water stains all over 

Leave for 3-4 hours but monitor and wipe excess condensation off unit

Unit should have darkened

Take out and wipe clean, then blow dry all sockets

Clean again with alcohol

Leave overnight to air dry

Blow dry sockets again

Sulphur released from the eggs helps accelerate tarnish on copper, and hence patina created

But I think I like it like this   
blink.gif
confused_face_2.gif

I own a roofing company, we are sometimes are asked how to accelerate the formation of a patina on a copper roof. There are all sorts of recommendations on how to do this. My favourite is coat the copper in mare's urine. I have not tried it but I thought sharing this recipe would be helpful! :)

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #4,310 of 9,040
  So you are now 2 of 500 instead of 1 of 500 like us regular Joes :).  To be honest I was quite surprised that AK didn't put the protection film on the Cu like they did with the regular version, and let's hope this egg thing works out for you, as the air quality over in Hong Kong is so much worse compare to the states.

Well if the copper case does effectively act like a ground box, then it is pointless to seal or use a protection film...also some demo units that are wrapped up in clingfilm negates this property too, and hence some people who demo hear no difference at dealers, imho.

I thought you said scrotum . . . . .  :)

I was but tongue in cheek...........loved the names that the Japanese comes up with!

bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #4,311 of 9,040
Well I was thinking that it might help to protect the unit from skin oil a little.

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #4,312 of 9,040

Well if the copper case does effectively act like a ground box, then it is pointless to seal or use a protection film...also some demo units that are wrapped up in clingfilm negates this property too, and hence some people who demo hear no difference at dealers, imho.

I was but tongue in cheek...........loved the names that the Japanese comes up with!

bigsmile_face.gif

When I was on a trip in Japan a few years ago, my tour guide once asked me if I would like to inspect "the backside" of a tourist attraction!

:)

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,313 of 9,040
  When I was on a trip in Japan a few years ago, my tour guide once asked me if I would like to inspect "the backside" of a tourist attraction!

I think "The Far Side" will be better. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #4,314 of 9,040
  Well I was thinking that it might help to protect the unit from skin oil a little.

Use pure alcohol from Pharmacy...and also clean contacts with it, actually the plugs too.....

Wonderful, and then a bow to follow......
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #4,317 of 9,040

@Apina @speedracer1 

Just an update, I have picked back up my RWAK380. The partial short circuit has indeed been fixed and there's no problems with the buzzing / noise floor / clipping / distortion or unusual battery drain anymore. 

However, the sound was not what I expected. In the 1.5 days that I had the RWAK380 before I sent it back for repair, I heard a dynamic, powerful sound with brutal, slaughtering bass and incredibly forward mids, made everything super immersive despite all the noise and battery issues. Having picked up the repaired unit for 2 days now and having tried 2 - 3 earphones out of it, I'm not warming up to it .... Maybe it's too early to tell and I need to settle in to the sound, but I do not detect the stated improvements and it sounds quite stale and dull as of now. It is almost a total opposite of what I heard the first time, too laid-back and emotionally detached. It is very ironic that the sound was so much better when the short circuit was in place, and now that it's fixed and everything's supposed to be seamless, the sound is not moving me. 

I did try the RWAK380 out of my unmodded 380 Amp also, and the improvements were more apparent than with the DAP alone. It is stated that RWAK380's sonic improvements are also paseds along to the 4-pin BAL line out jack on the bottom of the player, and I'm guessing this is why the RWAK380 + stock 380 amp combo sounds better than before (Unmodded AK380 + amp)? With the Layla this is easily observable, the audio is clearer and much more powerful with the amp even on low gain. The high gain is somewhat overly powerful and some delicacy and soft details are lost, sibilance is also augmented to borderline unberable levels. 

What am I doing wrong here? Are my iems a mismatch now that the 380 has been modded? 

@onlychild I'm looking forward to your impressions too once your modded units are back! 

What is 'It took around 50 hrs before the sound started to sort itself out and I left it for 100hrs as Vinnie suggested before putting some serious listeing time on it'? 

