Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 18, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #4,038 of 9,040
I am not sure as to whether AK is in control of the sonics whenever they make FW updates as there has been really good sounding ones and then there has been ones which were disastrous, throughout my ownership of their players.

However, I must say that this latest FW using the 380Cu in conjunction with the Cu amp sounds sublime to my ears....

why not ask them if they re-tune their devices in software updates, but i expect they won't disclose any info about that

but i still like my ak380 

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #4,040 of 9,040
  why not ask them if they re-tune their devices in software updates, but i expect they won't disclose any info about that

but i still like my ak380 

That has already been asked and answered at a AK gathering - change in SQ is not intentional as they do not tune it, but they acknowledge that somehow SQ changes in different versions.

I do prefer 1.24 but I will downgrade to 1.23 later to do another comparison for confirming my preference.

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #4,041 of 9,040
  I ran the RWAK380 down to 1% and am now recharging it back to full to calibrate the battery indicator in case it was a software glitch.

Will be testing the DAP with iems for one more day tomorrow to gather more observations, but will most likely send it back at the end of the day.

Thanks for the info!

Hi Prismstorm, 

How is the RWAK380 doing for you now? 

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #4,042 of 9,040
Just downgraded to 1.23 and compared the few selected songs I listened to right before downgrading. I recall when I upgraded from 1.19 to 1.23, I was wow'ed by the SQ of 1.23; after listening to 1.24 for two days and now listen to 1.23 again, I can't believe I got wow'ed again - 1.23 is just that good! I kind of got distracted by the tighter bass of 1.24 but now listening to 1.23 again, latter one obviously got a crisper and more vivid SQ, while comparatively 1.24's is damp. Makes me wonder if AK380 peaks at 1.23.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #4,043 of 9,040
  Just downgraded to 1.23 and compared the few selected songs I listened to right before downgrading. I recall when I upgraded from 1.19 to 1.23, I was wow'ed by the SQ of 1.23; after listening to 1.24 for two days and now listen to 1.23 again, I can't believe I got wow'ed again - 1.23 is just that good! I kind of got distracted by the tighter bass of 1.24 but now listening to 1.23 again, latter one obviously got a crisper and more vivid SQ, while comparatively 1.24's is damp. Makes me wonder if AK380 peaks at 1.23.

Do you have a physical file of the FW1.23?

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #4,044 of 9,040
how can I downgrade it back to 1.23? Thanks in advance
Mike

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #4,046 of 9,040

Yes I got the file, which allows you downgrading it yourself. I was asked not to share so unfortunately I cannot post it here.

No worries, thanks for explaining

beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #4,048 of 9,040
good day head-fiers, i need an explanation on a DAP playing music "natively"? correct me if i am wrong, does the AK380 plays all music 16/44 natively or whatever downloaded format it was taken from original source example dsd,16/48,24/192 and so on. does the AK380 play all it's music in no less form of 16/44? 

Mar 18, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #4,049 of 9,040
i know this is not related to ak380, but i have been enjoying listening to mark knopfler and dire straits on my daps and u12, and my new asg 2.5

i just started liking that style of music especially dire straits songs like why worry, and brother in arms, it just makes me dive into another world

are there more bands like this, i know rorger waters might come close, but are more bands that provide such melancholy and amazing voice

definietly mark's voice and guitar playing is simply out of this world

the recording quality is simply so amazing, unlike what gets thrown out to us these days

google search for similar artists did not help alot

its so nice to discover gems like this, i remember few years back i used to not like dire straits

now i am all over them

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #4,050 of 9,040
  i know this is not related to ak380, but i have been enjoying listening to mark knopfler and dire straits on my daps and u12, and my new asg 2.5

i just started liking that style of music especially dire straits songs like why worry, and brother in arms, it just makes me dive into another world

are there more bands like this, i know rorger waters might come close, but are more bands that provide such melancholy and amazing voice

definietly mark's voice and guitar playing is simply out of this world

the recording quality is simply so amazing, unlike what gets thrown out to us these days

google search for similar artists did not help alot

its so nice to discover gems like this, i remember few years back i used to not like dire straits

now i am all over them

I'll list a bunch of 80's groups that I listen to that I find are recoded well. They might not all be your cup of tea but hopefully you can find a few songs you like.

[size=x-small]Dire Straights Brothers in arms and Walk of Life are pretty amazing songs, also [/size]check[size=x-small] out Prices Bride as he wrote the soundtrack from that movie. Foreigner is one of my favourites (excellent singer), Billy Joel, Bob Seger lots of good songs but check out the song Turn The Page live the saxophone is stunning, Cat Stevens, Chicago, Bruce Springsteen (My Hometown), Don Henley (The Eagles), Fleetwood Mac, Gino Vannelli, Heart, Huey Lewis, Mike and The Mechanics, Steve Perry (Journey), Jeff Healey, Toto, U2, ZZ Top.[/size]

Hope this helped:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back