Did your unit also suffered from a partial short circuit? Or are your referring to some sort of 50 - 100 hrs burn in advised by Vinnie? Vinnie told me no damage was done to the internal components, that everything appeared to be fine, and did not stipulate any burn-in or waiting period to me so I"m confused. 

Hi prismstorm,

I’m so sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the sound of your modified RWAK unit.  Let me share my experience with you regarding the conversion and provide some direction.

When I first received my RWAK380 and RWAK amp from Vinnie he recommended that I rack up 100 hours of time to allow for the newly added electronics in both the DAC and amp to stabilize and mature.  Most of the new circuity Vinnie adds are capacitors and they must go thru 1000's of duty cycles of supply and recharging to operate efficiently and provide full output power.  The capacitors without question changed the stock AK sound signature for the better.  You can think of capacitors (in the digital world) similar to tubes (in the analog world) as they shape sound and if done correctly enhance it!  

Although I clearly followed Vinnie's recommendation regarding the 100 hours of break-in, I was honestly so darn excited when I got my unit back that I had to listen to a few test tracks the very first night to get an idea of what had changed.  From the moment I began listening to those test tracks I was absolutely floored by the improvement in the sound signature.  As I continued to burn-in both units using either the JH Layla's, HE-1000’s or the Shure KSE1500's the sound signature continue to improve with regard to richness, authority and dynamics.  At the end of the 100 hour break-in period the player became more, cohesive, more fluid and any harshness was replaced with warmth and a beautiful richer fuller sound.

Recently I decided to purchase a second brand new stock AK380 amp as I figured I would have one amp at my job for backup purposes and keep the RWAK amp with me as I traveled back and forth.  By doing so it put me in an unusual position to again compare side-by-side the RWAK amp against the stock amp and not simply rely on my music memory but direct A/B comparison. This just help re-enforce my comments above with respect to the new and improved sound signature and I returned the brand new stock amp yesterday even though it was great to have the difference between stock and modified was just too great.

Although I use the RWAK380 balanced and unbalanced amps I honestly prefer to use the external amp’s unbalanced 3.5 mm with the Shure KSE1500’s and use the balanced 2.5 mm external amp connection with the JH Layla’s as I love the warmth of the sound signature the external amp adds.

Both my amp and AK 380 units in stock form was cosmetically in perfect condition and in perfect working order.  When I received the units back from Vinnie they were received in perfect cosmetic and functional working order.  Thank goodness no shorts or any other problems.  The units sound and operate perfectly and I’ve upgraded FW from 1.11 originally to 1.23 without any problems or issue.

As recommended by our good friend Apina I would continue to break-in the units, don’t change the FW release as this is the sound signature your familiar use your Layla’s as they work beautifully with your set-up and as mentioned please contact Vinnie and describe what your hearing as I’m sure he will have recommendations and maybe able to explain what your experiencing.

And as always I’m here to help you in any way I can.

Sincerely,

Your friend in audio,

-Speed

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #4,318 of 9,040

I have the two Dignis, one in each colour preordered for my 380 and amp, never knew it was limited edition.

Irrespective, the Aesopica looks lovely. The leather looks absolutely gorgeous and I love the bespoke service with regards to colour choices. I will probably buy one in Orange, my favorite and to match my pet project ..... 
ksc75smile.gif

Albeit, still deliberating in my mind as to whether to go ahead...bespoke individual service by Blacken, Germany 

I agree the Aesopica is lovely, but after more thought, I think the decision to vent the back on the Dignis has won the design portion of the contest.  I'm going Dignis.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #4,320 of 9,040

I have the two Dignis, one in each colour preordered for my 380 and amp, never knew it was limited edition.

Irrespective, the Aesopica looks lovely. The leather looks absolutely gorgeous and I love the bespoke service with regards to colour choices. I will probably buy one in Orange, my favorite and to match my pet project ..... 
ksc75smile.gif

Albeit, still deliberating in my mind as to whether to go ahead...bespoke individual service by Blacken, Germany 

Do it!  I have a Rolex Submariner 14060.  It doesn't make any sense, but I hardly ever wear it to ensure it doesn't get damaged.  I love watches, but I'm not going to contribute further to going off topic. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back